Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Banned

Default Two Thank-you's owed.....

Just a quick message for a couple of nice gentemen that helped me on 2 seperate occations this weekend.
First was Saturday morning around Stavely; as I watched a jeep in front of me spin out of control and hit the ditch. I stopped right away and waited until a safe opportunity and went in behind him to yank him out. Then there were 2 trucks stuck in the ditch north of Stavely.
Well, grain shovels make the best snow shovels, so I went to it......and while this was happening, 3 more trucks hit the ditch about a 1/4 mile back and one actually rolled pretty bad (anyone hear if he/she is ok?). Within 10 minutes, the fire and ambulance rolled by to where the wreck was. Then a nice man in a grey Dodge stopped where we were at. He yanked the jeep out first then came back for me. Proper thanks were not given; due to the fact we were both trying to get the heck of that stretch of highway in a hurry as cars/trucks were sliding all over the place. Anyways, I hope that man is reading this as I (and the fellow AO member with me) owe you a bottle of something.
Then today. Travelling westbound from Calgary to Banff we had just got thru Canmore when out of the corner of my eye I caught a herd of elk in the center ditch. Knowing they were trying to cross I stopped and put on my 4-ways. 3 people roared by me doing 120 between my truck and the elk and I decided to get the heck off that road because I knew something was gonna happen. I pulled right off the road onto the right shoulder and put the flashers on. As soon as the elk got up on the shoulder, the cars stated to stop. As the elk crossed the highway and went down thru the north ditch and up the hill, there is a fence. The bottom halk is page-wire and the top 3 strands were barb wire. One of the elk mistimed his jump and got hung up in the fence. It was one of the saddest things I have seen in my life. Half the herd had crossed safely, but half had not and now were kind of scattering every-which-way. I had got out by now, and one gentelman told me he had just called the RCMP about the cow stuck. I guess everyone else had assumed the elk had done their thing and it was now safe to proceed down the highway at 487kph again........I told the two English gentelmen that I would go free the elk if they could stop the cars; so a deal was made. She was wrapped once by her hind hoof and it took some doing, but got her free. She bounced right up and joined the herd up on the hill. I would like to thank everyone for the handshakes that followed, but the 2 gentelmen in particular that put their lives on the line for those animals. Again; your next beer is on me.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:46 PM

Nice to hear there is still some decent folks in this otherwise Crappy world.Good on them!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:07 PM

Well done, Bobby! Way to step up. Kudos to you et al.

Tree
Old 01-11-2009, 08:15 PM

And a big thanks to you too....Bobby! Good carma will follow you.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:58 PM

Well done, good on ya'!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Banned

Thanks guys!