Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Shrubs

Default Mountain gun

My sheep hunting partner has called me up a few times to tell me about good deals on light mountain rifles hinting that I should get one. I don't have the experience on the mountain that I'm sure lots here do and I've never had a light mountain rifle. I shoot a regular remington 700.

I guess my question would be is it really worth shelling out $800 to $1500 to buy another gun to save a pound? Does it really make that big a difference?

Keep in mind that I don't have a huge disposable income and purchasing a specialized gun like that would be stretching it a little.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:16 AM

Is it worth the $800-1500 for a new gun? In one word...no. You can loose a lb of weight off of SEVERAL other peices of gear easier than your rifle....hell, loosing weight off a gun is harder than loosing weight off most other items...

You do have options though....depending on the gun you shoot right now, you can have work done if you DO want to loose some weight. You can have metal work done, a new stock installed, you can use a lighter scope, go to lighter rings, etc, etc.....a lot of options...

The other way to look at it is if you WANT a new gun. You can sell your gun right now and absorb some of the cost, but it must be a desire to own a light gun...otherwise it aint really 'worth' it IMO....

Lots of options out there, but I guess it all depends on your wants and desires....

In a simple answer though....no...its not worth it unless you personally want it....
Old 02-05-2008, 10:17 AM

I've never hunted in the mountains but I'd thing there are many easier (less expensive) ways to save a pound. You might even want the weight depending on how much recoil you are dealing with.

Train a bit harder and I'll bet you'll be fine with what you've got.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:50 AM

Hey shrubs, I agree with the others bout being able to shed some weight else were in the pack. I would not buy a light rifle for a one hunt a yr. If your buddy has one maybe you could talk him into letting you pack his around for a litte bit next time your out to see if it is worth it to you. That is my thoughts for now anyways.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:56 AM

The guys above hit it right on...not worth the money for a pound or so weight savings.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:58 AM

I agree that its probably not worth it for a few hunts but if you plan on hunting the mountains every year I would seriously consider it, but I guess you should keep in mind that I'm the kind of guy that cuts my toothbrush in half to save weight.

Chet
Old 02-05-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
I agree that its probably not worth it for a few hunts but if you plan on hunting the mountains every year I would seriously consider it, but I guess you should keep in mind that I'm the kind of guy that cuts my toothbrush in half to save weight.

Chet
Sorry chet I couldn't help but laugh when I read this. I have never heard of that.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:36 AM

I cut my toothbrush too.....all the weight and size count.....

Hardest thing for me to find is an after-shave bottle thats small enough to pack up the mountain.....hahah....jk
Old 02-05-2008, 11:38 AM

wow, guess you can tell that I have never done a Backpack hunt. LOL
Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 AM

We need to start a thread...

Funny ways to save pack weight...

I wonder if anyone carries helium balloons with them?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 AM

Not that funny Chet It's something I'll never do again....when it is your only luxury....it's kinda nice to get some torque. I did settle on a smaller version of brush but the handle is intact

It's worth it for lotsa reasons....a pound there is as good as a pound anywhere....just means your gonna be a pound lighter after you lighten the rest. Gotta have confidence in your rig....if spending more $$'s on it does that for ya....have at er....got the same affliction myself. Nothing wrong with carrying your mountain rifle on the prairies. Half the fun of hunting for me is the hours and months dreaming about what I have, what I want, what I need and how to make it all better.....it never gets old....just more expensive.

So now that you're buying a rifle .....which one????

tm
Old 02-05-2008, 12:22 PM

The light rifles truely are nice packing around the hills. Wouldn't trade mine in for anything. Love my 700Ti.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:22 PM

I'm thinking about a Kimber Montana, 5 lbs 5 oz in .308 Win. With a lighter Leupold scope I can probably shave almost 4 lbs off my now almost 10 lbs Tikka M65 in .300WM with a Schmidt&Bender scope and EAW mounts... OK, 3 1/2 lbs.... that's a chunck of weight... at only about $350 per lb lost! ;-)

Of course then I'd no longer be carrying a .300WM.... same gun in .300WM weighs 6 lbs 13 oz, plus scope/mounts. Should I go .300WSM for 6lbs 3 oz?

Decisions, decesions.... I kinda like the idea of a .325WSM too... today... ask me tomorrow, and I may have a different opinion. ;-)

Frans
Old 02-05-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
I'm thinking about a Kimber Montana, 5 lbs 5 oz in .308 Win. With a lighter Leupold scope I can probably shave almost 4 lbs off my now almost 10 lbs Tikka M65 in .300WM with a Schmidt&Bender scope and EAW mounts... OK, 3 1/2 lbs.... that's a chunck of weight... at only about $350 per lb lost! ;-)

Of course then I'd no longer be carrying a .300WM.... same gun in .300WM weighs 6 lbs 13 oz, plus scope/mounts. Should I go .300WSM for 6lbs 3 oz?

Decisions, decesions.... I kinda like the idea of a .325WSM too... today... ask me tomorrow, and I may have a different opinion. ;-)

Frans
I will really suck when your at the top of a mountain and that Kimber fails you...the Tikka won't seem so bad then.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:29 PM

Maybe your looking at the weights and measures issues the wrong way.
Shed naother 10 pounds, and spend a few more hours on your cardio, before thinking about shedding a pound on your rifle.

There are also easier ways of shaving pounds on a pack trip.

Look at your sling, scope, mounts, and amount of ammuntioin your carrying.

How abought your boots, how abought the latest and greatest outdoor wonder gaunch, and socks. Etc. Etc.

The rifle should be the last thing you think about shedding a pound over.

Look at all the small ticket easy to fix up or shorten items, bet you can shave about 5 pounds without investing $100 extra.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-05-2008, 12:29 PM

i have an ultralite weatherby and i would highly recommend it (or any) liteweight for any hunt situation any day.
a heavy gun is just that...heavy.

if you really want to save weight in a packhunt, taking 20 of the waist is better than 2 off the gun.

id sell any or all the 'dust collectors' in the gunsafe to get a lighter gun any day of the week

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 02-05-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
I will really suck when your at the top of a mountain and that Kimber fails you...the Tikka won't seem so bad then.
Yes.... that goes for any brand... is there something you are trying to warn me for?

Frans
Old 02-05-2008, 01:14 PM

Amazing what a pound will do, after about day 4 or five I always wish my rifle was a pound lighter!!!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
Yes.... that goes for any brand... is there something you are trying to warn me for?

Frans
Kimber is known for their QC short comings and I have experienced that first hand...don't want to see anyone else have a "kimber" experience when it could have been prevented.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I cut my toothbrush too.....all the weight and size count.....

Hardest thing for me to find is an after-shave bottle thats small enough to pack up the mountain.....hahah....jk
Toothbrush....... whats that?

I dissagree with most of these guys. A light wieght gun is worth a bit of money. Youll find yourself going into the mountains more because of it and will probably use it on other hunts as well. Just remember there not the same as a full size rifle. They heat up fast and kick a lot harder.......
Old 02-05-2008, 02:54 PM

Just a quick question about the mountain rifle......

I have heard of a deer rifle, and elk rifle, a sheep rifle, a moose rifle, a waterfowl gun etc.....

Why the heck would you want to shoot a mountain? You guys a way to tough for me... if you can drag a mountain out!....

Sorry!... just couldn't resist!.....
Old 02-05-2008, 03:01 PM

Srubs,

get a weatherby ultra light weight in 270wby and light weight rings and scope and youll be set for every thing. You can get rid of that Remington to help pay for it. With these new Solid lead free bullets you can kill everything with that gun.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Banned

Default Every ounce counts

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Shrubs

Wbyfireman, that would have been my next question. What are the differences between a full size and lightweight other than the weight alone? Will a full size last longer and be more reliable?

Thanks for the replies btw.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:43 PM

if I may take a swing,
ultralite vs standard
the bbls are usually shorter in OAL, so velocity will suffer.
the barrels are possibly fluted.
often exotic metals/compounds/polymers are used. titanium and aluminum replace carbon steel. polymers and carbon fiber replace wood or composite..
barrels are designed to have the the least possible safe amount of thickness
the bolt knobs are drilled out or pruned of excess metal,
stocks are hollowed out (great for emergency, 2 bullets, water sterilzer pills, waterproof matches, compass etc) and 'undersized' to reduce mass, also the forends could be shortened.
most of these designs are impervious to climatic changes
skelotonizing, hollowed out or simply eliminated is the order of the day.

will it last as long???
of course it will, a five shot minigun burst at a ram going 9-0 up and over a ridge wont wear it out if you do that every 12 years
blasting 20 rounds in twenty minutes at the range might!! same as any rifle
psst, i would agree with wbyfireman word for word

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 02-05-2008, 06:59 PM

Sorry I didnt use the right words there. When I say light wieght I mean a rifle with a fluted barrel, drilled bolt, light weight stock, ect. Something that weights a pound or so lighter then the regular model. example the wby ultra light weight. Being a lighter weight barrel it will heat up faster then a non fluted barrel. Only affecting accuracy after say 5 or 6 quick shots.

As for more reliable.... I think that comes from the brand you buy and how you look after it. Any rifle can be reliable if you look after it. When at the range a fluted barrel will heat up quicker so if you dont take your time sighting in you could possibly burn out the barrel fast then a non fluted barrel. And this could be a range of 1000 to 5000 rounds throught the barrel. Theres a lot of variables. Most guys will never shoot out a barrel in their life time.

If I was in your shoes i would go some where in the middle from a kimber and your rifle. Find a caliber your happy with that will do everything for you. If its a 270, 280, 7mm, 30-06, 300, ect. And buy a light wieght version of the brand you like. Why have a moose rifle, a sheep gun and a deer gun??? Have one gun that you can get comfortable with, something you shoot well and can change bullets for what your hunting.

I spent 4 years guiding in northern BC. All our hunts were backpack hunts and a "lighter" gun was noticeable. There was more then one hunt that I had to carry the clients rifle and noticed the extra pound or two there rifle weighed compaired to mine.

But just remember opinions are like............... you know the rest.

sorry for the bad spelling and the rant!!! haha Make sure you let us know what you decide

Last edited by wbyfireman; 02-05-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintaka View Post
....the average sheep hunter kills a ram every twelve years.....

Sorry but what????? Remind me not to hunt sheep with you. once evey 12 years??? These guys you speak of arent sheep hunters.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:29 PM
jrs

I simply like carrying a bit lighter rifle in the mountains as it hangs around my shoulder for 10-12 hours a day and a 10lb plus gun gets noticeably heavy. I used to carry an old 30-06 with steel but plate and it felt heavy after 5-10 kilometres. I didn't go with a crazy super light gun (i have a factory tikka T3) but i still like it better than the old Springfield. Maybe not a big deal for everyone but my shoulder is easily agitated after so many past injuries (hockey lead to a few dislocations). Just my two cents, not sure if I'd go for it with the situation you explain, lean towards a better quality pack, it can make an extra 10 lbs a lot less noticeable after a few days of hiking. Another good idea is a nice wide sling, i was too cheap up until last year but it was worth it.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Gone Hunting

I cut the tags off all clothing items for these high country hunts...Spending the cash to shave even afew ounces off any gear item is well worth the consideration, if its affordable. I dumped a bunch of weight off my 695 tikka, costly but worth it. If you know what its like to hunt bald prairie with an overweight varmint rig while calling dogs, you definately stand to gain when hunting elevation.

keep a strain on er.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 05:45 AM.