Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-13-2019, 02:04 PM

Default new rod 4wt Orvis Nelsons Creek ltd-ed

just got this and want to plant a van stall on it ... that said, looking for line recommendations e.g. 1- floater .... ??? sink tip or 2 - idk-- fishing mostly drys, but nymphing and streamers are also part of my kit ... line mfg recommendation(s) as well pls
Old 03-18-2019, 12:43 PM

Floating....scientific anglers is a good manufacturer they actually make the lines for orvis
Old 03-18-2019, 12:48 PM

Default Line

Barrio out of Scotland makes a very nice line, and about half price of the two most popular lines here. Free world wide shipping as well.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:32 AM

The only name you need to know in flylines is Airflo...hands down the best casting,slickest shooting,highest floating/easiest mending,most sensitive core,longest lasting/most durable flylines made.Everything else is an Airflo wannabe IMHO.
That said,Barrio is interesting in that it’s manufactured for them by Airflo,and Barrio offers an intriguing “small stream/short head” taper that I’d like to try.Cant say as I’ve yet to try Barrio,but if it in fact employs Airflo’s core and coating technologies without the overhead,fancy packaging/mega advertising and R&D budgets,it may well be a good bang for your buck?
Again though,that is presuming that Barrio is essentially a rebranded Airflo line utilizing Airflo’s tech and mfr expertise,marketed under another name without all they hype and overhead at a bargain price....that is a lot of presumptions? 🤔
Old 04-14-2019, 09:33 PM

Default new rod 4wt Orvis Nelsons Creek ltd-ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Barrio out of Scotland makes a very nice line, and about half price of the two most popular lines here. Free world wide shipping as well.

I am a big fan of the Barrio lines. I have been using their 3wt SLX for a couple years. They are not re-packaged Airflos, as they develop their own tapers. Might come from the same factory (only couple factories on the planet), but different lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk