Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-28-2011, 10:59 AM

Default 35 Whelen AI & 338-06 AI discrepancies/questions

This kind of ties in with a previous thread I had, but I have narrowed it down to one of these 2 cartridges for my next rifle.

There seems to be lots of discrepancies in information I have looked up on them as far as ballistics go. Having no first hand experience with either, looking to get some feedback from those who have shot and reloaded for them. I am sure this is another 270/30-06 debate, but I want to find out more about this before I decide for sure on one.

Maybe dumb questions / statements, but I can't quite wrap my head around this...

Shooting the "same" 225 grain bullet out of each, I would expect the .338 bullet to be quicker out of the chute for 3 reasons, 1 - less frontal diameter, and 2 - more powder capacity due to smaller diameter (although bullet length may destroy that theory?), 3 - higher BC possible with .338 bullet. I am also thinkning that the 35W would retain a little more energy down range, but would likely start dropping POI quicker at some point out there, but how much real difference are we talking?

Nosler lists velocities up to 200fps higher for the 35W than the 338-06 with a 225gn, granted using different powderes, but that seemed to stick out as questionable to me. Using the same powder, RL15, in the 338-06 would result in what? If the velocities are somehow higher with the 35W, then I guess that would eliminate most any difference in drag with the larger bullet.

If I go 338-06AI, I will lean towards 210gn bullets, possibley 225gn, with the 35WAI, it would be 225gn pills. Going from a 210gn to a 225gn bullet in the 338-06AI is likely to result in no real noticable drop to 300 yards I think I can safely guess?

Ultimately the rifle is going to be basically a dedicated elk/moose rifle, that I would like to have the option of shooting out to 350-400yds with with the right load / scope. While I have only ever shot one big game animal over 300yds, it kind of makes me feel warm and fuzzy to have that little buffer area so to speak.

I would suspect little real world difference between the 2, but with the info I have found on them, I really am not too sure what to buy into and beleive for real attainable numbers. Appreciate any feedback
Old 05-28-2011, 12:09 PM

1) The 35 will be faster out of the chute with equal bullet weights, more surface area on the base of the bullet to spread the pressure, coupled with less bearing surface on the actual bullet to lands.

2) The 338 will definately retain energy/velocity better with equal bullet weights due to higher sd/bc #s.

3) I love RL15 in my Whelen, but it certainly won't be optimal for the 338/06, I'm thinking 4350-4381 burn rate.

4) Out to 300yds the diff. in drop will be negligible in any 338 bullet to my way of thinking.

5) For the 400yd range you are looking at I would have to give my vote to the 338 just for retained velocity #s.

6) Real world difference will also be negligible between the two, the 35 should hit a little harder due to diameter, and the 338 should pentetrate a little more due to higher sd, and smaller diameter.

I know the Whelen is a fine elk cartridge, although I like 250g bullets in mine, never recovered one so penetration is more then adequate, longest shot about 250yds on bull elk, broadside shot though, made an impressive hole. Mine is just the plain jane Whelen, and I would not AI the round myself. It spits out 250's pretty quick just the way it is.

Let us know what you decide on.

Last edited by Homesteader; 05-28-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:37 PM

I did a bunch of research prior to my build of a 338-06AI in the summer of 2008...I waited about 3 years till I decided and found the donor rifle for the project. I was just going to go -06AS but decided on the AI version after some more research and forum posts on other sites and talking to my gunsmith...he owned a few personally. Plus I went AI just to be different.

I built mine specifically for 225gr bullets...Accubonds and TTSX's. 24" barrel. I believe you will get more velocity out of the -06AI over the Whelen. The 210 TTSX or Swift Scirroco's would be a sweet choice in that size of bullet. Another close wildcat to the Ackley Improved is the 338 Scovill...its listed in the Barnes manual. Nothing wrong in going the 35 Whelen

Been a while since going to the range and I dont have my reloading journal with me but I think I'm set up @ 2" high @ 100m.

Who is going to build it for you RUM??

Here is a couple pics of my Sako m75 Greywolf 338-06 Ackley Improved with Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 scope mounted in Sako Optilock Ringmounts to tease you till your's is built.

This pic is reloads of 225gr Accubonds and TTSX in new Norma 338-06AS headstamped brass prior to fireformed. Reloaded with H414 @ medium/hot charge to fireform. 210 Federal primers. Blows out the shoulder to 40 degrees and reload for the AI version. My loads fireforming the new brass shoot just fine if in a pinch I needed to use them hunting. I couldnt bother resizing 30-06 or 35 Whelen brass for the 338-06....plus I got a smoking deal on the 338-06AS stamped brass.

Any powder that woulds good for the 30-06 will be good for the 338-06. I just had a large supply of H414 so I started load development with it.

Last edited by Ice Fishing Maniac; 05-28-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:26 PM

Homesteader, thanks for the input, seems my way of thinking was somewhat backwards in terms of velocities. That kind of explains some of the numbers I was seeing I guess.

IFM, nice rig there. This one is a planned project for winter/early next year sometime. I just ordered the stock for it last week, so I'll piece it together bit by bit until then. I'm currently waiting on an action to arrive, and then Bill Leeper is going to look after things for me once I get all the parts down to him for a 280AI. I really hope he'll be willing to do this one for me next year as it is going to be the same setup and components.