Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-29-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest View Post
The Chinese military Sks's shoot just as good as the Russian Sks's, maybe even better. Never had a problem with Chinese Sks's shooting surplus EVER, but have seen guys take there sks's "Russian and Chinese "without cleaning the bolt properly thus making the firing pin stick and then blame the ammo. Most of the time its operator error.
Yeah my SKS is a 65 Chinese and its never had a problem with surplus ammo...
Can't blame any accuracy problems on it either,I just have bad eyes.
Someone with better blinkers could shoot some pretty good groups with my SKS,even with the surplus ammo!
Its just alot of fun to shoot tho!
Old 05-26-2011, 04:58 PM

Default sks

Yes they are a hoot to shoot. Cleaning the cosmoline COMPLETELY out of it will make it a little more reliable. I would recommend buying a Tula or an Izzy (Russian) gun. And shop the net....west rifle.com for example, you can pick from a few....the down side is that you can't handle them first. My point being you dont need to pay 300 bucks for one. there are cheaper ones out there! The surplus ammo is a great deal of fun to shoot, but you have to clean the hell out of them asap....I recommend taking your cleaning kit to the field and clean as soon as you are finished. Have fun and keep us posted!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Default I think they are great

What's not to like. Excellent and cheap ammo, indestructible, hits what you aim it at. Always works.

As far as that deer story is concerned, I'd like to know where it was hit, not in the neck I'll bet. Lots of shots is no substitute for correct placement of the first shot.

I know a similar story about a moose, 5 shots from a 7 mm mag. and a waist deep tag alder swamp.

Practice with any rifle you intend to hunt with.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
So, who ****ed in your corn flakes today?

Grizz
whats the problem hes giving his opinion grizz! everybodies so #itchy on this site
i feel the same way,crap,junk waste of time. the triggeres on them skss are the ships , save your money and buy something accurate,
Old 05-27-2011, 09:28 AM

a bunch of my friends who have been doing this longer then me all have them and love them, I am toying with the idea of getting one but since our range in okotoks doesnt allow surplus I dont really have a place to shoot it.

Marstar has the Chinese ones for sale as well 199 with a gas and shirt got the love free shirts right

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/CHI...ITARY-SKS.shtm
Old 05-27-2011, 09:27 PM

Default range

Ya, that is a problem in Calgary as well, not being allowed to shoot steel core at the range. I found 100 Brass cases and am working up a load as we speak. Gonna try what I can to make her shoot better, If I fail, a sow ear is still a sows ear.......I have my Tikka .223 to drive tacks. Go into any SKS purchase with simple fun in mind. Some come from the factory as pretty good shooters, some are crap......but having fun is always in fashion. Chris
Old 05-27-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
whats the problem hes giving his opinion grizz! everybodies so #itchy on this site
i feel the same way,crap,junk waste of time. the triggeres on them skss are the ships , save your money and buy something accurate,
I bought one a few weeks ago and guess what?

I didn't buy it to drive tacks at 500 yards..

I didn't buy it to use as a hunting rifle..

I bought it because when I pull the shippy trigger it goes "BANG" and that's what it is all about..*wink*
Old 06-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
What's not to like. Excellent and cheap ammo, indestructible, hits what you aim it at. Always works.

As far as that deer story is concerned, I'd like to know where it was hit, not in the neck I'll bet. Lots of shots is no substitute for correct placement of the first shot.

I know a similar story about a moose, 5 shots from a 7 mm mag. and a waist deep tag alder swamp.

Practice with any rifle you intend to hunt with.
I took pics of the heart which took a round. The animal still ran a long distance. The projectile was a 123 gn spitzer bullet and in my opinion way too light for a game animal the size of a deer. if I knew how to load that pic onto this site I would but I think the pic is also too big.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:02 PM

SKS? thoughts? Uh....nope!
Cat
Old 06-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Banned

I agree with you cat, I wouldn't own one again. However, I did pop a couple of yotes with mine when I did own one.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:07 PM

they are so accurate, gitrdun is going to run his in the postal match!

