Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-04-2008, 07:55 PM

Default calf moose hunting

I drew a tag for a calf moose in 360, up near Lesser Slave Lake. I have a .270and 30-30 but I'd rather take a calf with my bow. Now at the risk of sounding silly, how difficult is it to approach a calf? Are they near impossible to sneak up on like a deer or easy like a bull moose? Should my tactic be similar to deer - sit morning and evening in a likely location to see em and stalk or sleep in the afternoon?

I can only carry a bow or rifle if I am going for long walks so I need to decide what the odds are of getting within 30 yards of a calf.

Thanks for any input!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Eyeswideshut

I would use a rifle for the calf, gives more opportunity if you have a longer shot.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:39 PM

just make sure you watch momma she might not like you getting to close to her calf.

Friend shot calf last year and momma would not let them near it for 5 hours she charged and stood her ground no matter what finally she got tired and walked away, but she still stuck around and made them very nervous
Old 11-04-2008, 09:59 PM

oh, that would make me sooo sad. you've made me sad just thinking about it...yes I am a big wimp!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:06 PM

It's a wild animal, so getting close to a calf (with most likely a cow around) means beating 4 eyes and 2 noses. It'll be a tough stalk for sure and likely they'll be in wintering feeding ground now (aka small bushes with no shooting lanes for archery) so carry a rifle would defineyly increase your odds.

Of course if you can spot cow/calf and somewhat pattern them, you might be able to sit them out in a likely location and get a shot.

Good luck either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tth_12032 View Post
I drew a tag for a calf moose in 360, up near Lesser Slave Lake. I have a .270and 30-30 but I'd rather take a calf with my bow. Now at the risk of sounding silly, how difficult is it to approach a calf? Are they near impossible to sneak up on like a deer or easy like a bull moose? Should my tactic be similar to deer - sit morning and evening in a likely location to see em and stalk or sleep in the afternoon?

I can only carry a bow or rifle if I am going for long walks so I need to decide what the odds are of getting within 30 yards of a calf.

Thanks for any input!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Banned

Its never been much of a issue with me.
3 Calf moose
2 Head shots
All at under 60 yards.

MMMMMMM
Calf moose. Make sure you get a bit ground up.. It goes great on anything.
Hamburger jelper, Lasagna, Shepards pie, Hamburger soup, nachos.. You get the drift.

Jamie
Old 11-04-2008, 10:36 PM

post a hamburger soup recipe please