Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-28-2020, 07:09 PM

Default Which used rifle choice

I am kind of old school guy who prefers wooden stocks and blued barrels in my bolt action hunting rifles. Assuming the following rifles are equipped identically in every way which would you chose and why? The following models were produced in the late 80s and 90 s. BROWNING ABOLT, REMINGTON BDL, WINCHESTER M70, SAVAGE 10, TIKKA M695, RUGER 77
Old 08-28-2020, 07:15 PM
Banned

I’m partial to the m70 featherweight in 280rem that I have. There has been a LOT of rifles that have filtered through my safe but the m70 featherweight will be with me till the end.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:30 PM

I don't think I would ever buy a used rifle. Prices are to high and who knows how it was treated or why it is being sold. Lots of stories on this very board "it wouldn't shoot so I sold it". No thanks. Maybe at a 50% discount I would take a chance, but you don't see 50% discounts.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-28-2020, 07:35 PM

A Rem 700 BDL built prior to 1980 would be a good choice, as would a Husqvarna HVA or Carl Gustav. Voere or Mod 700 Krico... to name just a few. A real good one can be found for much less than $1000.00 these days with a bit of searching. The used rifle market today is a gold mine !
Old 08-28-2020, 07:45 PM

I like the Winchester 70 but would take any one of those over a new budget rifle any day
Old 08-28-2020, 07:49 PM

I have a used A-bolt that just shoots better than me, shoulders well, been in a scabbard a bunch, rolled off a wet steep slope once, use a couple others more now. Really like the detachable mag.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I don't think I would ever buy a used rifle. Prices are to high and who knows how it was treated or why it is being sold. Lots of stories on this very board "it wouldn't shoot so I sold it". No thanks. Maybe at a 50% discount I would take a chance, but you don't see 50% discounts.
^^ This.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Pretty much all I buy are used rifles!
An older 700,70 would be nice, but I am partial to No.1's and 1885's
Cat
Old 08-28-2020, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
The one rifle I regret selling the most is a used Kimber Montana 280ai
Old 08-28-2020, 08:20 PM

id buy a browning abolt medallion in 25-06 tomorrow....

I just bot a Parker Hale 1200 Super in 300 win mag.

Last new gun i bot was a UTAS -15. BUT thats only because I thot the apocalyse had started.....
Old 08-28-2020, 08:35 PM

I’d say it depends on what caliber, what you want the rifle for, or if it’s your first rifle and buying from a family member. But I’d go 700 or model 70
Old 08-28-2020, 08:39 PM

Definitely the Tikka, but go one better and find yourself a beauty M65 (long action) or M55 (short action). Very difficult to beat for factory rifles.

As it happens, I have 3 that are in like new condition if you're interested.
.270, .30-06 and 7RM.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:14 PM

I like the way the 700 BDL stock fits on me - so that would be my first choice.

My second choice would be the M70 - they are great.

I had one chambered in 300 Weatherby and they stopped chambering them in WBY - I wish I never sold that one ... still bothers me to this day. That thing was a shooter.

Having said that, the condition and cartridge could easily sway me.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:18 PM

Whichever one fits you best. Compromise for a brand name and you'll regret it.

I like BDL's and M70's but there's time periods in both models I wouldn't own.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:20 PM

Default used rifles

It was much easier to choose used rifles when I had magnumitis!
All those 375's and 458 calibers (never mind the 404 jefferys or my 470 Nitros) were pretty much gauranteed to have not been shot out
The varmint calibers are a bit different. could be thousands and thousands of rounds gone through them!
Old 08-28-2020, 09:30 PM