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
they are so accurate, gitrdun is going to run his in the postal match!
none one said you couldn't spray the targets, as long as there are 5 holes on paper, good to go!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:06 AM

Default corrosive ammunition

Does anyone here personally have experience with a barrel or action that has been damaged by corrosive ammunition? every site or post that deals with the russian type surplus rifles brings it up (with varying arguments) but none that I have read actually post a picture or real life experience with the problem. There are millions of these rifles shooting this ammunition all over the world every day for years on end and they all seem to do what they were intended to do. Also, I doubt that some guy who carries and shoots his AK on a daily basis in Nigera has the products or inclination to clean his rifle the way that we might and I'll bet his rifle will be passed down to his son (or the his enemies son) when he is done with it.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Banned

The way I look at this is : IF it,s good enought for the Chinese or Ruskies to kill a North American capitalist , ITS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME
Old 06-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Gone Hunting

7.62x39 AMMO - 1120 round cases - 56 boxes all on stripper clips: $160.00ea for 5 or more cases $179.99 for 1 case

this is from the h ttp://www.yorktonhomehardware.com/index.php#specials website. what is the cheapest AB source for &.62 x 39?
Old 06-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukwild View Post
Does anyone here personally have experience with a barrel or action that has been damaged by corrosive ammunition? every site or post that deals with the russian type surplus rifles brings it up (with varying arguments) but none that I have read actually post a picture or real life experience with the problem. There are millions of these rifles shooting this ammunition all over the world every day for years on end and they all seem to do what they were intended to do. Also, I doubt that some guy who carries and shoots his AK on a daily basis in Nigera has the products or inclination to clean his rifle the way that we might and I'll bet his rifle will be passed down to his son (or the his enemies son) when he is done with it.
I was thinking the same thing when I got mine. I even read a post about one rusting overnight. So, I checked mine daily after putting 30 rounds through it. After a week and a bit, no rust. Still though, I clean my gas tube and piston, oil it and then clean the barrel bore from the muzzle end (using a guide of course) and no problem. The bore on mine looks nicer than some people's hunting rifle. I purchased my ammo from the Shooting Edge, don't know if it's the cheapest, but when you're in the $180.00 price range for 1100 rounds, it's not an issue.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I was thinking the same thing when I got mine. I even read a post about one rusting overnight. So, I checked mine daily after putting 30 rounds through it. After a week and a bit, no rust. Still though, I clean my gas tube and piston, oil it and then clean the barrel bore from the muzzle end (using a guide of course) and no problem. The bore on mine looks nicer than some people's hunting rifle. I purchased my ammo from the Shooting Edge, don't know if it's the cheapest, but when you're in the $180.00 price range for 1100 rounds, it's not an issue.
Not sure about the refurb barrels, but most of the gas system is chromed.

Grizz
Old 06-03-2011, 09:06 PM

Thinking of taking mine out for deer this fall.Anyone know a good softpoint for them and where to buy them?
Old 06-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Banned

I believe that Hornady does. I also saw a set of Hornady dies at Fly's Etc. in High River. I don't know about factory loaded ammo except for the milsurp stuff. Although I feel that mine would be plenty accurate to hunt with, within it's capabilities, I still won't do it, seeing that I have other & better equipment. I got my SKS strictly for the fun of it with no intentions to hunt anything other than perhaps gophers. Oh! and shooting in the postal match.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:25 AM

I was thinking of using it in a treestand for deer,shots would be 50 yards or less.It should work just fine in this situation..
Old 06-04-2011, 03:00 PM

To clear up a bit of false information here:
1: Yugo SKS do not have a chromed barrel (no local source)
2: 1949 Russian SKS do not have chrome bore but they are only ones that have a spring on the fireing pin
3:Russian Izhevsk factory only made SKS in 1953/54
4:1949 and some early 1950 Russian's had spike bayonets
5:No parts except the bore were ever chromed on any SKS unless it was cerimonial
6:Russian SKS were marked on the front sight base with a 1/2/3 after refurb to show test accuracy with 1 being best
7:the stamped reciever/pinned barrel Chinese look like hell but shoot very well although they seem very uncommon in Canada
8:any story of a heart shot deer running any distance turns on my bull**** meter and gets ignored as such
The SKS functions and works.
Period.
Cheap junk? Have a look at your fancy $1500 deer rifle in it's plastic furniture, flimsy trigger springs, plastic floorplate or stamped and you realize that the SKS is actualy put together better than most new bolt actions on the market today and will still be functioning when that $1500 POS has long since died.
Cheers
Old 06-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Banned

Great reply turtlewolf: I've never intended my SKS to be a hunter rifle. But it turned out to be an adequate shooter as far as intentions being and being a shooter far and beyond my expexctations. Still though, If a lot of folks have no problems hunting with a SMLE or a .30-30, then why should there be a problem hunting with one of these rigs if they've proven themselves adequate within their limited range? A clean kill is a clean kill whether your gun is black or green.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewolf View Post
To clear up a bit of false information here:
1: Yugo SKS do not have a chromed barrel (no local source)

5:No parts except the bore were ever chromed on any SKS unless it was cerimonial
So how do you explain all the chromed bayonets and the chromed gas pistons in all the SKSs, I've seen.

Grizz
Old 06-04-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
So how do you explain all the chromed bayonets and the chromed gas pistons in all the SKSs, I've seen.

Grizz
Are you sure it's chrome? I have never seen a chrome bayonet on an SKS unless it was in a picture of an Honor Gaurd honestly and I've seen a lot of crates of Russian and Chinese. I'm not doubting your experience, but we have certainly had two very different ones.
Same as the gas piston, I have mine here now and it certainly does not make me think chrome, my old Chinese I had for years didn't look like chrome either. It is certainly polished and I could be wrong on that, but they honestly don't look chromed.
GitRdun:my hunting rifle of choice (since I was 13 and worked odd jobs to buy it) is a Parker Hale Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 sporter that puts three bullets into a nice touching clover leaf at 100 meters. I didn't shoot the group (I'm not a great marksman), Don at Dons Gunsmithing did with Priva 180 grain factory ammunition. I've often felt over gunned after blowing the crap out of a deers front end with a facing chest shot at 45 meters using 180 Winchester, which is VERY frangible btw, and I am going to take the SKS out and give it a shot this year.
Hunted with the Chinese one for years, but never got a shot at a deer sadly enough but if you aim and hit the white spot under the neck you get dead deer no matter if it is a 90 grain .243 or a 300 grain .375.
Cheers
Old 06-04-2011, 09:49 PM

I shot my deer last year at a 100yards he was broadside. I was using the Privi Partisan 123gr soft point. The rd went though the deer, left a nice hole you could stick your finger through in and out.
Is it good at killing yup, is it the most accurate gun out there nope. Will it kill yup.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:40 PM

Whatever you do, buy a RUSSIAN SKS. THe wood on the Chinese models will scratch if you look at it! Also the workmanship is much better! Head to Milarm in Edmonton pick one up for cheap (they range from 175-400$ but the only difference is the direction of the grain in the stock!), they also give a discount on cases of ammo if you've ever bought an SKS from them before.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Banned

Anyone who needs to put 5 rounds into a deer and it does not drop needs to stop hunting until they learn to shoot.

The 7.62x39 round has similar ballistics and power to a 30/30, and the 30/30 is a proven deer round. This fall we will be using the 7.62x39 to harvest deer. I have no worries as to it's ability, since I know it's limitations, as well as mine.

As for hunting with an SKS, they are heavy and rattle too much. I bought a hunting rifle in 7.62x39 for my son. It shoots nice tight groups out to 200m, and that is with PrviPartizan 123gSP.

The SKS rifles are great fun to shoot at the range with cheap surplus rounds. I can hit the metal gong at 100m and 200m ranges consistently, with the occasional lucky shot at the 300m gong.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:10 PM

Smile Just bought one!

Less than $200 and a ton of ammo on stripper clips all for less than $500. How can you miss.

I think that they would kill deer just fine. They go bang every time.

The rub is as you age, among other things that don't work so well is eyesight, my tri focals were not designed for this. I'm not going to shoot game with this, but I would like a sight. Is it possible and what is the advice? Thanks.

Without out a scope the young lads will get to shoot all of gramp's ammo, and I wouldn't like that!
Old 06-05-2011, 04:13 PM

Just cheap plinkers.

And their owners leave their casings all over the wilderness..........

I talked to Petra earlier and she suggested a different outcome.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Less than $200 and a ton of ammo on stripper clips all for less than $500. How can you miss.

I think that they would kill deer just fine. They go bang every time.

The rub is as you age, among other things that don't work so well is eyesight, my tri focals were not designed for this. I'm not going to shoot game with this, but I would like a sight. Is it possible and what is the advice? Thanks.

Without out a scope the young lads will get to shoot all of gramp's ammo, and I wouldn't like that!
Unfortunatly, no -- not without a lot of work.

Do not listen to people who tell you it is possible. There are two common scope mounts for the SKS. Actually, three. One is a replacement rear reciever cover with a rail on it, and if you file it to be ULTRA precise this is the best way to do it, but it will never be perfect and never hold true. There is a 'scout mount' that replaces the flip up sight and might work, but it's too far from your face and a gas tube mount as well. I filed mine to be a super tight fit and had a red dot there for awhile but I went back to the irons.

The SKS is . . not a fancy weapon for scopes or excessive gear. It's not a fancy lady you whine and dine and spend a ton of money on, but more the cheap hooker you bang (pun intended) repeatedly and can't stop going back to because it's economical and fun.

You CAN get a side mount scope drilled into it, but it is not worth the cost and effort on this gun.

Also, don't listen to people who crap on the SKS because it's 'overly cheap' etc. Mine has accounted for a goodly number of deer and the best thing is, I'm not afraid to bang it around a bit in the bush.

Cheers.

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC