Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-09-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I do not know how to make it more simple so I will make it more complicated

Lets make the center of the bases for both deer as value "A"

Deer 1's eye spread value then is " A minus 5"
Deer 2's eye spread value then is "A plus 1"

There is no possible way this is the same deer. Regardless of the size of the each photo, if the deer in the photos were the same, then the relative values of the measurements would have to be the same. The smaller the increment of measurement (mm vs inches) the more accurate your ratio will be. But I could have measured it in inches and came up with the same results.

I am not even saying which deer is bigger because without a known value in the photo, there is no way to determine actual size. Same reason a cop put a dollar bill next to a suspect's foot print.
Well dang. Now that I look at it, I think you might be right. Good call. Definitely learned me somethin new

What he's saying fellas, it that the space between the bases is significantly different between the two pics. If in fact the pics are an accurate representation, those are two different deer that are closely related.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:04 PM

For what it's worth I believe they are the same deer. Too many similarities in facial, coloring and antler features. The measurement thing that's being discussed doesn't add up to me. Not that I'm a mathematical expert though. The biggest thing for me past the brow tines being almost identical is the coloring on the face. This deer has got some crazy dark coloring not seen on too many deer. It would seem pretty coincidental to me to see two deer in the same area with the same kind of unique coloring.

Edit- I also am not entirely convinced deer stop growing in their face past 4 years old. Again, that's my opinion. I'm not a biologist.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:00 PM

Forgot about this thread.

I must be stupid today because I still do not understand what Brendan's Dad is talking about. More clues for the stupid?

I am still pretty convinced that the two are different deer. To me the racks look different enough to conclude the deer is different and racks don't lie
Old 08-09-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Forgot about this thread.

I must be stupid today because I still do not understand what Brendan's Dad is talking about. More clues for the stupid?

I am still pretty convinced that the two are different deer. To me the racks look different enough to conclude the deer is different and racks don't lie

2 robberies occur and photos and obtained at both locations. Each suspect is photographed from the front and are wearing a tight nylon stocking mask. Image quality is poor and only the eyes and outline of the head can be made out. 1 photo is from inside a bank at approx. 25 feet and the other is taken from a ATM machine at approx. 3 feet. As long as I have both the the height and width of the head and the width of the eyes, I can use face recognition software which can measure to within a 1/1000th of an inch, to determine within about 90% accuracy if the 2 suspects are the same person. And the more reference points I obtain, the % of accuracy goes up.

All I did here was measure and compare 2 constant distance using the same points of reference on each deer to see if they were a match. In this case the numbers were so far off that there is no way that this is the same deer in both photos.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
As long as I have both the the height and width of the head and the width of the eyes
This clicked Thanks, Brendon's Dad!
Old 08-09-2017, 09:43 PM

I undersrand. There was missing info on your "scale" in first post. I thought you were measuring distance between eyes of each alone and concluding they were different without facturing in width/lenght if head.

Still think its the same deer however, twins?