Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-31-2020, 08:59 PM

Default GSP Training

Is anyone a bird dog owner in the bonnyville/cold lake area? I just got a GSP and am looking for people to train my bird dog with. Looking at joining the NAVHDA chapter in Edmonton, but if someone was in the area id love to meet up
Old 08-31-2020, 11:33 PM

Default Maybe

Hi there. I’m in Edmonton and I am by no means a dog trainer but I am damn proud at how I have trained my GSP. When it comes to hunting she is an absolute killer and around kids she is a lovable goof ball. If you wanna chat I’d be more than willing to share what I did.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:15 AM

I’m sorry to have to tell you, they train you. You are now nothing to them. You are the filler of the food bowl. The cleaner of the kennel. You’re the chew toy provider as well as the whatever they want to destroy go to guy. Seriously though, enjoy your gsp and my best advice is be prepared for a lot of runs or exercise. That may be locating a cooperative farmer or landowner that will be ok with you running your pup on their land. Backyards and little dog runs will not suffice.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:51 PM

check out both Prairie Vista NAVHDA and Wild Rose Navhda in facebook
both chapters have people in demotion area, not sure cold lake area, would be surprised. we got people from grand prairie that come train
Old 09-02-2020, 09:55 AM

Thanks guys for the replies. Any preference of wild rose to prairie vista NAVHDA chapters?
Old 09-02-2020, 10:58 AM

I’ve been to both on training days and test days and invite both chapter pages on social media.. I’ve been to more PV training days and I’m a member there. My work schedule also played a role in where to become a member as I work every second weekend and training days w/ PV matched up better for me. Next year I may just join both anyway. You could attend a training day at both chapters at some point and decide which you like better, lots of different training methods being done so it’s good to see what everyone does! Lots to learn .
Old 09-02-2020, 11:20 AM

I’m up in Cold Lake and have a 11 month old Toller who is new to me. We train for ducks, but I’m looking to train him for upland as well. Send me a PM sometime and we can meet up. I spend time with him out on the base at their off leash park. It’s a very large field that is not fenced in, so they need some training or ecollar before they go there.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:19 PM

I run Springer Spaniels in zone 500. My flushing dogs experience probably wont help with a pointer. My best advise to train your dog? Go out and do lots of hunting. And when your done that, go do some more hunting. There's thousands of leaseland acres available to hunt on and of course the crown land to your north. After many hours spent afield "you" and your dog will learn what's expected during the pursuit of grouse. Its not gonna be perfect the first season...takes a bit of time...But let it be fun. DO NOT GET FRUSTRATED...KEEP IT FUN...

Tags
bird dog, bird dog hunting, dog training, gsp, pheasant