Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-19-2019, 09:42 AM

You are forgetting one thing. You know and I know that banning guns will not help, BUT GET VOTES and that is what the average politictian wants. Pi____s on the non voters. He, or She, is after the votes and their pension, that is what it is all about.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:09 PM
Banned

Arrow

Senator McPhedran spreads false claims about law-abiding firearms owners. It is revealing that some Liberal appointed Senators, like Senator Marilou McPhedran, feel they must falsify evidence to support Bill C-71. Perhaps they realize there is no real evidence to support Bill C-71?

https://justiceforgunowners.ca/senat...-false-claims/
Old 03-21-2019, 09:19 PM

And yet many here on this very forum will vote once again for the Lieberal's then cry.....don't take my guns....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:16 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Ottawa under pressure to tighten gun laws after swift action in New Zealand

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tas...sure-1.5070589
Old 03-27-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Ottawa under pressure to tighten gun laws after swift action in New Zealand
From who? CBC?
Old 03-27-2019, 03:11 PM

ya'll better start lobbying yer mp asap,

https://youtu.be/mETOjvQPjQ0
Old 03-28-2019, 02:36 AM

We do have one Senator standing up for us;

http://www.donplett.ca/my-work/artic...ragic-failure/
Old 04-03-2019, 05:33 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

The Globe and Mail editorial board has thought long and awful hard about it, and it has decided Canada should ban handguns. Gun control is a topical issue of late, with the Danforth shooting in Toronto last summer, the recent massacre in New Zealand, and a fairly consistent churn of atrocities in the United States. It’s a shame the Globe editorialists didn’t think a bit longer and harder, though. If they had, they might have caught the variety of factual errors in their piece, and maybe — just maybe — noticed the massive failure in logic at the heart of their proposal.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/mat...ntrol-screwups
Old 04-06-2019, 05:25 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Gun Control: When emotions trump facts

http://web-extract.constantcontact.c...HeLekIOphNFOkw
Old 04-08-2019, 11:44 AM

McPhedran tried to attach a handgun ban amendment to C71 today in the SECD, her and Dalphonde were the only ones in favour of it, so it went nowhere, and she left the meeting to go pout with Wendy.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:22 PM
Banned

Arrow

Canadian MDs are pointing fingers at guns to divert attention from their inability to deal with medical mistakes. More people die from hospital mistakes than from guns, but the anti-gun MDs would rather politicians and the public have somebody else to blame.

Between 24,000 and 43,000 people die each year in Canada, studies estimate from medical mistakes. This is roughly 10 times as many who die from firearms.

https://www.halifaxmedicalmalpractic...dical_malprac/
Old 04-09-2019, 04:00 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

I am an emergency physician working at both academic and community emergency departments in Ontario. I was recently asked to sign a petition in support of a National Day of Action organized by the Canadian Doctors for Protection from Guns (CDPG) to ban “assault weapons” and handguns. This recently formed organization is not representative of a majority of physicians or health-care workers and I feel the need to respond with an alternative perspective.

Firearms laws in Canada are some of the most stringent and comprehensive in the world. Statistics show that we are a very safe country with low baseline crime and suicide rates that have been steadily dropping, with peaks and ebbs, over the past four decades. The recent statistics that some have used to counter those data are parsed from specific geographical areas and interval timelines with biased manipulation to suit the purposes of interest groups.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/i-t...gun-enthusiast
Old 04-10-2019, 02:29 PM

Default I think my letter hit a nerve

Reply from Pierre J. Dalphond senator from Quebec

Thank you for your comments.
As for myself, I will vote in favour of Bill C-71, even though the bill is clearly insufficient.
My proposal is to replace a complex classification and registration system by a ban of all firearms for civilians, except hunting guns commonly used by, namely First Nations, hunters and farmers (which would continue to be regulated).
This proposal takes into consideration the views of Canadians, which in our vibrant democracy is critical.
As you may know, polls indicate that a majority supports the views that I have expressed. Responding to the concerns of their citizens, the elected officials of Canada's two largest cities, Toronto and Montreal, have recently adopted resolutions asking for a ban on handguns and assault weapons.
To look at facts and scientific evidence is also important for a senator guided by the principle of sober second thought.
Here are some facts that must be considered when reflecting about our current legal framework: the Quebec City Mosque, Polytechnique School, Moncton, and Dawson College attacks were committed by a licensed gun owner, using mostly or only firearms legally purchased in Canada.
Another one is the social benefits derived from allowing the use of restricted firearms by civilians.
When comparing the rate of homicides in free societies such as England, Australia, Canada and USA, it is interesting to see the value of different regulatory approaches.
In the end, for most people all these factors point to the need for a ban like the one that I am proposing.
Finally, it is also part of my duties to protect fundamental rights, including the right of innocent citizens to live.
Another fundamental right is the freedom of speech. I will thus always respect your ability to advocate for gun ownership with fewer restrictions. However, I clearly do not share your views and will continue to advocate for a ban on the lines described above.
Best regards,
Pierre J. Dalphond

He seems to have a solid position LOL
Old 04-10-2019, 02:34 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
... He seems to have a solid position LOL
Yep. Completely Delusional.
Not overly surprising when one considers where he is from...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 04-10-2019, 05:59 PM

It would be interesting to ask the doctors to log number of shooting victims that were drug gags shooting it out on Toronto and Montreal streets. Also those that were innocent bystanders in wrong place at the wrong time and hit by stray bullets. I am sure that would account for majority of the patients they treat.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:17 PM
Banned

I think they need to control the gangstas not the people like us. Pulled my iron out for the first time in a while these past couple of days, even let some rodents live. Felt good to get punched several times. I kinda missed it, been so busy.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:43 PM

New Zealand passes new gun laws, word on the street that Canada soon to follow.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:30 PM

Read 'em and weep, this is what the Libs are thinking and reading up on. Ralphie has already said he'd toss the Senate amendments in the HoC. Even a Tory minority gov't that puts the NDP or another party like the Bloc in the driver's seat, similar to BC, will result in this coming to be, so think very hard about fringe party voting before you do vote this year, it could easily turn around to bite you.

https://www.police.govt.nz/advice/fi...BIL2O3c9uVbff8
Old 04-11-2019, 04:21 PM

Cool Goverment all they look is to over control

all this problem of gun control is all about controlling people , guess what ...how you can think if you bad guns masive killing will stop....is a big joke when all this terrorists are killing ppl i never hear from all the attakers they got how many guns was ligaly buyed or who was the real owner??
all i want to see is when our big joke" Justin Trudeau" will go away many thinks will come to normal.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:12 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 12, 2019

Gun Ban Ruled Out – For Now

OSHAWA, ON – Crime Reduction Minister Bill Blair’s long-awaited engagement report – Reducing Violent Crime: A Dialogue on Handguns and Assault-Style Firearms – has been released and the outcome of that discourse is somewhat encouraging for Canada’s two-million-plus lawful firearm owners who feared a possible gun ban.

“Those 134,917 participants in the government's online questionnaire overwhelmingly believe that a ban on handguns and so-called “assault-style” firearms targets the wrong people. Law-abiding firearm owners are not the problem, violent criminals possessing illicit guns are,” said Tony Bernardo, Executive Director of the Canadian Shooting Sports Association. “Our organization is not surprised by this conclusion and we said as much during the Minister’s in-person roundtable held in Toronto last fall."

CSSA representatives attended the Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal consultations.

At that roundtable, the CSSA also noted that there is no statistical evidence that the banning of civilian firearms would have an impact on the criminal misuse of guns. The only data that was available came from the Toronto Police Service, and it showed that politicians had been grossly misrepresenting the proportion of firearms that originated from our community.

“We agree that a multi-faceted approach (such as more community-based programs, enhanced law enforcement and border services, and harsher punishments and penalties for gun-related crime) is key if we are to reduce the illicit use of firearms. Imposing a gun ban ‘in isolation’ as the Minister noted, is useless,” said Mr. Bernardo.

“Our organization would welcome the opportunity to confer with Ministers Goodale and Blair and the Firearms Advisory Committee to help develop some real solutions to these serious firearm issues,” said Mr. Bernardo. The CSSA was a long-standing member of the federal government’s Canadian Firearms Advisory Committee, the purpose of which, among other things, is to provide the Public Safety Minister with advice on matters relating to Canada’s firearms policies, laws and regulations.

The Engagement Report will now be used to assist the federal government in developing any future changes it may wish to apply to firearm laws… “while not impeding the lawful use of firearms by Canadians,” as stated in the report.

"While it appears there will be no gun ban in our immediate future, the CSSA will continue its efforts to ensure the government of Canada understands and respects our Canadian firearm traditions and the rights of responsible Canadians to have lawful access to their firearms.
– 30 –

The full text of the report is here.

