Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2016, 02:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
Firm handshake, lots of eye contact. Speak professionally. Dress as best you can to suit the job. No BS.
Answer everything in the positive. No negative reactions or comments. Don't kiss ass but go in knowing you bring huge assets to the company and no one else would be a better fit. Humble confidence
Old 02-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Banned

Use the washroom before you go into the office

Do a once over on your appearance

Make sure your phone is off or leave it in your vehicle.

Be nice to the receptionist always the first person you meet

Be courteous to anyone you encounter that day leading to the meeting
Never know who someone might be.

Shake hands with everyone in the room
Old 02-05-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
Well since the downturn in the economy, my home business has virtually come to a standstill.
I have an opportunity on Monday for a job Interview that will actually blow away any kind of money I have made before.
Heres the problem. It's been 32 years since I have had an interview, and really, that interview was nothing special. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to make the interview swing in the right direction?
I am going through a mock interview today, which will I'm sure help immensely, but just looking for more.
I have researched the company and the things that pertain for the job.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Pm me. I am great with interviews. Helped folks get jobs. If youre in Calgary you can swing over. Catch some perch and I will pass along what I know.

Size of company is important. Do they have an HR group. Have you met anyone in person. Do you know anyone there?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-05-2016, 06:50 PM

Be honest...respect your potential employer...if you want to go back to your home business when things get better, you should let them know it's a consideration.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:22 PM

Default Im ready :)

Well I got through the mock interview today, it went really well. A lot of the suggestions posted here were brought up during the process, some really good points here. One member actually called me today and gave me some really good advice (great people on this forum). So now over the weekend I will be doing a little more research, making notes on scenario questions and answers etc. I feel I am ready and will be getting an offer afterwards. I did find out there is one other candidate for the position, but they feel with my 30 years of experience and knowledge will be the swing vote, not that anything is guaranteed.
Again, thanks for all the input.
I will let you all know how it turned out.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:23 PM

Default Right on

and best of luck!
Old 02-06-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkav View Post
and best of luck!
X2
Old 02-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Gone Fishing

How did you do? You cant leave us hanging.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:17 PM

Default Interview today

Well it went really well, conversation flowed smoothly, was able to answer all questions without hesitation. I will say I was as nervous as a sheep around a colony. But it quickly subsided as it was a very relaxed atmosphere. They have 1 other person to interview and will hear the results by the end of the week. So the waiting game begins. This will be a job of a lifetime for myself and my family, so here's to more sleepless nights...lol

Again, thanks to all who gave pointers and tips, it truly did help
Old 02-08-2016, 06:18 PM
Banned

Default Best of

Quote:
Well it went really well, conversation flowed smoothly, was able to answer all questions without hesitation. I will say I was as nervous as a sheep around a colony. But it quickly subsided as it was a very relaxed atmosphere. They have 1 other person to interview and will hear the results by the end of the week. So the waiting game begins. This will be a job of a lifetime for myself and my family, so here's to more sleepless nights...lol

Again, thanks to all who gave pointers and tips, it truly did help
Luck!
Old 02-08-2016, 06:34 PM

Fingers crossed for you. Sounds like you put forward a great impression - congrats and well done.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:55 PM

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That is what I hated about my former job. If someone contacted me about a former employee of mine, I was only allowed to confirm that the employee worked for me, I was not allowed to divulge any details as to the employee being terminated, or any issues with that employee. As well, as a representative of the company, I was not allowed to give a reference for any of my present employees.
Most companies are the same.

My standard question was, "Given the chance, would you hire this person again."

Most would not answer the question, due to policies, but the amount of time that they hesitated before answering was often very telling. The odd, "In an heart beat" is what I hoped to hear. Vacillation after longer hesitation spoke volumes.

YMMV
Old 02-08-2016, 07:27 PM
Banned

Default If I could

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAlbertan View Post
Luck!
Don't hang ur future on this interview. Yes. Hope and be proud that u made a good impression. But please don't sit still waiting. Aggressively continue the hunt until the deal is done. Been there myself a couple of times. Make ur own destiny.

All the best.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:49 PM

On behalf of old guys everywhere.
Best of luck and wish you every success.
You deserve to get a shot
Old 02-08-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccan View Post
Don't do this...come into an interview and say you will take anything...and then say you can't work for less than $30/hr....had two guys do this in the last two weeks
Overheard a couple guys on the coast saying how they don't get out of bed for less than 30$ for laboring.

A bit of a **** off when your a ticketed apprentice making that much and working for it.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAlbertan View Post
Don't hang ur future on this interview. Yes. Hope and be proud that u made a good impression. But please don't sit still waiting. Aggressively continue the hunt until the deal is done. Been there myself a couple of times. Make ur own destiny.

All the best.
I'm not waiting around. I still have my own company and still working, just looking for a more stable environment. This opportunity fell in my lap after a week of being on linkedin, so I had to jump at it.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:35 AM

Well I'm too late to offer any advice, but you got some excellent comments already. However, even though you have had your interview I am going to share one thing you should not do. This actually happened when we were interviewing this guy. It was a phone interview, three of us and the candidate. We do this to feel the person out before flying them out here for a face to face.

So we were on the phone with him, he was obviously on his Cell phone. He answered the first four or five questions quite well, though he did seem a little cavalier. Then as we were asking him the next question, he asked us, or more accurately told us, to hold on a minute. We then heard his exchange with the clerk in what was obviously a drive through window, I guess he was getting lunch. We looked at each other and finished asking the question. Once he answered we said that was all that we required. He was surprised, "Shortest interview he'd ever had" We said "Really". Needless to say we didn't hire him.

Respect is so important.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:03 AM

Default The verdict is in

Well, I didn't get the job.
But on a positive note, they did say it was one of the best interviews they have had the pleasure of giving. They loved my expertise and the way I had presented myself, but felt I was just not the right fit for the job as I was lacking in expertise in one area. They also said it was very tough to say no to me as for how the interview went, they had never rejected anyone with such a positive interview. They are keeping my name for future employment opportunities, which is a good thing I guess.
Guess I keep plugging away till another opportunity arises. It's too bad as it was a dream job that will be tough to find another like it.

Cheers....
Old 02-11-2016, 06:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
But on a positive note, they did say it was one of the best interviews they have had the pleasure of giving. They loved my expertise and the way I had presented myself, but felt I was just not the right fit for the job as I was lacking in expertise in one area. They also said it was very tough to say no to me as for how the interview went, they had never rejected anyone with such a positive interview. They are keeping my name for future employment opportunities, which is a good thing I guess.
Guess I keep plugging away till another opportunity arises. It's too bad as it was a dream job that will be tough to find another like it.

Cheers....
Chin up, you gave it a shot, more will come, hard sometimes to figure out what they really want but hey you got in there and got dirty better than not and wondering what if!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-11-2016, 01:17 PM

It is a little late but I have 3 points

Remember that it is not one way. you are also looking at them to see if you want to be there.

From experience
If they ask if you are a workaholic, don't laugh

When you sit down don't break the chair.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:17 PM

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:

Cheers....
Sorry to hear.
One big positive is that they had the courtesy to tell you why they went with the other candidate.

Hopefully you can reconcile that in your mind and accept it as the reason.

Sometimes a blessing in disguise. I did a phone interview and 2 short list interview with a company that I knew I could grow and be effective in that role.
Was certain that our chemistry was good and started to count on making a difference.

Disappointed when they went with the other candidate and they never said why.
Thirteen months go by and I see that the company went under.

You just never know.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Cheers....
Follow up with thanking them for the time and would love to be considered for other positions in the future. Also to protect them from privacy laws tell them they have permission to pass your resume along. Use this as another potential network node.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-29-2016, 06:16 PM

Default Apparently it's not over yet

Got a call today, apparently they had interviewed numerous people, but my name always came up, that they didn't give me the chance to really explain all my expertise. So now they have asked me to submit a synopsis of my expertise that we never touched on. So maybe this dream job will finally come through for me. Here's hoping.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:47 PM

That's great to hear! The fact alone that your name kept coming up means you made an impression on them. Now to set the hook.

Good luck.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:13 PM
Banned

Good luck.
Keep us posted.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Got a call today, apparently they had interviewed numerous people, but my name always came up, that they didn't give me the chance to really explain all my expertise. So now they have asked me to submit a synopsis of my expertise that we never touched on. So maybe this dream job will finally come through for me. Here's hoping.
If you don't mind what area of work does this entail, might be some on here that can give some more one to one help.
WDF
Old 02-29-2016, 07:43 PM

1. Plan a response to the generic questions that are most likely posed in any interview.
2. Research everything you can about the company and position you are interviewing for. Know the party line and job culture.
3. Generate a list of questions to gain more information for yourself. Have more questions for the interviewer than the interviewer has for you.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
1. Plan a response to the generic questions that are most likely posed in any interview.
2. Research everything you can about the company and position you are interviewing for. Know the party line and job culture.
3. Generate a list of questions to gain more information for yourself. Have more questions for the interviewer than the interviewer has for you.
All good points. I have done the interview, they just want a letter from me outlining certain things that he felt he never asked or was brought up. The good news is, I think I have exactly what he is looking for. So I sent the letter tonight, hope I hear something in the next day or 2. Hopefully an offer