Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-17-2020, 09:08 AM

Default Hiking and Scouting Pictures 2020

Throughout the summer I've managed a fair number of hiking/scouting trips into the alpine. I revisited some of my favourites and managed a couple of new spots as well. Since most of the hikes were with family and friends any real time behind the glass was limited.

Trails and sign were duly noted, access routes confirmed, potential campsites found, and very importantly available water sources(not usually a problem here but it's nice to confirm). I was also able to see for myself how the ridge lines, peaks, passes, and bowls connected. Google maps only gets you so far. I plan on hunting my usual areas but plan on adding at least a couple of new spots.

Since a few of the hikes were into alpine lakes my 4-piece flyrod saw some use this summer again. Most of the lakes had established backcountry camps so the chance to combine mule deer hunting with flyfishing for trout is an option for at least a couple of the trips.

Once again an ample snow pack and timely June/July rains ensure the alpine is still lush late into summer. I have a really good feeling about this upcoming season. A mature mule deer buck is the priority but as usual I always purchase an elk tag(six point or better) so if it's later in the season when the weather is cooler an elk would tempt me. Or if I come across a bull in one of the road closures where I can get my cart into I'd most likely shoot. I will however be concentrating on mule deer, elk would just be incidental.

I am extremely excited for this season, I have plans to spend every weekend packing into various alpine bowls and meadows. I get off work every Friday at noon so I'll be able to get into most of the spots I have picked early enough to set up camp and do an evening hunt, hunt all day Saturday, hunt the morning on Sunday and pack out sometime early afternoon. So until I tag out or the season ends in early November I'll be in places that look like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2213.jpg (84.7 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2218.jpg (108.5 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2216.jpg (71.2 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2192.jpg (79.4 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2205.jpg (62.2 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2181.jpg (94.1 KB, 167 views)
Old 08-17-2020, 09:33 AM

Those are great pics.The views are amazing.Best of luck to you on your quest for a big muley.Ive never once hiked in the mountains so its always cool to see someones adventures.I give credit to all hunters/outdoorsman that backpack into that country because of all the time and physical effort they put in.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:22 AM

It's certainly worth the effort, at the time it can be gruelling, but the scenery never disappoints and how often can you look down on a complete rainbow. Getting a buck on one of those trips is just icing, getting in there and staying a few days is the trophy. It does something for my head to get into the high country, especially solo, I'm totally concentrated, hyper alert, yet completely relaxed if that makes any sense. There's a mixture of awe, serenity, fear, and physical exertion that combine to really focus my mind. Blows out the cobwebs because you certainly have to stay alert out there.