Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-24-2017, 06:16 PM

Default Question on sheep

Just a quick question to see if I'm on the right track here. This will be my first year sheep hunting and Iv been scouting lots in one area. I have found a group of 15-20 ewes and some small lams. The more I glass
The more I find ewes usually along the bottom of a drainage, but I have yet to see a ram. Iv been classing high and low, figured if I found ewes the rams can't be to far away?

New to hunting sheep but it's been fun scouting so far. Thanks for your advice in advance!

Jim
Old 07-24-2017, 06:30 PM

Well they may not be far away they may not be close either. If your looking at ewes your Probably in the wrong bowl.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:16 AM

Rams don't like being around ewes in early fall.
Only in Nov.
Rams will be in bachelor groups as they call it .
I have talked to a few Bio guys that watched them over the summer and Rams are Quite Gay during the summer ,this might be why they don't hang around Ewes.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:10 AM

Thanks for your feedback, it's a good star. I'm going to move into the next bowl and start glassing this weekend.

Jim
Old 07-25-2017, 10:27 AM

It's not a hard and fast rule. I have seen bachelor groups graze with Ewes, bug them a bit and move off. However generally Rams will not hang out with the girls, but if you are seeing Ewes you are in the right country.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Only in Nov.
Rams will be in bachelor groups as they call it .
I have talked to a few Bio guys that watched them over the summer and Rams are Quite Gay during the summer ,this might be why they don't hang around Ewes.

"It's not "just a phase", dad."

It's refreshing to see the OP doing the work and asking legitimate questions. Keep up the hard work and scouting. I am sure it will pay off!
Old 07-25-2017, 11:23 AM

Watch those ewes tho , they can teach you a lot about the area and where the water holes and licks are. Rams will move in and out of those areas and when they do you will know the little hidy holes because you watched the ewes.
One of my best spots I have ewes all the time but the rams sit in the trees or under a real steep cliff that you can not see well. The rams come out and feed at first light and in the evening a bit but stay hidden for the most part.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post

It's refreshing to see the OP doing the work and asking legitimate questions. Keep up the hard work and scouting. I am sure it will pay off!
Agreed. Just reading the original post gives me confidence this guy is going to find what he's looking for and connect. I can't wait to follow this thread when he uploads pics of the hunt and a ram at the end of it all.

Keep at it JimPaul! Keep us posted too
Old 08-07-2017, 06:28 PM

You've got the right idea Jim, the rams will be a couple of bowls over, in one direction or another. Good luck
Old 08-07-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Only in Nov.
This is false information. Come October you better be keeping an eye on the ewes cause them old rams may be with the ewes or within eye sight of the ewes. Your from Calgary, I would look in Cliff Creek, rams like to hang out in there.