Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Wearing the C means squat. Many motivators don’t wear a letter on the front. Are you more likely to listen to someone in the dressing room for a letter on their jersey or for the speakers character? A letter is just that. A letter
It used to mean something. Nowadays it doesn’t. There isn’t one rah rah guy on that team that speaks with authority or demands respect of his peers. A few years ago Lucic would be the guy. But he can’t even motivate himself.
The Messier, Scott Stevens, Potvin, Lemieux days are over. Captaincy used to be an iconic thing. Now it’s just a letter. McDavid doesn’t thrill me as a captain..
Old 03-20-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
It used to mean something. Nowadays it doesn’t. There isn’t one rah rah guy on that team that speaks with authority or demands respect of his peers. A few years ago Lucic would be the guy. But he can’t even motivate himself.
The Messier, Scott Stevens, Potvin, Lemieux days are over. Captaincy used to be an iconic thing. Now it’s just a letter. McDavid doesn’t thrill me as a captain..
McDavid is young. Must be hard for a rookie take on that role giving pep talks and advise and encouragement to players that have been in the league since he was in kindergarten. For now his best role as captain is setting an example on ice(which he does) by putting 100% effort into each shift. It’s on par with a 20 year old foreman telling 60 year old cat skinners how to do their job.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
McDavid is young. Must be hard for a rookie take on that role giving pep talks and advise and encouragement to players that have been in the league since he was in kindergarten. For now his best role as captain is setting an example on ice(which he does) by putting 100% effort into each shift. It’s on par with a 20 year old foreman telling 60 year old cat skinners how to do their job.
I agree with you. Doesn’t say much for the depth of the team when all they can do is give the C to junior. It’s to bad. I miss the old days lol
Old 03-20-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I disagree, in the general sense (not about the Oilers per se). There are still some who wear the C that fit in with that list. Look at Gio, the oldest guy on the team, putting up the best numbers of his career, battling every game and being a real leader on and off the ice. And it would seem that it has had a positive effect on the whole team, by the current standings. There are others as well in the league (Ovi, Getzlaf, Chara, Toews, Foligno, Weber, Crosby, Giroux, Pavelski, Stamkos?) who seem to fill the 'old school' idea of being a Captain pretty good.

Gio isn't the only leader on the Flames, some of the young guys like Chucky also seem to be a great motivator. That's just my take on it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 03-20-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:10 PM

Whelp....... dem boys cost me a bit this season.

But them games wuz interesting in March. I appreciate that.

Mrs. Bessiedog is some ****ed at me.
On the bright side... imma gettin lots o spring chores done early so I’ll have time when the rivers open up.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 03-20-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Whelp....... dem boys cost me a bit this season.

But them games wuz interesting in March. I appreciate that.

Mrs. Bessiedog is some ****ed at me.
On the bright side... imma gettin lots o spring chores done early so I’ll have time when the rivers open up.
X2. I’m a real outdoorsman. Can’t be bothered with hockey past April. I think that’s why real outdoorsmen choose oilers....
Ya, that’s it....
Old 03-20-2019, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald J View Post
Just yesterday, Nicholson held a Season Seat Event. Announced a 3% increase for most tickets. Don't know the justification, if any exists.
Very simple explanation to the ticket increase..the Oilers are getting a super duper flux capacitor reverse osmosis water filtration system to fix the "what's in the water" situation
Old 03-20-2019, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Very simple explanation to the ticket increase..the Oilers are getting a super duper flux capacitor reverse osmosis water filtration system to fix the "what's in the water" situation
Well played Randy....Well Played...
Old 03-21-2019, 08:13 AM

Old 03-21-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-21-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
X2. I’m a real outdoorsman. Can’t be bothered with hockey past April. I think that’s why real outdoorsmen choose oilers....
Ya, that’s it....
You mean real outdoorsperson
Old 03-21-2019, 09:04 AM

Outdoorskind.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-21-2019, 09:07 AM

Speak for yourselves. I stand by my comment....
Old 03-21-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
This report disagrees. And says the same thing as well

Some HARSH (But true) criticism in here. This organization sounds like they have horrible hiring policies.
I was stunned to read some of this.
https://thehockeywriters.com/edmonto...dnt-sway-fans/
That report pretty much sums up the discussion except for the fee increases. After speaking with some other season ticket holders that were at Monday’s meeting, I think the report is just guessing at an increase or they have heard from sources.

Don’t get me wrong - I am not defending this hot mess the Oilers have become. I am a 20 year season ticket holder, but harsh critic of how the organization is run operationally even more than the horrific product they have iced for 20 years. I think Bob was doing his best at the meeting, but as usual with the Oilers they try to conflate past success with future potential. For example, the Q&A session started off with more stories from Craig Simpson and Jack Michaels. Who cares about Simpson and Manson hating each other when they were on separate teams and then being roomies when Manson gets traded to the Oilers? People were there to hear from the CEO and vent. There were some tough questions too and they were handled reasonably well. But overall, there was too much “look at the development of the Ice District” and “look at how beautiful Rogers Place is”.

My point was that when asked specifically about what the increase was for next year, of which I am keenly interested in, Bob said it hadn’t been determined yet. I am sure they want an increase and I am sure they know the range. But I also prefer facts over supposition.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco22 View Post
That report pretty much sums up the discussion except for the fee increases. After speaking with some other season ticket holders that were at Monday’s meeting, I think the report is just guessing at an increase or they have heard from sources.

