Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2024, 02:27 PM

Default minimalist wallets

went from a tri-fold to a bi-fold and took out the guts
so have a basic wallet for I’d behind a window and room for a few cards on,the other side

works ok and would like to see a few of the minimalist wallets before making a decision to go this route

only use say 7 cards

drivers license, pal, ab health care card, gas card, 2 visas, some cash folded up,
drugstore card, doctors card, and should have one with wife’s name on it

sometimes i only need 4 cards when daytime travelling

who has one and do you like them

would be neat to go to a marketplace and try 6 different ones then you know without making 3 wrong choices before getting the one you need

ease of access to cards a must, rifd not really needed where i go

thoughts
Old 01-28-2024, 02:48 PM

The little wallets are great. I am looking for one myself and not sure what to go with, so I will follow this thread.

I have been using this one for years:

The other side has a transparent pocket for your id:

And the centre pocket can fit whatever “spare” stuff, like cash (I usually have no more than $50 in there), business card or two, other rubbish:

All in all, it has 6 pockets plus the centre one. Extremely convenient and I would buy the exact same one again. This one is pretty old and should be replaced. I tried the Ridge (is that what it is called?) and didn’t like it at all and went back to this one.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:52 PM

Not sure if he has what you want, but if you google Adrian Klis, he makes wallets here in AB and they are excellent quality. I can’t say enough good about them. Mine has to be nearly 10 years old and just starting to show its age. I am usually hard on wallets as everyone points out that I have a “Kostanza Wallet”.

Maybe this link will work:
http://www.canadaleathers.com/d_wallets.html
Old 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Not sure if he has what you want, but if you google Adrian Klis, he makes wallets here in AB and they are excellent quality. I can’t say enough good about them. Mine has to be nearly 10 years old and just starting to show its age. I am usually hard on wallets as everyone points out that I have a “Kostanza Wallet”.

Maybe this link will work:
http://www.canadaleathers.com/d_wallets.html
He makes excellent wallets. I bought one and liked it so much, I almost immediately bought another for when the first one wears out. But I can't seem to wear it out, it's already lasted twice as long as anything else I've had, and not a single popped stiched. Just broken in and creased leather. I like em a lot. I also got one of his passport holders, that will last for several generations.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-28-2024, 03:06 PM

Those look good, but none are “minimalist”.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:14 PM

I ditched my wallet and went with a slim card holder years ago. The last one I got was seven or eight years ago off amazon. Of course, that one is no longer available. For cash I use a money clip.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:26 PM

I use a Ridge. Pretty basic. About as small as they come. A little spendy but pretty much bulletproof. Nothing fancy and no card "ejection" button. I got the cash strap. Works well. Opted out of the GPS tracker thing. Much smaller than my old one. Fits decently into a front pocket. I'm happy with it

My kid has one off if amazon that was $20. Has the ejection thingy which is handy. A little larger than the Ridge but not by much. Have a look at the Ekster as well.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:30 PM

Most minimal wallet there is. Bull Clip cost about 25 cents. Easily holds 8-10 cards and cash.Broke too many money clips, switched to this years ago. Near unlimited life on the Bull Clip.

Old 01-28-2024, 03:36 PM

^ Haha. I’ve thought about it a long time ago, but there is still convenience to a wallet such as I posted above. It isn’t much larger than the clip and is about the same size as the Ridge. However, you take the card you want out without the need to unclip or touch anything else. It also keeps the cards and cash in “better shape” (the cash I have in it is also there for years because I do not use it, usually, except for a few bills that I got paid with a couple of days ago). Pretty sure I bought that one in Winners for less than $20 about 15 years ago.
Old 01-28-2024, 03:46 PM

My days of carrying everything I own in a wallet are long gone. I went minimalist. I have been using this for several years now and very happy with it. Has worked great for exactly what you describe. I particularly like the clear front for my licence (don't have to take it out) and the push up slot to get the busiest card.

I just checked and it seems that they no longer carry the one I have. There are several similar ones - just do a search on Amazon for "slim wallet for men"

https://www.amazon.ca/Wallets-Minima...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

https://www.amazon.ca/Wallets-Minima...2&sr=8-36&th=1

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 01-28-2024, 03:49 PM

^ That’s basically exactly what I have pictured above. But leather would be nice for durability.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Most minimal wallet there is. Bull Clip cost about 25 cents. Easily holds 8-10 cards and cash.Broke too many money clips, switched to this years ago. Near unlimited life on the Bull Clip.

You know you're a Redneck, when your money clip comes from Staples.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-28-2024, 04:17 PM

My son carries a “minimalist” wallet and everytime he goes somewhere with me he’s missing some important card he needs because it won’t fit his wallet and he didn’t think to check.

I just carry a wallet with the cards I may or may not need and live with it.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ Haha. I’ve thought about it a long time ago, but there is still convenience to a wallet such as I posted above. It isn’t much larger than the clip and is about the same size as the Ridge. However, you take the card you want out without the need to unclip or touch anything else. It also keeps the cards and cash in “better shape” (the cash I have in it is also there for years because I do not use it, usually, except for a few bills that I got paid with a couple of days ago). Pretty sure I bought that one in Winners for less than $20 about 15 years ago.
I have one visa that is used 98% of the time. It sits between the silver loop and the cash. Rarely ever have to open the clip unless I am using cash, which I still do quite regularly. Only have to ease the clip off a bit to peal a twenty or two off the cash roll.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have one visa that is used 98% of the time. It sits between the silver loop and the cash. Rarely ever have to open the clip unless I am using cash, which I still do quite regularly. Only have to ease the clip off a bit to peal a twenty or two off the cash roll.
The only time I can reference a cash roll is if I have a roll of quarters😁
Old 01-28-2024, 04:46 PM

I have a Flipside wallet. Has RFID shield. I'm happy with it, holds all I need , they have went up in price, like everything. Downside is Canadian paper money is wider, can fit but may stick out.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:31 PM

I use an aluminum RFID card holder for the occasional use cards in my jacket pocket,some cash in my left pants pocket, one credit card in my right pocket. Works for me, no more bulky leather wallets.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:49 PM

The Liberal Party could give some good advice here.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-28-2024, 06:12 PM

I have an insider by craft and lore they have lots of small wallets hand made somewhere in the states, weather nicely, I have 8 cards in mine

www.craftandlore.com

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2024, 06:53 PM

Default Money clip

About ten years ago I was in Vegas at a coach store with the mrs looking at hand bags and was dying of boredom. Started looking at wallets and bought a money clip wallet. That was ten years ago and it's still doing well. Use it every day and it's been great for me. I have a "normal" bill fold but it stays at home as I dislike having it in my back pocket.

Last edited by Trochu; 01-29-2024 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:57 PM
AO Sponsor

I have been using one of these for a few years now... Won't go back to the man-purse wallets. Far smaller profile to carry in the pocket and carries everything I need.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09DY86K4X?...t_details&th=1

Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-28-2024, 07:25 PM

I’ve been quite happy with my Secrid wallet.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:55 PM

I use a soft phone case and put my drivers license, one visa and a 100$ bill

No wallet, although I have one with everything else that I take when I need those cards.

I have a photo of my Alberta health card and they don’t complain.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:22 PM

https://www.popovleather.com/collect...heritage-brown

I have this one and really like it.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:40 PM

https://www.populess.com/collections...on-brown-sugar
I have this one and it’s great.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:26 PM

I've been using an Ekster past year. Very happy.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:48 PM

I’ve had this one for years. Bought it in Banff but you can get them online or many other places from “Canadian leathers”.

http://www.canadaleathers.com/styles/253.html

Mines a bit white from all the saltwater it’s been submersed in. Probably needs some conditioner on it.

For size comparison.

Old 01-28-2024, 10:26 PM

Twice in my life I've been given a wallet because mine looked so pathetic and worn out.
Both times were at small town liquor stores by the Asian store owners.
Makes me wonder if it's considered good luck to gift a wallet to a pathetic looking stranger?
Old 01-28-2024, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
M390 is no longer favourite?
Old 01-29-2024, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
M390 is no longer favourite?

For all intents and purposes, same steel, different foundry. The hard part was finding the exclusive in 20cv then finding a set of carbon fiber scales off the standard version to make the knife I wanted. This kapara has kicked the PM2 out of my pocket though. I love everything about it.