Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2013, 11:26 PM

Default Marmot Basin Skiing (Jasper)

So in the past 2 years I've only been to the "school house chair" and i'm completing in confidently so I was thinking to go for the next step. I'm thinking of trying the "Eagle Express Quad Chair". Has anyone been there and can recommend ? What's the next level after the school house ? How steep is it compared to school house ? I'm going to Jasper this coming weekend so your help will be much appreciated.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdanielkli View Post

So in the past 2 years I've only been to the "school house chair" and i'm completing in confidently so I was thinking to go for the next step. I'm thinking of trying the "Eagle Express Quad Chair". Has anyone been there and can recommend ? What's the next level after the school house ? How steep is it compared to school house ? I'm going to Jasper this coming weekend so your help will be much appreciated.

Easy, Beginner runs From the top of Eagle. You'll Be fine.

Have Fun
Old 12-17-2013, 12:09 AM
Banned

Right off the chair...ski around snowboarders laying all over the place (said in my grumpy old man voice), ski a bit down a little hill going back the way the chair lift came from, take a left and a bit of a steep hill (not too steep) for a short piece wide open and pretty easy, and the rest is very easy. If you've spent a day or two up and down schoolhouse already, you'll have no problemo.

Last edited by rugatika; 12-17-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:55 AM

Paging Big Bull........Big Bull, you out there?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:33 AM

Haven't skied at Marmot, but most hills have a "ski host" program where you can get a free guided tour of the hill. Just be honest about your abilities and they will keep to terrain you can handle.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:00 AM

That's my favorite hill. Lots of good snow right now (well, last week anyway).
Old 12-17-2013, 11:12 AM

Great Hill.

I think you'll be fine on the Eagle Express, follow the Green run down, even the blue isn't too bad once you have your feet under you.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:33 AM

Live a little. If you have been skiing 2 years you should be able to get down any beginner or intermediate run (maybe not in great style, but you can get down). No need to go online to get advice about this. Just refer to the map and the signs on the hill. Have fun!
Old 12-17-2013, 01:34 PM

Time to spread your wings and try the Eagle Express quad chair. From there, take Sleepy Hollow(the steepest run that you will have to ski, not that steep), then you can turn off on Tranquilizer(intermediate) or carry on to Bunny Hop or Old Road and then onto School House. You could even venture to the Paradise Chalet via Chalet Express. When there is lots of snow, you would also be fine riding the Canadian Rockies Express, ParadiseChair, or Eagle Ridge chair, but natural snow is scarce right now, and I consider the upper mountain not ski worthy at the monment. Sleepy Hollow, Bunny Hop, Tranquilizer, Old Road, and School House all have man made snow on them and are groomed every night.
Those are the only runs that I am skiing right now because the natural snowpack is too thin, in my opinion. Another option would be to hire an instructor for a private lesson. Have fun, there's a whole lot more to ski than the School House chair!