Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-10-2008, 08:53 PM

Talking I didn't miss

The title is for you Treeguy.

It was one of the mornings when you have to go back in the house 3 or 4 times because you kept forgetting things. That behind said, I did manage to get into my tree stand without spooking any deer just before day break. It was a damp foggy morning but not a breath of wind and temperate steady at 0 degrees. I set up my estrus scent whicks on the way in and around 1 hour into the morning a little buck all of sudden appeared in full body not more than 40 yards away. Its amazing how they can do that. Anyway, he wandered back and forth between scraps adn rubs, stopping constantly to sniff the air, then the ground and not really on a schedule or plan. I had the adrenaline surege going full force again - heart pumping, breathing fast and a little shaky. I just love watching those deer up close without them knowing you are around waiting for them to make their final mistake. Its a real rush for me and I hope it never goes away. Finally after about 15 minutes of making me sweat, he stepped into a 26 yard shooting lane. It wasn't my best shot and I'm not sure what happened but I hit a little to close to the shoulder but managed to penetrate 1/3 of the arrow. I heard a big WHACK so I knew I hit some bone. He took off under neath a barb wire fence over some deadfall and headed south until I could hear no more. I gathered my gear and climbed down. It was a pretty easy tracking job and I found him 2 minutes later only 55 meters away - a good lung shot with the 2 blade rages again.

2 hours later he was skinned in the garage and the tenderloins in the fridge.

Last edited by BigRackLover; 11-10-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:18 PM

Good job, I'm still out with the bow trying for my first kill. What are you using for scent wicks and how do you use them? Any help appreciated. Do you think it works to rattle for Mule Deer?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:18 PM

Default big rack

right on bigrack gotta love that.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
Good job, I'm still out with the bow trying for my first kill. What are you using for scent wicks and how do you use them? Any help appreciated. Do you think it works to rattle for Mule Deer?
I am using HS Scent Waffers (Doe Estrus) but anything will work. Get some estrus scent right now (Nov -10 - 20th) as that's what bucks are cruising for.

They are 2 rules to hunting deer in the rut.
1. Hunt where deer are.
2. Once you got #1 figured out, hunt as many hours as possible.

Everything else is BS, luck, theory, plans or some combination.

I'm not really a mulie expert but if you know of an area with a high buck to doe ratio, rattling should work. I have never hunted mulies in the rut.

As for scent estrus setup, watch the wind and use it to your advantage. Place the scent upwind of your position and the deer will come check it out via downwind but just place yourself a little off the wind line direction. Make sure you plan some shooting lanes. Of course you need to get yourself within a 1/2 - 1/4 mile of some deer. Setup multiple scent spots seperated by 100 yards if necessary to saturated the area with estrus smell. Cruising bucks will investigate all day long if needed until they find the doe. Myself (the hunter) I generally go scent free in around 25 yard radius and use scent cover up. Also, place your scent about eye level in a open area where the wind can carry them far.

Another strategy is to drap a scent line through an area bucks are likely to cross. Hopefully they pick it the trail and follow it to your ambush area.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:10 AM

Thanks for the 'tip o the hat' ya jerk! Mrs Tree's magpie would probably outscore that one!

Congrats on a gooder. I should be back out on Friday depending on how long I have to spend in the crown prosecutor's office (long story). 3 new stands and 2 double bull blinds are going in tomorrow morning. Late, but based on 17 seasons on that section. They're still pretty tolerant.

Stay tuned.

Tree
Old 11-11-2008, 08:08 AM

Congrats BRL, he'll be good eatin'.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Thanks for the 'tip o the hat' ya jerk! Mrs Tree's magpie would probably outscore that one!

Thanks for being a good sport - the title just occured to me as I was posting. I may have missed if it was 50 yards out like yours. He ain't no wall hanger but another memorable animal for me with an arrow.

2 double bull blinds? Sounds like you have lots of room ... anytime you need another set of eyes to watch out for Mr. Big, let me know
Old 11-11-2008, 11:29 AM

Default dark?

why does it look so dark in the pic if it was a morning hunt? or did you retreive him in the evening?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
why does it look so dark in the pic if it was a morning hunt? or did you retreive him in the evening?
Because our digital camera broke so I was using a film camera from my old homemade trail cam with old film. It was 8:45am when I took those.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:39 AM

Default ok

from all your other postings, i dint think you would do that,srry. nice young buck.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:11 PM

Default Lac St. Ann county and the bow zone

Hi all, can anyone tell me what's going on out there. I've been hunting the edge of the bow zone for the last 4 years and this year is the only year where gun fire is heard on a regular basis inside the zone. edge of 43 and south of 37. It's like I'min Iraq. and I'm not wearing orange. Any one experience the same?