Default Used rifle

Whichever one fits you.......Buy the Winchester!😬
Old 08-28-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I’m partial to the m70 featherweight in 280rem that I have. There has been a LOT of rifles that have filtered through my safe but the m70 featherweight will be with me till the end.
I had this exact same one and divorce forced me to sell it and I dam near cried seeing it go. It was a riflemans rifle in likely one of the most underrated cartridges available.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaffan View Post
I am kind of old school guy who prefers wooden stocks and blued barrels in my bolt action hunting rifles. Assuming the following rifles are equipped identically in every way which would you chose and why? The following models were produced in the late 80s and 90 s. BROWNING ABOLT, REMINGTON BDL, WINCHESTER M70, SAVAGE 10, TIKKA M695, RUGER 77
Instead of talking about what I dont like I will just talk about what I like. Tang safety ruger 77.
Its not controlled round feeding but that big extractor gives me confidence. 90 degree bolt throw is proven. I like the tang safety. Pretty good access to inside of receiver. Not so closed in like others. Trigger is adjustable and pretty good. Love the rugged integral bases! No tiny screws holding them on.
BTW I'm not familiar with tikka. Dont know anything about them but I am familiar with the rest.
Those 77 s were a good working mans rifle. Lot of bang for the buck. I think they all shot minute of angle with right load.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
I had this exact same one and divorce forced me to sell it and I dam near cried seeing it go. It was a riflemans rifle in likely one of the most underrated cartridges available.
I honestly don’t know what it is about that rifle but it’s like it was sent to me from the grim reaper himself, seems like when I get something in the crosshairs it ends up with a tag on it.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
A Rem 700 BDL built prior to 1980 would be a good choice, as would a Husqvarna HVA or Carl Gustav. Voere or Mod 700 Krico... to name just a few. A real good one can be found for much less than $1000.00 these days with a bit of searching. The used rifle market today is a gold mine !
Agree on the BDL. I got a nice late 70s rifle in 7mm RM from a gentleman I know. He took good care of it, and I doubt he put 100 rounds through it in 35 years. Just shot it a couple time a year to fill the freezer. It is still in great shape and very accurate. And I used it to take deer, shoot it at the range....maybe 20 rounds from me. Mostly it just sits in the safe. But great rifle...

I just shoot my 7mm-08 mostly.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-28-2020, 11:34 PM

Sako.....pretty much any make or model
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:51 PM

Don’t forget the Brno or whiteworth
Old 08-29-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Pretty much all I buy are used rifles!
An older 700,70 would be nice, but I am partial to No.1's and 1885's
Cat
X 2 ....

FIRST THING I DO IS CHECK THE PERSONS PROFILE AND LOOK FOR GUYS I HAVE DEALT WITH IN THE PAST AND THEIR COMMENTS.....IF THE PROFILE COUNT IS LOW I WALK....unless it is a local deal and I can see it.

I stick with good quality rifles. The questions I always ask are:

. any problems and what the were?
. any repairs?
. any alterations?
. is everything stock?
. why are you selling?
. original owner?
. round count and ammo used (factory or reloads)...some guys like to load too hot?

Good luck....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:10 AM

Nothing wrong with used guns... my post here on which guns would you keep are all used guns from people I never new and they all shoot under an inch... I have never had an a-bolt so i cannot speak to them but the hardest guns I had to make shoot were rugers but they did shoot eventually and they are very rugged ... currently doing load development for a 1976 rem bdl heavy barrel 222rem I acquired from and AO member and despite a less than perfect trigger with minimal effort i am getting .2 - .9 groups of 5 with 50gr loads and just pressed a bunch of 40gr loads to try ... I have never been a fan of the Model 70 for no reason other than my gut feeling but 4 friends of mine love them so there you go!... I also had a couple of ruger No1's in 250 savage and 303 Brit that shot very well outa the box... The most accurate big box 2nd hand guns I have had are Rem 700, Steyr, Sako 75, 85, AV, L series, wood and fiberclass etc and Tikka pre T3 although they are not bad for what they are... I currently have a Sako l579 in 308win up to fund my daughters harp that is .95 - 1.5 moa 5 shot groups with a Sako Peep @100m on a modified target to enhance the Peeps performance at 100m... so it should do much better with a scope... do not be afeared by a 2nd hand gun... my .02
Old 08-29-2020, 10:22 AM

I often here this business of Rugers being tough guns. Ihave had a number of them. How are they any more tough than a Tikka or Rem? I'm all ears.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I like the way the 700 BDL stock fits on me - so that would be my first choice.

My second choice would be the M70 - they are great.

I had one chambered in 300 Weatherby and they stopped chambering them in WBY - I wish I never sold that one ... still bothers me to this day. That thing was a shooter.

Having said that, the condition and cartridge could easily sway me.
Used to own one of them too. Shot well but kicked like a mule compared to a Weatherby MarkV.

Own a Remington 700 in .338WM for 35 years now. Still hunting with it. Partial to Remington.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I often here this business of Rugers being tough guns. Ihave had a number of them. How are they any more tough than a Tikka or Rem? I'm all ears.

You must have big ears to be all ears ... To my experience with 3 M77's they all had acceptable accuracy... but accuracy to me is under 1moa and I had to work to get it there more than any of the other rifles I listed ... I had a buddy who totally abused a boat paddle stainless M77 over the years that on a good day shot 1.5" for 3 shots and under 2" for 5 shots... I do not think any other rifles especially wood stocked would have survived his abuse of tools and toys etc ... it was a lifelong torture test ... idk ... anybody else ????
Old 08-29-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

My old 700 Remington in 22-250 has never failed me but the tiny extractor makes me wonder about it.
Winchester produced such crap post 1964 that I havnt really looked at them since although I hear they are doing better now.
I think the closer you get to a Springfield or 98 Mauser the better. Thats my argument for the ruger.
Im just set I'm my ways. Some things can't be improved. Triple lock Smith and Wesson's, 1911 Colts, flat top 3 screw Rugers. Etc.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
You must have big ears to be all ears ... To my experience with 3 M77's they all had acceptable accuracy... but accuracy to me is under 1moa and I had to work to get it there more than any of the other rifles I listed ... I had a buddy who totally abused a boat paddle stainless M77 over the years that on a good day shot 1.5" for 3 shots and under 2" for 5 shots... I do not think any other rifles especially wood stocked would have survived his abuse of tools and toys etc ... it was a lifelong torture test ... idk ... anybody else ????
My first Ruger was one of those boat paddle abominations in 7 Rem. On a good day it was an inch a half gun with reloads. Trigger was pure garbage too. Worst factory trigger I have ever had. It kicked a lot worse than a later M77 I had that was a 338 Win Mag in an HS Precision stock. That one shot better, but it was sent to Corlanes to be accurized for $350 (bedding, trigger job,
cutting the bolt face, lapping lugs, cutting internal threads and squaring of the receiver, and then resetting headspace). Gun shot really nicely after that trip to the spa. LOL.

The Hawkeyes I had were nothing to be written home about. I bought one new because it had lovely wood for a Hawkeye, and I like wood. Rifle arrived, took it out of the box, and danged if it the barrel wasn't bowed. I kid you not. Sent pics to Prophet River, and in typical Clay Smiley fashion, a new barreled action was sent out that day which allowed me to keep the lovely stock. Swapped out the trigger spring for one from a Bic pen, and I was in business. Gun shot quite nice. Because I was in the throes of a rifle addiction at the time, it was sold or traded for the next thing that caught my eye.

Finally, I had a 10/22 that jammed like no one's business regardless of the brand of ammo you pumped down its throat.

So, my point is, and many would agree, Ruger's often take a fair deal of fiddling to get right. I'm no gun rookie, and have no bias against them at all, but no other brand had caused the me the extra effort that Ruger has, and I am a loonie for buying new to the market rifle brands out of curiosity. Once they are working, then they are fine, but not everyone has the ability or patience to fiddle with a rifle.

Last edited by sns2; 08-29-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:59 AM

My ruger m 77 was first year production 1971. Does this make a difference in quality? Had another early 77 in 30/06 but thats long gone and I dont know the year.
I have an early 10/22 with tons of rounds through it. When wholesale Sports was going out of business I went there to buy another for my daughter. Quality was so bad I wouldn't buy it no matter how cheap