Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-09-2008, 03:35 PM

Default More newbie questions

For those of you with a lot of experience how good should one become with a bow before hunting. For example what size group should be the minimum accuracy for a hunter at 30 yrds . 2" 6" 8" ...? I know this is a subjective question but I'm curious as to your opinions.

Second- Where is the best deal on arrows to be found. Online or otherwise.

( This question is because I am genetically programed to be cheap)
Old 12-09-2008, 04:00 PM

Default comfort..?

how good can you shoot? whats your group size? are you consistent?

Me and my friends all started shooting around 8 years ago, I was given varied opinions on this.

The one I stand by is take a paper plate and fold it in half, set it out at 30 yards. Dont draw dots or circles on it or anything(there are none on a deer.

Shoot this paper plate...if you can hit the plate. I dont want you shooting at me at 30 yards So i'd say your good nuf to hunt.

I assume that the folding it in half thing was to break up the shape and make it more diffucult to shoot than a circle. I dno, but I did it 8 years ago and I've never thought about it since.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE...shoot 3d targets that will simulate real deer and use real hunting situations...
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:17 PM

I used the plate method as well,except with out folding.. if you can consistently place arrow after arrow an 8" circle ( this being roughly the vital size of a deer, which includes lungs,heart and liver) your good to go. To get your confidence up more, and shrink your groups. start shooting smaller targets. like a 6" plate. then a 4"x4" paper and so on.

Practice Practice!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munyee4321 View Post
I used the plate method as well,except with out folding.. if you can consistently place arrow after arrow an 8" circle ( this being roughly the vital size of a deer, which includes lungs,heart and liver) your good to go. To get your confidence up more, and shrink your groups. start shooting smaller targets. like a 6" plate. then a 4"x4" paper and so on.

Practice Practice!
one thing my Archery coach stresses is to never shoot at anything that is square something to do with mental process in your head, not sure but he also says you never shoot at anything in the real world that is square everything is round, fita targets are round, 3d target vitals are round, live deer vitals are roundish.......lol

I shoot at a 3 inch dot all summer at 70 yards so that when I have to shoot at hunting distances it is easy to hit, and I have the confidence to do it at 70 so I know that I can do it at closer ranges suitable to hunting. I dont have anything sighted in past 40 yards on my hunting bow.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:49 PM

True..... about not shooting anything square in real world
they are just easier to rip then circles lol

So i'll rephrase that.... shoot small circular targets, those corners on the squares might distract you
Old 12-09-2008, 09:10 PM

Default varied opinions

I think that the off shape was to get me away from shooting the center of the plate, or aiming for the center of the plate. In the field there is no center, I dont really know?? hard to explain and he is passed away so I cant call and ask...Hmmm...

He never said shoot a square though so...there ya go...
"If it gobbles, quacks, bugles or grunts, chances are I’ve chased it more than a time or two. Droppin’ the hammer and closin’ the coffin on anything with antlers, feathers or fur just never gets old."
Micheal Waddell....... just a cool cat IMO

"there is more fun in hunting with the handi cap of a bow than the sureness of a gun."
Fred Bear........ probobly the greatest hunter to ever live, definately the most respected.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:57 AM

Well the more you practice the better you will get obviously. And as everyone has said try shooting a small target around 6 inches or so until you can hit it consistantly. I would also suggest picking up a decoy of a deer you can shoot at. One that has faint outlines of the vital areas works well. i shoot one and at 30 to 40 yards you can't see the outlines so it comes down to puttin it right behind the shoulder over and over. I don't think shooting at a square or cirlce is bad, but try to make your practice shots as real as possible with decoys and even shooting out of a stand...if thats how you hunt. You should be shooting better in no time.