For further information, please contact:
Tony Bernardo, Executive Director
1-888-873-4339
Old 04-12-2019, 05:32 PM

Wendy Clucker and the rest of the old witches will be crying around the Calderon tonight
Old 04-12-2019, 10:54 PM
Banned

Just watching CTV where they were discussing the hand gun ban. I agree with the majority who stated that a ban would not help reduce gang violence. Everything these people do is funded by crime and if anything a gun ban would create more profit and change nothing in the black market. Getting guns over the border is very simple from what I hear and that seems to be the main problem.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:31 AM

How many handguns are stolen in this country from properly licensed owners and how many of the stolen handguns are then used for armed robberies and other gun violence? Let’s face it a handgun ban would at least reduce this problem.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsweptcoast View Post
How many handguns are stolen in this country from properly licensed owners and how many of the stolen handguns are then used for armed robberies and other gun violence? Let’s face it a handgun ban would at least reduce this problem.
So do you have answer to those questions or are you just assuming that it is a problem? The fact is that there is no reliable source of data on this

https://thegunblog.ca/2018/09/15/mor...rent-firearms/

https://justiceforgunowners.ca/do-cr...m-pal-holders/

https://dennisryoung.ca/2018/08/30/t...ats-2007-2017/

And I love this one... our tax dollars at work
https://dennisryoung.ca/2018/02/16/r...irearms-trace/
Quote:
1. The RCMP report they do not know how much the program costs because they don’t have an individual budget for the Canadian National Firearms Tracing Centre (CNFTC).
2. The RCMP report they do not know the number of successful firearms traces for any of the last ten years.
3. The RCMP report they do not know the number of registered firearms they have traced.
4. The RCMP report they do not know the number of unregistered firearms they have traced.
5. The RCMP report they do not know the number of firearms traced to the United States but never imported and sold legally in Canada (i.e. smuggled firearms).
6. The RCMP report they do not know the number of stolen firearms identified in their traces.
7. The RCMP report they do not know the number of times firearms traces resulted in the registered owner of the stolen firearm was charged with a crime.
8. The RCMP report they do not know the number of persons charged with the theft of the stolen firearms identified by the traces.
9. The RCMP report they do not know the number of stolen firearms that were returned to their registered owner as a result of the traces.
10. The RCMP report they do not know the number of crimes that were solved because the traces gave "police a valuable starting point for their investigation.”
11. The RCMP report they do not know the number of firearms prohibition orders enforced using firearms traces.
12. The RCMP report they do not know the number of registered firearms seized as a result of the enforcement of these court orders using firearms traces; and finally,
13. The RCMP report they do not know the number of unregistered firearms seized as a result of the enforcement of these court orders using firearms traces.
ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
If Burger King stopped selling cheese burgers then McDonald's and A&W would notice an increased demand for cheese burgers. Food for thought?
Colin
Old 04-13-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
As pointed out above, that is wishful thinking and not how things really happen. In your example the supply of stolen Canadian guns would be reduced. This would create an increase in demand, and it would become more profitable to smuggle guns in from the US or elsewhere. So criminals would very quickly source their guns from someplace else, and the end result would be unchanged crime rates.
If the theory you offer worked, we should see reduced access to illegal drugs in Canada because we stopped domestic producers. How is that working?
Old 04-14-2019, 01:54 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Bill Blair, Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction Minister, refused to tell the Senate Committee on National Security and Defence if a government-initiated report on the effects of a handgun ban would be finished by the time of the election.

“Canadians expect us to take the time to do it right and I’ve been doing my very best to take that time,” Blair said.

He did the same thing FIVE times (taking lessons on how NOT to answer a question I guess) in an interview just today.

https://tnc.news/2019/04/12/trudeau-...if-re-elected/

More vote seeking already in action...

Nog
Old 04-14-2019, 02:10 PM

The report was ready the Liberals didn't like the results so Blair is "tweaking"the report until he gets the result happysocks wants....politics
Old 05-10-2019, 02:15 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Canada’s system of gun control cost taxpayers over $2 billion, even though no convincing evidence has been found demonstrating that clamping down on law-abiding citizens has reduced criminal violence

The focus on “assault style” firearms might even be a red herring to distract attention from the failure of Canada’s police agencies to cope with challenges such as escalating gang violence, money laundering in casinos and property markets, and threats from Chinese cyber attacks. Our national police force, the RCMP, is stretched thin trying to cover all these problems. Expanding the firearms bureaucracy is not the best strategy for enhancing public safety.

We need to recognize that worries about scary-looking firearms are misplaced. Canada is facing real problems that are fundamentally more important.

https://policyoptions.irpp.org/magaz...arent-problem/
Old 05-10-2019, 02:47 PM

It would appear that the the truth or fiction of the story of Clemente's question to the Libs in HOC yesterday about OIC bans is in limbo yet, but, there is a chance the Libs could reclassify AR's thru an OIC, to use it as a political distraction, and to give Trudope and the Libs a "positive gun control action" to announce along with their support of Jackboot Jacinda of NZ, at the conference in June. At this point, they still have to stay within the definitions in the law, but, there are still things that could be moved to prohibited status thanks to C71. Some of that may depend on when C71 gets thru the Senate to the HOC as to whether or not he can make that announcement. Any kind of idea they can work with under C71, will probably be in the works. Something like a prohibition reclassification on rifles using pistol mags along the line of the 10/22 mag ban may be possible also, if they think they can get away with it, they will likely try something.