Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-11-2019, 09:41 AM

Default Remington 700 extractor

As I was getting the last of my ammo chamber checked prior to leaving on a caribou hunt next weekend I realized that the extractor on my rifle is no longer making great contact and the occasional unfired cartridge was holding up in the chamber.

Hasn’t come up till now because all year at the range I single feed and rarely eject an unfired round. It seems to extract and eject fired brass fine for now but it still has me concerned that something might come up on the mountain.

Looking for recommendations, should I scramble to try to find a smith that can replace the extractor before leaving? Can anyone recommend a someone? I’m driving from Edmonton to Medicine Hat tomorrow and could stop anywhere in between on the few available routes.

Thanks,
Old 08-11-2019, 11:15 AM

Default Dang

Dang, thats a tough one. If its the rivet style, I have had them be finicky after replacing them, and have had to replace the replacements. Is there possibly crud built up under it that a good cleaning will resolve?
Its also a bit suspect that it will eject empty cases fine but not loaded ones?
Is the bolt hard to close or lift the bolt handle with the unfired cartridges?
I dont think I would replace the Extractor with the short time you have to test it.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:19 AM

Drop by Rod Henriksons shop, nw Edm. Might be able to help you quickly.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:23 AM
Banned

It may not be the same as a remington but I have had a xbolt that was doing the same thing, it was found to be a piece of crud got jammed under it, cleaned it out and works like new again, good luck
Old 08-11-2019, 11:32 AM

My thinking is that upon firing a round it forces the rim of the cartridge a little more firmly under the extractor and it pulls it out fine. Cycling empty brass I get the same intermittent failure to extract. I had the same thought about crud and gave it a good clean and it hasn’t helped at all.

Bolt isn’t hard to close at all, bullets are seated pretty far out but a touch off the lands.

I’m thinking the same thing, I don’t want to get too crazy changing things at the last second. I’m going to head the the range for a final sight in and see how it cycles, it could be that this problem just presented and I might have more trouble than I thought.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akoch View Post
My thinking is that upon firing a round it forces the rim of the cartridge a little more firmly under the extractor and it pulls it out fine. Cycling empty brass I get the same intermittent failure to extract. I had the same thought about crud and gave it a good clean and it hasn’t helped at all.

Bolt isn’t hard to close at all, bullets are seated pretty far out but a touch off the lands.

I’m thinking the same thing, I don’t want to get too crazy changing things at the last second. I’m going to head the the range for a final sight in and see how it cycles, it could be that this problem just presented and I might have more trouble than I thought.
I dont know if i would take it with me on a hunt like that until I was confident in it,
Old 08-11-2019, 02:32 PM

Dropped it with Ron, extractor’s right pooched. Must have been weak to begin with and has just gotten progressively worse. It’s nice to be able to have it fixed before I leave and have the option to take it on this hunt. I was hoping to stretch the legs on the new load I’ve worked up for it while down south but that’s not going to happen.

I’ll be torn on wether to trust it or not, the whole reason I was willing to pack the extra weight of this rifle is because I have confidence in the rifle and load.

Should be able to get to the range Friday before my flight, hopefully everything works tickety boo and it shoots the lights out.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dropped it with Ron, extractor’s right pooched. Must have been weak to begin with and has just gotten progressively worse. It’s nice to be able to have it fixed before I leave and have the option to take it on this hunt. I was hoping to stretch the legs on the new load I’ve worked up for it while down south but that’s not going to happen.

I’ll be torn on wether to trust it or not, the whole reason I was willing to pack the extra weight of this rifle is because I have confidence in the rifle and load.

Should be able to get to the range Friday before my flight, hopefully everything works tickety boo and it shoots the lights out.
That’s fantastic news
Old 08-14-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I have confidence in the rifle and load.
And with the correct shot placement, you won't need to extract for a 2nd shot.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:53 PM

What kind of a caribou hunt are you going on horseback hiking etc. I did a mountain caribou hunt a few years ago and was the only guy to take one rifle with me. Wouldn’t you know it my horse got a little jumpy and sideswiped another horse breaking my stock off at the palm grip. Maybe consider taking two and enjoy your hunt.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:17 PM
Banned

This is why I have an AR15 extractor in my 700.