Don’t get me wrong - I am not defending this hot mess the Oilers have become. I am a 20 year season ticket holder, but harsh critic of how the organization is run operationally even more than the horrific product they have iced for 20 years. I think Bob was doing his best at the meeting, but as usual with the Oilers they try to conflate past success with future potential. For example, the Q&A session started off with more stories from Craig Simpson and Jack Michaels. Who cares about Simpson and Manson hating each other when they were on separate teams and then being roomies when Manson gets traded to the Oilers? People were there to hear from the CEO and vent. There were some tough questions too and they were handled reasonably well. But overall, there was too much “look at the development of the Ice District” and “look at how beautiful Rogers Place is”.

My point was that when asked specifically about what the increase was for next year, of which I am keenly interested in, Bob said it hadn’t been determined yet. I am sure they want an increase and I am sure they know the range. But I also prefer facts over supposition.

All that you have said is a exact sign that this franchise is all over the map. I do hope they find a way to get better but I am beginning to wonder if it actually has to start at the ownership end of things.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:02 PM
Banned

Class act that Bob Nicholson is. Is there anyone in the Oilers management team that isn't an idiot? It must be a really short list.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:10 PM

What a great day. At daybreak I hiked through a valley and fed birds out of my hand. Loaded up the quad and headed to buffalo lake. Quadded around the outskirts of the lake for 2 hours , caught my supper and now back to watch my favourite team in the whole wide world play hockey tonight. Only thing that could get better would be watching McDavid get a hatty.!! Go Jesus!!!
Old 03-21-2019, 06:14 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
....fed birds out of my hand.......caught my supper......
Poor Chickadee.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Poor Chickadee.
HA!!!!!
Old 03-21-2019, 06:34 PM

Chickadee filets?

BW
Old 03-21-2019, 06:39 PM

Dem bulltrout fillets?
Old 03-21-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Dem bulltrout fillets?
Buffalo bullies!
Old 03-21-2019, 06:48 PM

I'm amazed at the Oilers, again, Bob Nicholson:

"Toby Rieder will not be signed by the Edmonton Oilers at the end of this year. Toby was a player that other teams wanted. He came here for one year because he wanted to play with Leon Draisaitl who he plays with on the German national team. He thought if he wasn't playing with Leon he'd be playing with Connor [McDavid], he'd score 15-16 goals, and instead of making two million he'd sign a four-year deal [extension] at three and a half million. Toby Rieder hasn't scored a goal. Toby Rieder has missed so many breakaways. If Toby Rieder would have scored 10 or 12 goals, we'd probably be in the playoffs"

Yup, Rieder is the reason they didn't make the playoffs!

He later apologized, but to even be thinking that? There is one team with a negative goal differential in the playoffs right now, Arizona at -8. If Rieder scores 10 more, Edmonton's differential is -28. Scares me to think a guy searching for the GM said Rieder and 10 goals is the difference between the current situation and the playoffs.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:57 PM

Da yummiest!!

Go Oil!!
Old 03-21-2019, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm amazed at the Oilers, again, Bob Nicholson:

"Toby Rieder will not be signed by the Edmonton Oilers at the end of this year. Toby was a player that other teams wanted. He came here for one year because he wanted to play with Leon Draisaitl who he plays with on the German national team. He thought if he wasn't playing with Leon he'd be playing with Connor [McDavid], he'd score 15-16 goals, and instead of making two million he'd sign a four-year deal [extension] at three and a half million. Toby Rieder hasn't scored a goal. Toby Rieder has missed so many breakaways. If Toby Rieder would have scored 10 or 12 goals, we'd probably be in the playoffs"

Yup, Rieder is the reason they didn't make the playoffs!

He later apologized, but to even be thinking that? There is one team with a negative goal differential in the playoffs right now, Arizona at -8. If Rieder scores 10 more, Edmonton's differential is -28. Scares me to think a guy searching for the GM said Rieder and 10 goals is the difference between the current situation and the playoffs.
Yep BobbyNick did a boo-boo by throwing Rieder under the bus. Let's face it he was under fire by the season ticket holders asking for changes, he appeased them with this morsel. Politically incorrect these days. You just can't call out UNDER PERFORMERS in public anymore.
Coaches and GM's probably chew these guys out daily behind closed doors, telling them to pick up their performance (on deaf ears) Perhaps slagging them in public works? NO
Old 03-21-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Yep BobbyNick did a boo-boo by throwing Rieder under the bus. Let's face it he was under fire by the season ticket holders asking for changes, he appeased them with this morsel. Politically incorrect these days. You just can't call out UNDER PERFORMERS in public anymore.
Coaches and GM's probably chew these guys out daily behind closed doors, telling them to pick up their performance (on deaf ears) Perhaps slagging them in public works? NO
I'm okay with the calling out, but to say he is the reason they aren't in the playoffs and 10 more goals would do it? Yikes! How about 40 more and you're probably just squeaking in.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm okay with the calling out, but to say he is the reason they aren't in the playoffs and 10 more goals would do it? Yikes! How about 40 more and you're probably just squeaking in.
That's TRUE about not making the playoffs, because there are about 12 other secondary players that have not showed up all season
Old 03-21-2019, 08:29 PM
Banned

Brodziak..GOAL
Old 03-21-2019, 09:34 PM

3 point night for going in Drai!!!