Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-25-2008, 05:12 AM

Default How do you carry your arrows while hunting?

I never liked the idea of putting my quiver on the bow. I have a Sidewinder, which attaches a Quickee quiver to your belt. It is all right, but can be a PITA when going through thick bush. Arrows can easily fall out! Any recommendations on any other products? Thanks!!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:55 AM

G' Day Sinawalli,

Mate I have always prefered my quiver mounted on my bow, I have a few mates that have tried hip mounted (on belt) setups and most found the same troubles you mentioned.

There were a couple of young Lads hunting the mountians in Victoria over here last year, it was raining and one of them slipped, he ended up with 3 razor sharp arrows in himself two into his thigh and one in his hand, he was very lucky that he just missed the main artery in his thigh. Certainly cured me of the notion of using that type of setup.

There are a few other options out there;

The cat quiver (backpack type)

I have seen self made tube type quivers that can be mounted to the side of a back pack

You could go trad and go with the leather back quiver (Robin Hood Style)

Hope this helps.

Cheers Noel
Old 09-25-2008, 07:09 AM

I have a quiver that mounts to my bow it came as part of the set up from Bowtech. The quiver holds 6 arrows when full but I find it better to only have 3 on it as it makes them alot more accessable. My only complaint is that I have to be diligent in keeping the arrows "bottomed out" in the foam otherwise they can vibrate loose. I've seen a bow mounted quiver called Octane that I would like to try, it has a metalic hood that's supposed to keep broadheads firmly in place, it's spposed to work well with expandables too.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:40 AM

I use an alpine archery soft lock which I really like. Mine holds 5 arrows but with broadheads I ussually only put in 3. It is quick, easy and quiet to remove from your bow if needed and the same to get back on. The quiver can be slid some up and down, so you can easily adjust it to hold your arrows within the axles of your bow.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Banned

best place for arrows is on the bow imo...i prefer the fixed factory type quivers to match the bow....that way you can never have the arrows anywhere else.....so when you need to get at them quick or even for a follow up etc. then they are where they should be.....not god knows where which is what will happen to you someday if you don't do it that way....i even watched the boys on hunting canada and beyond prove me right on t.v., dropped the quiver at a fenceline while stalking a big muley, gets 30 yrds, takes his shot and misses and the deer hopps 5 yrds and stands there for 5 minutes while dodo was stuck on the prairie holding his bag....probably wishing he'd never bought a detach quiver at that moment i'm guessing? lol....

that is merely but one of a million scenerios that can happen with a detach quiver.......my vote is don't do it.....so what if you have to load it up at the truck for each hunt....that little bit of hassle is nothing because your at the truck, whats another 30 seconds AT THE TRUCK? nothing....good luck with your choice
Old 09-25-2008, 09:42 AM

I've got 5 quivers. In a tree stand the quiver comes off. So far this season I have been walking around with a 3 arrow qwickie quiver. I just don't like lunking around a big quiver full of arrows on my bow. Never have and probably never will. Up until this year I just took the quiver off my bow and tied it to the outside of my backpack. I fastened it so I could reach around to pull out an arrow.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:23 AM

Default arrows

My system goes thru my belt loop which is attached to my fanny pack and then the bottom of the arrow holder has a strap that goes around my leg just above the knee. I like this system because it does not weigh my bow down and it does not get caught up in the bush, it is adjustable and holds broadheads flawlessly. In the treestands i can unbuckle my pack and hang it and it never changes the weight or physical state of my bow so that it always shoots the same in every application
Old 09-25-2008, 09:02 PM

Quiver is on my bow. I carry my bow on a bow sling. As well I carry a arrow in my hand at all time and can be notched in a split second

AL
Old 09-25-2008, 10:01 PM

I have the attached one on my bowtech and found that putting the foam piece at the bottom of the bow and having the fletchings at the top of the bow prevented the arrows from loosening up and falling down. Didn't have to worry at all since using the quiver that way.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:48 PM

I used a cat quiver for a few years and found it to work well. I liked it for stalking less to catch on if crawling around. Easy to get the arrows out.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:15 PM

Default Quiver

I use a back quiver. Nothing on the bow or hip. It's a short reach over my right shoulder and I can bring them out quickly for a quick second shot if need be. I do shoot a Fred Bear Kodiak Magnum (recurve).
Old 09-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardslc View Post
I have the attached one on my bowtech and found that putting the foam piece at the bottom of the bow and having the fletchings at the top of the bow prevented the arrows from loosening up and falling down. Didn't have to worry at all since using the quiver that way.

dude, awesome idea, i currently don't have a problem with arrows slipping on my mathews set up but if i could flip the pieces upside down i probably would...because its when you shoot that they will slip....so they'd be pointing the right way for that problem...just get the grippers set up right for the arrows and your good to go.....anyhow that is a great tip!
Old 09-27-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardslc View Post
Try Bowtechs Octane Quiver, magnetic so no need to worry about them ever falling again or about the expandables ever opening from putting them in or out. I have one and you cannot shake the arrows out of it even if it is not cllipped in the magnets keep them where they are supposed to be
Old 09-27-2008, 11:47 PM

I just bought the cat quiver. Haven't put it to the test yet, but it seems to be a secure setup, out of the way(on the back) and easy access.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post
I just bought the cat quiver. Haven't put it to the test yet, but it seems to be a secure setup, out of the way(on the back) and easy access.
I have a cat quiver , one of the big models that will take 100lbs of weight and it holds 6 broadheads easily.
It keeps my fletches dry and I can stalk and draw an arrow silently with it.
Use it sheep hunting in '92 and thought that it was the next best thing to sliced bread!

One thing I did with mine was reinforce the broahead plate with sheet metal.

BTW, if you have to lay down on the ground, unbuckle the waist belt - this will let you get into any position you wish .
Cat
Old 09-30-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilson_99 View Post
I use an alpine archery soft lock which I really like. Mine holds 5 arrows but with broadheads I ussually only put in 3. It is quick, easy and quiet to remove from your bow if needed and the same to get back on. The quiver can be slid some up and down, so you can easily adjust it to hold your arrows within the axles of your bow.
x2 I've used mine since they first came out and it is still working great no matter how cold or how hot.Adjustable up and down so no matter the bow size it will work.Quick and quiet to take off and put back on also.Best quiver on the market I think.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:51 PM

Practice practice practice with a quiver , eventually you'll never know it's there !!
When you practice , make sure you have the same number of arrows in your quiver as you would when hunting. You'll get use to the weight and wa-la , deer down !!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:10 PM

When I first started shooting the compound everyone had bow mounted quivers and they held what seemed to be 8 to 12 arrows. I hated the idea and wanted something smaller but went with a leg/belt unit. Now you can get lots of bow mounted units that are 3/4/5/6 arrows so any size you want. I used a 1 arrow unit for a while on my recurve to get used to the idea and then bought a 4 arrow quiver. On the bow was the handiest while hunting and for control while stalking. I figure if you need more arrows go with a 3 arrow alpine on the bow and a cat quiver on your back. Good combo.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 10-17-2008, 09:40 PM

3 arrow quickie quiver fits the bill. Light,quiet and solid. Who needs more than 3 arrows??
Old 10-17-2008, 10:24 PM

this is the bow quiver I like. real compact.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post

I did that too, first stalk on an elk required lots of hands/knees...didn't like it at all...super uncomfortable and jabbin ya etc, was a total pain in the arse.

Back to the permanent quiver on the bow....i tried everything about ever part of archery tackle i could find looking for the next best thing.

I also tried the 3 arrow quiver from kwikee....tiny and worked okay but i just hate quivers that aren't permanent on the bow...i don't like kwikee because they stick out from bow too far and too wiggly for me....the permanent ones are the best and lowest profile imo, and rock solid...they feel like part of the bow, like you could do more damage to the bow in the field and come out ahead compared to if you had some springy plastic quiver hangin off the side of it. I shoot mathews though....their quiver rocks....5 arrows. Gives room for a judo tipped one for the chickens/stump shooting etc.

Tried this, tried that....the permanent fixed is the only way to fly. If you believe in the whisker bisquit then you'll probably like this way to do it also. Simple is always better when it comes to this bowhunting thing, we have enough variables to deal with....just what a guy needs is to be reaching around his back lookin for arrows in the heat of the moment.

Okay, thats my last 2 cents....really.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger4 View Post
Practice practice practice with a quiver , eventually you'll never know it's there !!
When you practice , make sure you have the same number of arrows in your quiver as you would when hunting. You'll get use to the weight and wa-la , deer down !!
X2, this is an obvious one....always have the quiver on your bow when practicing....another vote for the permanent here too...you can't not do it
Old 10-21-2008, 12:57 PM

Kwikee Quiver on the bow.

I always find it amusing to watch "that guy" with the thigh quiver as he tries to belly crawl across the open or navigate rough bush.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Kwikee Quiver on the bow.

I always find it amusing to watch "that guy" with the thigh quiver as he tries to belly crawl across the open or navigate rough bush.
never had a problem belly crawling with a hip quiver. I always ditched it when I was worried about the extra movement. Bow quivers have their own devils to deal with. The biggest one and the most detrimental is how loud they can make a bow with all of the extra parts to move. I went back to a bow quiver because I wanted to get hunting quicker. That's something that's hard to do when you find yourself strapping on the quiver & then there's the pack etc. I'm not sure how I'm going to do things next year.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:27 PM

I use the O.L Adcock side stalker in 4 and 6 arrow models for hunting.These are custom made by Art Vincent at Cedar Ridge leather works in Tennesee. www.archeryleather.com
These are the best quiver I have found.You can slide them behind your back in thick stuff, and they are silent.
I have never had an arrow fall out , but arrow removal is quick and easy.

For Target/3D I use Art's Pocket quiver.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:23 PM

Default Quivers

Doesn't matter which you use but it sure is nice to get that crap off of the bow especially trying to shoot in the wind! Catquiver for sure any model.