Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-04-2017, 09:25 PM

Default Range finding Binos ?

Hey all,

looking to purchase some Swarovski EL range 10X42s.
Any one have any experience with them? or recommend something else in the price range?

thanks!
Old 08-05-2017, 10:56 AM

I got 1 of the first 50 that landed in Canada 6 or 7 years ago
I love them, still on the same battery , never any trouble
They don't range under 33 yards , not the pick for bow hunters
I would buy a pair again.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:00 PM

In that price range I thinks it's between them and the leicas. I can't see you being unhappy with either option.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Banned

I have Zeiss range finding binos, I recommend them. I'm sure swaros are at least as good.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:32 PM

Default I have Leica

and they are great but as has been said you really cant go wrong with the three top brands being Swaro, Zeiss or Leica.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:33 PM

I have researched this topic quite extensively.

In that price range the hands down best range finding binocular is the Leica. The exceptional glass and ballistic calculator that you can upload your own ballistic information onto that will calculate various factors to give you instant elevation corrections makes the Leica the best choice. Cost is $3500

I own the Bushnell 12x50 Fusion 1-Mile Range finding bino and feel it is by far the best bang for your buck. It does not have the same ballistic calculator that the Leica has but I am able to make my own elevation corrections for my rifles. This bino was $1300.

Obviously you want 2-1 feature but if your spending $3500 on the Leica's I would strongly suggest that you look at the G7 BR2 rangefinder for $2000 and get a pair of Vortex Razor HD binoculars for $1000. This is a better combo than the Leica but you don't get the 2-1 feature. The G7 BR2 is a beast and will be the best rangefinder you ever own. This personally would be the route i would go if your dropping that much $

Happy shopping.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Hunter View Post
I have researched this topic quite extensively.

In that price range the hands down best range finding binocular is the Leica. The exceptional glass and ballistic calculator that you can upload your own ballistic information onto that will calculate various factors to give you instant elevation corrections makes the Leica the best choice. Cost is $3500

I own the Bushnell 12x50 Fusion 1-Mile Range finding bino and feel it is by far the best bang for your buck. It does not have the same ballistic calculator that the Leica has but I am able to make my own elevation corrections for my rifles. This bino was $1300.

Obviously you want 2-1 feature but if your spending $3500 on the Leica's I would strongly suggest that you look at the G7 BR2 rangefinder for $2000 and get a pair of Vortex Razor HD binoculars for $1000. This is a better combo than the Leica but you don't get the 2-1 feature. The G7 BR2 is a beast and will be the best rangefinder you ever own. This personally would be the route i would go if your dropping that much $

Happy shopping.
I agree, I had the Bushnell 12x50 Fusions as well and wish I could find a new pair. I lost mine in a house fire and have been looking hard to replace them. Next to over priced US Ebay auctions I haven't been having much luck. I really don't need the crazy priced Range finding binos for how well the Fusions worked. Range easily up to 1650yds no problem, very consistent as well too.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Hunter View Post
Leica the best choice. Cost is $3500
If that is the cost definitely go Leica. Zeiss and Swaro are over $4000.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:10 PM

Default Just my opinion

but I think Swaro, Zeiss and Leica optics and rangefinders are in a league of their own and cant be reasonably compared to Vortex or Bushnell. Both are cheaper for a reason. G7 rangefinders are large beam divergence so has a beam that expands getting wider at distance so while they will range longer distance they cannot capture as small an object (such as a deer) the way small beam divergence units (swaro, Leica and Zeiss) can.
With a large beam unit aimed at the deer you may actually be ranging a spruce tree off to the side in foreground or background. Field testing of large beam units also found problems using them in simulated rain conditions as they would capture the water droplets for a false reading.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:11 AM

Price being equal, you need to look through both to see what your eye prefers.

The Geovids are currently 4300$ while the EL range between 4000-4100$.

The EL range is an amazing piece of glass with superior coatings and much better light transmission at 91% vs the Geovids under 80% (could have changed in their new model but information isn't given)

Don't know about their new 2200 version of the Geovids though on their last version, the EL range had better fov numbers as well. The EL range are also a few ounces lighter and their overal size is smaller.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:29 AM

For most guys shooting long distance most have turrets on their scope so really the balistics calculator is not even useful. I have the Sworo Balistic turret and just need to know how far it is to the target. Both Sworo and Leica have the elevation range finder which is why I am looking at them both.
Sworo for me has had a way brighter and clearer picture but they are also way more money.
Sworo is also a lot lighter I think but have not looked at the specs.
Sworo is my pic but I still can't justify spending that kind of money on them right now.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:59 PM

thanks for all the feedback,

i did borrow a set of the leicas a while back, and did really like them. i may need a side by side with the sworo's to see if the difference is really worth the premium.