Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2009, 06:42 PM

Default Call from Fish and Wildlife

Just woundering how many others got calls from F&W to find out if you filled your draw tags.

Gramps
Old 01-10-2009, 06:50 PM

Default calls from f&g

I did but just regarding one tag A.M.D. I dont know why they cant get all the info since they have you on the line anyways.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:15 PM

You got the call from F & W or F & G ?? Here, surveys are done by F & G clubs.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:26 PM

Default mule deer and elk

I guess this year they are only doing mule deer and elk. Next year it will be part of Relm.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:35 PM

Got a call from a volunteer regarding my moose draw. Fish and Wildlife doesn't usually do these surveys.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:38 PM

First off it is a survey conducted by your local F&G Club or in our case the local Air Cadet Squadron.

They do not ask on every tag you held quite often, they only take a cross section especially keying in on tags or species that may be of concern or in question.

The survey's are a pretty good revenue generator for many clubs, so please be courtious and helpfull.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-10-2009, 11:16 PM

That's really odd cause the Wct F&G usually does it every year but this year we weren't asked too. Kinda caught everybody by surprise, even the F&W officer.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
First off it is a survey conducted by your local F&G Club or in our case the local Air Cadet Squadron.

They do not ask on every tag you held quite often, they only take a cross section especially keying in on tags or species that may be of concern or in question.

The survey's are a pretty good revenue generator for many clubs, so please be courtious and helpfull.
For a lot of the small clubs it's one of they're main sources of income.When I did it a few years ago seems to me we got .50$ a tag.Got some pretty funny answers too.
The info gathered is important in regulating seasons,limits etc.
Yes please be courtious and helpful.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:04 PM

The guy that calls me every year is 6'4", 325 lbs. +....yeah, good idea to be courteous and helpful !!
Old 01-11-2009, 02:14 PM

Default F&W questions

Yes I think it was the Lethbridge club that did the calling. We did it back a few years and at .50 per call and 200 calls plus the fact you all know how hunters like to b.s. it just got too time consuming. I hope they get more than.50 now.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
The guy that calls me every year is 6'4", 325 lbs. +....yeah, good idea to be courteous and helpful !!
just buy him a pilsner and he is like a teddy bear............lol
Old 01-12-2009, 08:16 AM

lol, Trav, yeah, I know...pil is his downfall !!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:31 PM

Yeah I got the call, it took about 5 mins. Glad to provide the info.
LB
Old 01-12-2009, 07:52 PM

Usually about this time of year the F&G clubs do it. I think it was around .75 / call. I haven't heard that we weren't be going to do it this year I may have to make an inquirery or two...
Old 01-12-2009, 09:02 PM

Default Call

Got my call tonight.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:20 PM

I used to do the survey every year, but haven't for some time now.
it was interesting the the responses - ranging from totally helpful to completly PARANOID!!
" I'm not going to tel you &&^%rs where I hunted or what i got, you're just trying to trick me into admitting something!"
jeepers, some people need to cut down on the cowboy coffee!!
Cat
Old 01-13-2009, 05:18 AM

Default Phone Surveys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Al View Post
Usually about this time of year the F&G clubs do it. I think it was around .75 / call. I haven't heard that we weren't be going to do it this year I may have to make an inquirery or two...
It is through the SRD dept. that they draft any of the local clubs, mostly F & G to help out. The last couple of years we were getting $0.75 for every COMPLETED survey. Two years ago our club got over a $1000.00 so figure out how many phone calls that is. The surveys are divided up into the prefix's so as not to induce Long Distance charges for the VOLUNTEER PHONERS. The number of surveys was really reduced this year to be mostly just about your Draws that you got, not to many on General licenses or birdgame. They are trying to get this type of survey on the net (Wildalberta or your RELM web pages) So when they do cal, just answer the questions and it should only take about 45 seconds for each one. I dont know how many people I called that would not listen to the question. The first question could be "Did you get out hunting antlerless moose in wmu 350?" and the guy would say "no, no didn't get any at all" so you would repeat this question a couple of times and then the fella would finally say, "Yeh we spent 5 days out there but we didn't get any". Well the second question is "how many days did you spend" and then the clincher is "Were you successful?" so now you wasted about three minutes trying to dig out of him if he went hunting after that particular species in that WMU and for how long and if you got anything. All in all, it is interesting to do. This year we only had a 100 to do per volunteer but in previous years it was around 250 per.