Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-13-2019, 05:16 PM

Default 110 lightweight storm

I am looking to get a lightweight rifle.
Have been reading about the savage 110 LIGHTWEIGHT STORM in 308
Under 6 lbs— I am trying not to break the bank!

If anyone has experience with this rifle or any reviews it be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2019, 07:02 PM

Buy a Kimber.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:34 PM

I lost on the kimber roulette... it shot bad, wouldn't take full amount in the mag, jammed up....
Also had a savage lightweight hunter that cost half the kimber and out performed it. Shot better as well and weighed less.

The bad thing is all the savage rifles I have had would rust if you even mentioned water to them even the "stainless" ones would.

That rifles looks good though... maybe crecote it...
Old 08-13-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I lost on the kimber roulette... it shot bad, wouldn't take full amount in the mag, jammed up....
Also had a savage lightweight hunter that cost half the kimber and out performed it. Shot better as well and weighed less.

The bad thing is all the savage rifles I have had would rust if you even mentioned water to them even the "stainless" ones would.

That rifles looks good though... maybe crecote it...
I’ll take that Kimber off your hands.....
What is any different then any other rifle we can buy? I have owned two Savages, nether one was worth the money I paid for them, in fact the first one I bought spent more time In getting repaired then in my hands. I have also owned many Remington 700s and I have yet to find a bad one( or one that goes off by itself for that matter)... yet some people have horrible luck with them.

Op buy the rifle you want and enjoy it. Light rifles ( no matter what it is) are not easy to shoot and it take a lot of practice to shoot them effectively. I have found this being more of the problem with Kimbers then the rifle itself.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:47 PM

The kimber is gone... I disclose all to the buyer before.
For the life of me I couldn't get it to shoot any decent groups at all. I know it was an early model hunter which there were some issues with. Like the mag not actually being big enough for 3 rounds and some other stuff.

Anyway not to diss kimber as I believe there are some awesome ones out there still.

Part of the issue was fit anyways as my 300wsm tikka kicks less in my opinion then the 6.5 creedmoor kimber...

To the OP here are lots of cheaper tikkas or lightweight hunters out there, or kimbers for the msrp of that savage, although it looks nice
Old 08-15-2019, 09:53 PM

I have the blued/wood lightweight hunter in 243
pros: ready to hunt at 7 lbs. MOA or just under with factory ammo. Good trigger. Well balanced for a lightweight gun. Good recoil pad

Cons: barrel heats up fast, two shot groups are the norm, the third can drift. Even the 243 recoil moves it a lot, it doesn’t stay on target for a follow up shot. Regarding recoil, I don’t know that I’d want it in more than a 6.5CM. The damn plastic trigger guard broke mid-season - get a metal one right from the start.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:04 AM

I bought a Savage Lightweight hunter new about 9 or 10 years ago chambered in 6.5-284 Norma. I've taken Moose, Elk, several deer and a Cougar with it. Mine shoots better than some higher priced rifles in my safe, and is a pleasure to pack. Although I was never a Savage fan, I wouldn't hesitate buying another.

Craig

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk