Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-08-2020, 07:00 PM

Default Sako Black Bear.

Just wondering if anyone here owns one of these rifles, and what you're thoughts are on them. Also curious where a guy in northern AB could go to handle one before he orders as well. Thanks
Old 09-08-2020, 07:39 PM

A friend has a Black Bear in 308. Beautiful rifle and very typical characteristics to every other 85 that I own - great accuracy, nice balance, very smooth action. P&D might have a couple on the shelf.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:02 PM

Like all new Sakos, way overpriced. Add on top of that the widely known issues with failure to clear rounds because of hitting the scope, which they do nothing about, and I would never buy a new one. Btw, I have had at least a half dozen. They were all good, but not out of this world good. Just my two cents. Buy used if you do, and then you can pay what they are worth.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Like all new Sakos, way overpriced. Add on top of that the widely known issues with failure to clear rounds because of hitting the scope, which they do nothing about, and I would never buy a new one. Btw, I have had at least a half dozen. They were all good, but not out of this world good. Just my two cents. Buy used if you do, and then you can pay what they are worth.
And that's the truth.

There is no performance or accuracy improvement over the Tikka as far I could see.

Sure the fit and finish is better ........ but is it worth it?

I guess it depends on who you ask.

Kinda how I see it.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
And that's the truth.

There is no performance or accuracy improvement over the Tikka as far I could see.

Sure the fit and finish is better ........ but is it worth it?

I guess it depends on who you ask.

Kinda how I see it.
If anyone else currently offered a rifle in a similar configuration (prefferably with a better stock for that price) I would likely not be considering the Black Bear. Unfortunately, it is about the only current production rifle that offers everything I'm looking for without modification.

Being aware of the ejection issue, and under the understanding that it is more of a problem with longer cartridges, I'd planned on going with a .308. Feel free to talk me out of it though.

Last edited by Bushleague; 09-09-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:02 PM

To further elaborate, I've spent a good many years refining my hunting style, and experimenting with different rifles. At this point, through trial and error, I've decided I'm in the market for a quality bolt action carbine, preferably with iron sights, that is going to weigh in at about 7.5lb's trail side... so what would you guys recomend?

While I admit that I think the Black bear is over priced, with anything else I will either compromise on what I want which makes the upgrade more or less pointless, or I will need to pay a gun smith to do some modifications. Having mulled it over for the past few months, all things considered, the Black Bear has begun to make sense to me.

Last edited by Bushleague; 09-09-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
To further elaborate, I've spent a good many years refining my hunting style, and experimenting with different rifles. At this point, through trial and error, I've decided I'm in the market for a quality bolt action carbine, preferably with iron sights, that is going to weigh in at about 7.5lb's trail side... so what would you guys recomend?

While I admit that I think the Black bear is over priced, with anything else I will either compromise on what I want which makes the upgrade more or less pointless, or I will need to pay a gun smith to do some modifications. Having mulled it over for the past few months, all things considered, the Black Bear has begun to make sense to me.
Tikka Battue, and nice glass. You're welcome. This is the mount I run on mine
http://www.masina-tuote.com/?product...kka-t3&lang=en
Old 09-09-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
If anyone else currently offered a rifle in a similar configuration (prefferably with a better stock for that price) I would likely not be considering the Black Bear. Unfortunately, it is about the only current production rifle that offers everything I'm looking for without modification.

Being aware of the ejection issue, and under the understanding that it is more of a problem with longer cartridges, I'd planned on going with a .308. Feel free to talk me out of it though.
Had 1 in 270wsm. Would not eject any brass without hitting the scope and falling back into the action. Stoeger took it back and worked on it and sent it back. Now every 2nd or 3rd hit the scope. They actually took the rifle back. I wouldn't buy another
Old 09-09-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:

I hear you. It's a great combination of intermediate barrel length @ 20", has iron sights, all weather stock ………. there's a lot to like about it. I think they are cool. It also depends on how it fits you and how quickly you can acquire a target when you need to act in a hurry.

If you like it, get it. I had/have some rifles that don't make sense either - I just like them and think they suit a specialized purpose. That's what afflicts us all.

I carried a Remington 7600 pump in 30-06 for years as my bush carbine. Was not accurate at all (like 3 MOA), was loud when cycling, rattled in the bush (the fore stock would wiggle and click) but I loved it. It was, however, a cool gun I enjoyed. Was a great bush gun otherwise. Shot lot's of game with that rifle.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:04 PM

My Sako Bavarian did the same thing I just got different set of rings works great

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2020, 03:05 PM

My Sako Bavarian did the same thing I just got different set of rings works great.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
Tikka Battue, and nice glass. You're welcome. This is the mount I run on mine
http://www.masina-tuote.com/?product...kka-t3&lang=en
This x 10 ^^^^
Old 09-09-2020, 03:07 PM

I just can't see paying new price and rolling the dice with that stupid ejection issue. No way. No how.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I hear you. It's a great combination of intermediate barrel length @ 20", has iron sights, all weather stock ………. there's a lot to like about it. I think they are cool. It also depends on how it fits you and how quickly you can acquire a target when you need to act in a hurry.

If you like it, get it. I had/have some rifles that don't make sense either - I just like them and think they suit a specialized purpose. That's what afflicts us all.

I carried a Remington 7600 pump in 30-06 for years as my bush carbine. Was not accurate at all (like 3 MOA), was loud when cycling, rattled in the bush (the fore stock would wiggle and click) but I loved it. It was, however, a cool gun I enjoyed. Was a great bush gun otherwise. Shot lot's of game with that rifle.
I went through a pump phase myself, and there was a lot to like about them too. Both of mine shot under 1.5 moa with the first factory load I tried, never did any more experimentation so theres a good chance they could have shot much better than that. After a couple years I went back to bolt actions for a few minor reasons though, a couple of which you mentioned.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
This x 10 ^^^^
I've tried to like Tikka's in general, and the bateau in particular, and I just cant seem to do it. Which I fully admit is unfortunate at this point.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I've tried to like Tikka's in general, and the bateau in particular, and I just cant seem to do it. Which I fully admit is unfortunate at this point.
That Baute is almost a clone if I'm not mistaken - except for that rail ramp on the rear sight which, cosmetically, I hate the look of.

Not sure if the new ones have changed much. Nice platform.

I love the idea of Tikka's - but never shot one that didn't kick like a mule ….. almost rather shoot a 375 H&H over a Tikka Lite in 270 lol

Maybe they don't fit me - I dunno
Old 09-09-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
That Baute is almost a clone if I'm not mistaken - except for that rail ramp on the rear sight which, cosmetically, I hate the look of.

Not sure if the new ones have changed much. Nice platform.

I love the idea of Tikka's - but never shot one that didn't kick like a mule ….. almost rather shoot a 375 H&H over a Tikka Lite in 270 lol

Maybe they don't fit me - I dunno
My current rifle kicks like a mule too, I think it just comes with the territory and I'm fine with that. But yeah, that ramp sight sure doesnt do the rifle any favors.

So maybe I'm back to doing some work to my current rifle. Sinking a grand into a rifle that will only ever be worth $500 doesnt make very much sense, but perhaps it makes more sense than spending over 2k on a rifle that might not eject properly
Old 09-09-2020, 08:37 PM

The ejection problem is not as widespread as the forum suggests as it is the same story being spread by shooters that do not own a Sako 85. I know two guys on this forum that love to criticize the Sako for this issue but I know for a fact they have never owned or operated one of these rifles. They are only posting click bait.

In my personal locker I have 85s in every action length and have assembled many others for colleagues and friends, never once encountering the ejection issue. Most of the stories centre on the Medium action for 270/30-06 length actions. Again, none of my rifles nor those I assembled ever had this issue.

The only person I encountered that came close to this issue had a trailer park tactical scope with huge turrets. The ejected casings were hitting the extended windage turret, but were still exiting the receiver.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
My current rifle kicks like a mule too, I think it just comes with the territory and I'm fine with that. But yeah, that ramp sight sure doesnt do the rifle any favors.

