Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 PM

Default Mathews Z7 tuning

Picked up the new Z7, and had some fun tuning it. Found the nock needs to be 1/8" high, and center about 11/16 off brace.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:27 AM

Default Tuning

I got mine just before Christmas and had to move the knock up as well. The rest is still 13/16" off the brace for me.

Great shooting bow, super quiet and smooth.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:07 AM

I had a similar issues with my last two hoyts. I tracked it down to fletch contact with the rest and raising the nock provided the extra additional clearance. However, I have long believed that giving your arrow some direction (with slightly nock high tune) can provide more shot-to-shot consistency, at least with field points and expandables. Be sure to check your broadhead flight, though.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:49 PM

Was planning on picking up the new Z7, just wondering if you guys liked yours. How fast are your arrows going? I have a switchback and a monster, was told the Z7 should be a lot like the switchback, just faster. Let me know if you could. Thanks a bunch!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:28 PM

Putting your nock higher does that mean you have string walk? I used to own a Matthews 3Dvapor back in 98 sold it a couple years later because I couldn't get it paper tuned. I am wandering if that wasn't the problem I had. Lost interest in archery because of it, up until this year.(Until I Played Archery on the Wii and got hooked again!!!!) That was when Matthews first brought the Solo cam out. and being 18 years old probably didn't help. Wish I still had that Heavy ol bow.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramguide View Post
Was planning on picking up the new Z7, just wondering if you guys liked yours. How fast are your arrows going? I have a switchback and a monster, was told the Z7 should be a lot like the switchback, just faster. Let me know if you could. Thanks a bunch!
The Z7 is running 288 to 296 ft/sec with an 342 gr arrow. Bow setting being 28" draw and set at 62 lbs. Is smooth and forgiving, an real joy to shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
Putting your nock higher does that mean you have string walk? I used to own a Matthews 3Dvapor back in 98 sold it a couple years later because I couldn't get it paper tuned. I am wandering if that wasn't the problem I had. Lost interest in archery because of it, up until this year.(Until I Played Archery on the Wii and got hooked again!!!!) That was when Matthews first brought the Solo cam out. and being 18 years old probably didn't help. Wish I still had that Heavy ol bow.
I understand moving the nock point from square, to be an requirement for single cam bows. This is due to how the one cam moves the nock point as it draws in the cable.

But not having a good paper tune can be due to other problems, such as an bad release (mechanical), arrow flech contact, spine, etc. Bullet holes on a paper tune is not required to have a bow shoot well. As long is it is close, the arrow will know what to due.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:30 PM

I shot a Scott rope Rope Release with spring trigger, 3d Rover Rest. I was shooting since about 1989. My first compound bow was a PSE Lighting Fire that cost me about 200 bucks. It was slow but boy was it a good shooting bow. Paper tuned perfect. Shot the best I ever did with that old bow. Saved my money up and bought that 3d Vapor. Loved the bow. I tried every thing. Couldn't get it tuned. But like I said it was when Matthews just entered the market and no one in my club really new about Solo Cams and you rarely seen anyone shoot them, so I was flying solo on it. I am not sure if anyone Remembers the Veteran Archery Club. I was one of the Young member of it. I shot about 60 to 100 arrows a night when I was in school. Sure do miss the sport can't wait to start shooting again.