Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-25-2019, 04:58 PM

I’ve killed deer and moose between 200 and 300 yards with everything from 250 grain to 215 grain flat based , boat tailed, spitzer and round nosed cup and core bullets with absolutely no issues from the same rifle .
Shoot what works in the rifle , period .
Cat
Old 07-25-2019, 09:19 PM

I actually put some thought into this just recently,and I think carrying two types of ammo is quite do-able for specific situations,namely long range hunting.
To elaborate,I’m a big fan of the monos,shooting 165 GMX for everything in my 30-06,and 165 TTSX in my .300WSM
Impressed as I’ve been with performance from the monos,I also know that they require high impact velocity for reliable expansion.
So that said,I don’t see any issue with loading up with monos for 95% of your hunting,and swapping it out in the field for something like an ELDX if you were faced with a serious long range shot,like 6-700 yards or even 500?
So long as you’ve done your homework and trigger time at the range,know the difference in zeros,and you are capable and confident in your long range game, you’re twisting turrets to make that 700 yard shot anyhow,what’s the difference which ammo you have in the tube?
Im not saying it’s for everybody or even all that necessary or feasible,but if you know the corrections on your turrets to zero between 2 different loads on the fly it’s absolutely possible to do so effectively.

Last edited by boonerbust; 07-25-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Actually, when using monometal bullets, like the TTSX, impact velocity does play a significant role in how the bullet expands and kills. The people that complain about the performance of these bullets, are the people that use heavy for caliber bullets, at lower velocities.

And if you rarely shoot past 200 yards, why would you be at all concerned with the B.C. of the bullet?

Probably why I don't shoot monos I guess. Speed is less of a factor.

The post wasn't about me and what I use and it wasn't about the STW you use. Maybe the OP does shoot further than 200 yds and would like a bullet with better than a mediocre 392 BC and doesn't have to be pushed as fast to perform.

Doesn't matter. I'll stick with 140 AB's and 150 NP's because they do the job for me and in the 150's case the SD's and ballistics are far superior to any 130. I used to shot 130's exclusively in the 70's and 80's. Now not at all. The advantages are all with the larger bullets. 150's in a 270 aren't really what I'd call heavy for caliber anyways. 160's and up are.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
You shoot 200 yards and are worried about B.C.?
Really?
Your cutlines on the bush must be way windier than my cutlines in the bush

200 yds on "average" sure. Sometimes longer. Sometimes a lot shorter. Probably right where most guys are when they aren't bragging about being Furlong or Kyle. Lots of amazing paper shooters out there tho right?

Cutlines sometimes. Cutblocks sometimes. Meadows sometimes. Pastures sometimes. You know.They actually have those in the bush too believe it or not.

Not real interested in your bush cutlines. Feel free to manscape as you see fit.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Probably why I don't shoot monos I guess. Speed is less of a factor.

The post wasn't about me and what I use and it wasn't about the STW you use. Maybe the OP does shoot further than 200 yds and would like a bullet with better than a mediocre 392 BC and doesn't have to be pushed as fast to perform.

Doesn't matter. I'll stick with 140 AB's and 150 NP's because they do the job for me and in the 150's case the SD's and ballistics are far superior to any 130. I used to shot 130's exclusively in the 70's and 80's. Now not at all. The advantages are all with the larger bullets. 150's in a 270 aren't really what I'd call heavy for caliber anyways. 160's and up are.
There isn't a big game animal in Alberta, that a proper 130 gr bullet out of a 270win won't kill cleanly. Thousands of big game animals have been killed with that combination.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
200 yds on "average" sure. Sometimes longer. Sometimes a lot shorter. Probably right where most guys are when they aren't bragging about being Furlong or Kyle. Lots of amazing paper shooters out there tho right?

Cutlines sometimes. Cutblocks sometimes. Meadows sometimes. Pastures sometimes. You know.They actually have those in the bush too believe it or not.

Not real interested in your bush cutlines. Feel free to manscape as you see fit.
Who’s bragging?
We hunt differently
Different ways of accomplishing the same goal
I just don’t understand your logic that’s all
One thread your talking about bc and sd being important
The next one your talking about hitting a pie plate at 200 yards and it’s good enough?
Next one your saying you only hunt the bush and 200 yards. With a 270? Not my first choice of bush gun.
I’m just scratching my head here?
🤷*♂️
Old 07-26-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There isn't a big game animal in Alberta, that a proper 130 gr bullet out of a 270win won't kill cleanly. Thousands of big game animals have been killed with that combination.

I 100% agree. Been shooting one since the 70's. A friend guided in the Yukon for years and took 7 good grizzlies with that combination. Wouldn't be my choice but it'll get the job done in the right hands.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Who’s bragging?
We hunt differently
Different ways of accomplishing the same goal
I just don’t understand your logic that’s all
One thread your talking about bc and sd being important
The next one your talking about hitting a pie plate at 200 yards and it’s good enough?
Next one your saying you only hunt the bush and 200 yards. With a 270? Not my first choice of bush gun.
I’m just scratching my head here?
🤷*♂️

Keep scratching bud. I don't think I said a 270 was my "one gun" did I. Dont recall using a pie plate at 200 yds reference either so I'll just assume you're writing your own narratives. Is that what these damn 150s are good for? I've used it in the bush because, why not? I don't remember being told I had to restrict myself to 30-30's and 45-70's for bush blasting, but I've also used it down south for muleys and antelope. I just chuckle at folks that think 130's are all a person can and should use in a 270 when there are as good and better options.

Do you even shoot a 270? From the posts I've read I'd assume it's a cartridge you couldn't be much bothered with.

Last edited by 270person; 07-26-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Keep scratching bud. I don't think I said a 270 was my "one gun" did I. Dont recall using a pie plate at 200 yds reference either so I'll just assume you're writing your own narratives. Is that what these damn 150s are good for? I've used it in the bush because, why not? I don't remember being told I had to restrict myself to 30-30's and 45-70's for bush blasting, but I've also used it down south for muleys and antelope. I just chuckle at folks that think 130's are all a person can and should use in a 270 when there are as good and better options.

Do you even shoot a 270? From the posts I've read I'd assume it's a cartridge you couldn't be much bothered with.
The title of this thread is about switching ammo mid day
The op seems newer and this would probably cause some grief with point of impact changes
130’s or 150’s really won’t make that much of a difference
Use whatever your rifle likes more
Not sure whatever else your rambling about
One day you’ve done this
Next day you’ve done that
I used to use a 270 and had great results even with the mighty ballistic tips but my go to was the bone busting trophy bonded bear claw
Best thing for the op would be to try a bunch of ammo til he finds what his rifle likes. Then sell the part boxes or blast them off at the range for practice
Just stick with 1 and you’ll have more confidence when you pull the trigger
Old 07-26-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I’ve killed deer and moose between 200 and 300 yards with everything from 150 grain to 215 grain flat based , boat tailed, spitzer and round nosed cup and core bullets with absolutely no issues from the same rifle .
Shoot what works in the rifle , period .
Cat
Sorry I made a mistake in my post and didn't Realize it until it was too late to edit it
Should have read 150 not 250 grain bullets!Fixed it now.
The fact of the matter is however that although I can do it I don’t switch loads in the middle of a hunt unless something drastic happens - like leaving Ammo in camp , etc. Stuff tends to happen at times despite my best efforts !
Cat
Old 07-26-2019, 08:30 AM
Banned

i still own the 270 i bought in 1964, and it has knocked down every animal i ever hit with it (there have been a few misses!) i've shot everything from 90 gr hp to 150's out of it and when i bought a new t3 a few years ago, i decided i'd get rid of all my odds and ends that were reloading lay-arounds. went to 140 gr nosler bt and that's the only bullet in my cupboard now.

not for a second trying to tell you it's the best for you, but for me, i think it's the best compromise for everything and i don't have those 'odds and ends' laying around to make me wonder which bullet i should hunt with today.

the 140's have a good bc, kill near and far, and (i'm repeating myself) seem to me to be the very best of both worlds for the 270..........takes the adjustment part of different loads out of the equation. set your scope once and done.

??
Old 07-26-2019, 09:00 AM

Shoot some game with a 100gr or 110gr Barnes outta out of your 270Win and you’ll soon figure out that these bullets behave very much like a 130gr Nosler Partition(equal impact energies).

Way to many guys run way to heavy of a monolithic bullet, and then gripe about the performance. Drop 20-25% in bullet weight from a Partition designed(or similar characteristics) bullet, and get similar results...... whodathunkit.

25% off of 130 equals 97.5.......

Here’s what Barnes says:
When I use TSX Bullets, should I choose a lighter bullet than I’d normally use?
Because TSX Bullets retain nearly 100 percent of their original weight and penetrate so deeply, many shooters select a lighter-weight X-Bullet or TSX in place of a heavier conventional bullet. The lighter TSX Bullet delivers higher velocities and a flatter trajectory, and outperforms heavier bullets of conventional design. It also produces less recoil.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-27-2019, 12:53 PM

X'S 2 on the Cat idea...

Find out what boolitz the rifle shoots the best,,, then get at it.

My old school 270 pump shot good with frugal 150 grain'ers. I think it was the rifle I used to harvest the Why-Not buck with...

2 or 300 yards as it tipped him over on the edges of a rolly knoll,,, he got into full running mode,,, only problem was,,, he was upside down with his hooves in the air... Ha

Had he been flipped up right I'm sure he would of covered a quarter section in less than 28 seconds,,, tipped over was a good thing...

Yuppers,,, find those accurate boolitz that shoot good and go hunting...

Life is simple that way

👍
Old 08-13-2019, 12:08 PM

Thank for all the insight, its much appreciated. Now comes the fun part, put a box of 130 and 150 gr. and see what I prefer, think ill stick to the one load. Leaning more towards the 150 but i'll see.

Tags
.270, ammo, bullet grain, sighting in a rifle