So maybe I'm back to doing some work to my current rifle. Sinking a grand into a rifle that will only ever be worth $500 doesnt make very much sense, but perhaps it makes more sense than spending over 2k on a rifle that might not eject properly
I totally agree about the look of the rear sight but have your shouldered it? It’s wicked quick to draw my eye in. The proof is in the pudding. It’s a tool. And I can assure you used Battues aren’t $500 rifles unless you abuse guns. T3x has a decent recoil pad and a few nice upgrades vs original T3.

Recoil has n 308 is minimal, these aren’t ultralights. They have a beefy barrel.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:00 AM

I am not sure if they ever made one, but you can always see if you can find a Sako
Handi fiberclass. I’ve only seen them in a long action. 18 1/2” barrel with open sights, but only hinged floorplate. No dbm.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:06 AM

Had one in 9.3x62... brilliant rifle and very accurate ... would still have it but something shiny caught my eye ... also had 9.3x62 tikka battue but in cold weather the cheap magazine would not feed the round up ... never a problem with Sako and I have had 5 of them for a sample size from l579 to M85
Old 09-10-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
The ejection problem is not as widespread as the forum suggests as it is the same story being spread by shooters that do not own a Sako 85. I know two guys on this forum that love to criticize the Sako for this issue but I know for a fact they have never owned or operated one of these rifles. They are only posting click bait.

In my personal locker I have 85s in every action length and have assembled many others for colleagues and friends, never once encountering the ejection issue. Most of the stories centre on the Medium action for 270/30-06 length actions. Again, none of my rifles nor those I assembled ever had this issue.

The only person I encountered that came close to this issue had a trailer park tactical scope with huge turrets. The ejected casings were hitting the extended windage turret, but were still exiting the receiver.
Never happened to me either. Owned two .270 model 85s. Just cuz it didn't happen to me or you does not negate that it does happen. I haven't gotten Covid either, but thousands in hospital have.

Last edited by sns2; 09-10-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:23 AM

I recently purchased a A7 roughtech pro in 300 win mag. For perspective, I have a Leupold VX5 3-15x44 on it mounted in 0.885" (low) rings. The ejected shell makes contact with the windage knob cover, however with the cover removed it clears freely. I think if you went with a 1" tube scope with small turrets you shouldn't have an issue.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honker_clonker View Post
I recently purchased a A7 roughtech pro in 300 win mag. For perspective, I have a Leupold VX5 3-15x44 on it mounted in 0.885" (low) rings. The ejected shell makes contact with the windage knob cover, however with the cover removed it clears freely. I think if you went with a 1" tube scope with small turrets you shouldn't have an issue.
This is a model 85 issue not an A7 issue. Different actions.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
I totally agree about the look of the rear sight but have your shouldered it? It’s wicked quick to draw my eye in. The proof is in the pudding. It’s a tool. And I can assure you used Battues aren’t $500 rifles unless you abuse guns. T3x has a decent recoil pad and a few nice upgrades vs original T3.

Recoil has n 308 is minimal, these aren’t ultralights. They have a beefy barrel.
I wasnt saying the Battue was a $500 rifle, just that my current Husky with $1000 of work done to it would be an excellent rifle, but would still only be worth about $500.

Does your Battue have the wooden stock?
Old 09-10-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
This is a model 85 issue not an A7 issue. Different actions.
Good to know. Sounds like neither are trouble free.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:23 PM

Another 85 IV owner here - never had a problem with a Leopold scope on it. Beautiful rifle, smooth as silk. Lovely to handle & shoot.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:22 PM

yep I've got several sako 85, 9.3x62, .223, 708, 2506, no problem with ejection.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:13 PM

Was looking along those sort of lines a few years ago for my son. Ended up getting him a Savage Scout. Great little gun that suits the need.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:24 PM

I've have a Finnlight in 308 with a Leupold 2.5-8x36 mounted in extra-low Leopold ringmounts and I haven't had any ejection issues. I would agree that the Black Bear is a nice rifle. If one would have been in the store when I bought mine I likely would have gone that route.