Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-21-2024, 11:02 AM

Remington 870 marine magnum and benelli m4 are the ones I’ve used and can recommend. Winchester has a good rep but haven’t used any of their current models.

Challenger or rio brenekke slugs. No other stupid ideas

Did some pretty insane simulations in a past life. Let’s just say most people can’t hit a barn door when under stress and the target is moving at them. I had best results with the shotgun, probably because I use one for hunting and pest control so am used to shooting it fast vs taking my time with the rifle . There’s a solid arguement for a rifle in 45/70, 338, or 375 with hard cast or monolithic bullets.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Remington 870 marine magnum and benelli m4 are the ones I’ve used and can recommend. Winchester has a good rep but haven’t used any of their current models.

Challenger or rio brenekke slugs. No other stupid ideas

Did some pretty insane simulations in a past life. Let’s just say most people can’t hit a barn door when under stress and the target is moving at them. I had best results with the shotgun, probably because I use one for hunting and pest control so am used to shooting it fast vs taking my time with the rifle . There’s a solid arguement for a rifle in 45/70, 338, or 375 with hard cast or monolithic bullets.
Its a big difference even to a very experienced shooter. The first time you try to shoot something that is running towards you up close. I can't find words to describe what its like but very different than what you are used to and kind of unnerving.
Most of us can hunt a lifetime and never ever have this happen and when it does its definitely different and I will say difficult the first time.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:50 PM

I have a Norinco HP9 as a camp gun, sort of a model 870 knock-off. I'd go with a remington or other more 'known' brands as they cycle better than my Norinco. Especially under stress.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Its a big difference even to a very experienced shooter. The first time you try to shoot something that is running towards you up close. I can't find words to describe what its like but very different than what you are used to and kind of unnerving.
Most of us can hunt a lifetime and never ever have this happen and when it does its definitely different and I will say difficult the first time.
Consensus says most people shoot high, so to aim low to compensate. Luckily, I've never had to find out, partly because I try not to get into a position where I have to. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-22-2024, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Get a decent pump action with a full stock , no need for a pistol grip. Personally, I would look for an old Wingmaster, with an 18-20" barrel. I also don't care about a magazine extension, if you can't get the job done in 5 shots, you probably won't get it done in 8-9 shots.
While the iron sights on those old wingmaster barrels are tall and probably snaggy, I'd probably feel better with a slug barrel on a Wingmaster than anything else. They're a good length too. While I've never even had to defend myself from even a black bear (with a gun anyway) I'm probably not the best guy to ask, but I've run thousands of rounds through 870s and now Mossberg 500s. My takeaway is the same. For light weight/long carry, the 500 would be the best choice. If my life actually had to depend on it and in a remote place, I think I'd probably pick the 870 Wingmaster over a 500. Neither has ever had an issue, but if I had to trouble-shoot one with cold hands... I would far rather it was an 870 I was working with.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:31 AM

Love my Weatherby PA - 459 for backcountry carry. The pistol grip combined with the full stock makes that gun very stable.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGS View Post
One more vote for Benelli Supernova. Forget the noise makers and rubber slugs and find some Brenneke style slugs.

https://www.theshootingedge.com/cpro...-3|4%60%60-1oz
Third vote for the Benelli Supernova. Awesome gun. Finish is way better than Remington or Mossberg. Only downside is the general lack of accessories compared to the 870 or 500.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:50 AM

I have a fond preference for a combination gun. If you are going to carry one gun it's nice to have the choice between shotgun or rifle in one firearm. Convenience makes up for the weight but that is just my personal preference.