Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-22-2024, 08:45 AM

Default Spring snow goose

I booked my first Snow goose hunt yesterday and wanted to see if anyone has some extra trips for me?

I booked with an outfitter so I don’t need to worry about location of decoys.

I know most people wear white for snow geese but is it still the best option this year with the lack of snow?
Old 02-22-2024, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntcarpenter View Post
I booked my first Snow goose hunt yesterday and wanted to see if anyone has some extra trips for me?

I booked with an outfitter so I don’t need to worry about location of decoys.

I know most people wear white for snow geese but is it still the best option this year with the lack of snow?
Wearing white and snow geese isn’t about blending in with the turf. The decoy spread is your cover and you’re trying to blend in with that. If you’re in blinds or coffins, then obviously wear something appropriate for that. Enjoy your hunt. They can be very fun.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Wearing white and snow geese isn’t about blending in with the turf. The decoy spread is your cover and you’re trying to blend in with that. If you’re in blinds or coffins, then obviously wear something appropriate for that. Enjoy your hunt. They can be very fun.
I’m glad I asked. Thank makes a lot of sense now.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:43 PM

Who did you book through? I am trying to find an outfitter that deals in day rates for Alberta residents but my google-fu is weak. I'd like to do one or two days afield this spring, and I don't want to pay $3,000 for a 3 day luxury adventure. I just wanna be on the birds in the morning.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:41 AM

I booked with X field outfitters.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:09 AM

If you have any questions about your hunt you should contact your guide. If he's worth his salt he should be happy to answer any and all questions
Old 03-28-2024, 09:09 AM

Here's a link to a Montana Lake where they count waterfowl migration numbers and chart it. Very interesting and is a good predictor for when to expect large numbers to be found in AB.
This might not help you because you most likely already have the date of your hunt booked, but still interesting.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/dashboar...1b9554b19a1dbd
Old 03-29-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxiD View Post
If you have any questions about your hunt you should contact your guide. If he's worth his salt he should be happy to answer any and all questions
This. Every guide will have his own system, just follow his instructions and have a good time.

Other tips? Bring twice the ammo you think you'll need. Have been on snow goose hunts where it's literally raining birds and I wish I brought a helmet. five of us shot our limit in a couple hours. cleaning 250 birds takes the rest of the day, and a lot of beer.

when everything comes together a snow hunt is an amazing thing.