Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2019, 08:08 AM

Default Polaris 6x6 ?

Never owned anything Polaris, but need something that can haul a good load over rough country. Need something that is very reliable and tough. Anyone have experience with the Polaris Big Boss?
Old 03-20-2019, 09:39 AM

I hunted with a guy a few years ago up in the Yukon that had a Polaris 6X6, we had a 4X4 Yamaha Rhino. That 6X6 went through so much more, seemed to have good floatation and had to pull the Rhino through so many spots. I think its the perfect unit for between Argo country and quads/SxSs. Another option would be a SxS with tracks I suppose. Another nice feature with the 6X6 is it has a larger box and you can fit 3 adults on the bench seat.
I thought it was an amazing unit for the area we hunted in, way better than the Rhino.
I would think a heck of a lot smoother than an Argo too but it doesn't float... depends on what you want/need it for.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:52 AM

If you go with the Polaris 6 x 6, MAKE SURE YOU MOUNT 4 K WINCHES BOTH FRONT AND BACK.

When they go down, they really go down. That can be said for all S x S machines though.

Old ones stay away from, especially the chain drive version.

New ones though are a much better all around machine from Polaris.

Friend has one.

I Don't own one. They are really big on a trailer so taking two machines is pretty tough unless you have a very big deck trailer.

Drewski
Old 03-20-2019, 09:53 AM

Friends have one for hunting, it is a beast and can carry a bunch of stuff or moose with ease.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:05 AM

Default Hard on Belts and A-Arms

Friend has one and is on his 3rd A-arm and fourth belt. Machine is quite heavy and if you bump any stump the A-arm takes the beating much more so than others. He doesn't drive it hard either. I will say it hauls a lot and does go places I cannot with my Rhino but as previously stated, if you get it stuck it is a pile of work to get out.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:35 AM

My father in law has had a couple of the Polaris versions. They seemed ok, but high maintenance.
Their newest machine is the can am version. Seems to be holding up well so far
Old 03-20-2019, 05:12 PM

Thanks guys, good solid info. Im looking at a 6x6 Argo as well. Price is very similar but the Argo would need a trailer to haul much....but it does float.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:56 PM

I’ve had 3 different Argos in the last 6 years.

This is the way I look at it. If you are going to be riding in areas where the ground is fairly solid or at the very least the mud holes have a bottom, get the sxs. If you are going to be riding in areas where there is a lot of muskeg, get the Argo. I’ve been stuck dozens of times in a Argo but a quick tug with a small winch with a 2-flute boat anchor on the end and you are going again fairly quick. I’ve spent all day getting a sxs going again after driving into something that looked pretty innocent.

In other words, if you need an Argo, you need an Argo, and nothing else commercially available short of a Sherp will do.

You can find a great condition, low hour 6x6 Argo Bigfoot for under $5000. For the money they are a great machine and while you have to grease a few bearings overall the maintenance is not that bad and the couple I’ve had were very reliable. I probably should have just bought another one but I started 9 months ago building my own version of a Sherp.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:34 PM

Are you talking about a full size Ranger 6x6 or the big boss quad version 6x6, big difference is all.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rum338 View Post
Are you talking about a full size Ranger 6x6 or the big boss quad version 6x6, big difference is all.
Im talking about the Big Boss quad 6x6. The area I operate I think is to rough for a sxs, although I've never used one.

I have quite a bit of experience with the 8 wheel Argos. The outfitter I guide for owns several, but no experience with the smaller argos. Currently I use a quad to haul fuel/gear out to my trapline. It works but I use the winch a lot too. Looking for something that will haul or pull a big load easier. I know the 8 wheel argos would be ideal, but just cant justify the cost.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:43 AM

"I’ve had 3 different Argos in the last 6 years."
(POSITRAC: Who is quietly moaning and rocking back and forth in a corner...)

By the way, the Devil designed the Argo as a way to test out how badly someone wanted to suffer outside of hell.

THAT, and the Devil has filled HELL with Sofa Beds. He could not improve on that form of torture.

Drewski
Old 03-21-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
"I’ve had 3 different Argos in the last 6 years."
(POSITRAC: Who is quietly moaning and rocking back and forth in a corner...)

By the way, the Devil designed the Argo as a way to test out how badly someone wanted to suffer outside of hell.

THAT, and the Devil has filled HELL with Sofa Beds. He could not improve on that form of torture.

Drewski
Lol. No doubt. I definitely have a love/hate relationship with them.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I’ve had 3 different Argos in the last 6 years.

This is the way I look at it. If you are going to be riding in areas where the ground is fairly solid or at the very least the mud holes have a bottom, get the sxs. If you are going to be riding in areas where there is a lot of muskeg, get the Argo. I’ve been stuck dozens of times in a Argo but a quick tug with a small winch with a 2-flute boat anchor on the end and you are going again fairly quick. I’ve spent all day getting a sxs going again after driving into something that looked pretty innocent.

In other words, if you need an Argo, you need an Argo, and nothing else commercially available short of a Sherp will do.

You can find a great condition, low hour 6x6 Argo Bigfoot for under $5000. For the money they are a great machine and while you have to grease a few bearings overall the maintenance is not that bad and the couple I’ve had were very reliable. I probably should have just bought another one but I started 9 months ago building my own version of a Sherp.
Dad has used 6x6 Argos exclusively to hunt. Dads newest one is a 05 Bigfoot. If I were to buy another one day, it would have tracks. Still thinking about picking up an old set of the plastic tracks for dads one day. I would love to rent a new 8x8 with tracks for a fun day and go hit some of the nasty muskeg where we hunt, just to win once