Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think most of you guys sould take a pill and go see Jason at WSS Edmonton
P&D is awesome and i go there often. If i do find myself at WSS, Jason is my go to guy.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:03 PM

Default LeRoy

I had been phoning several companies to see if any handled TC Pro Hunters. Wholesale who supposedly carries them can't get them. The fella I talked with said it was because the US Gov won't let them across the border. I think he is wrong on that point. Finally after talking to a SIR rep I ordered a backorder. The reason--he does not know how many there are going to receive because TC is not a big production company like say Remington. They tend to supply the US first then the rest of us. If I wanted one I should put my name on the list. I hope that makes better sense. I can hardly wait, how long, I don't know. Now my son is interested. He will have to wait I guess. BEL
Old 01-31-2008, 09:10 PM

Default One more thing

I forgot to say one more thing. Some of the companies I phoned have never carried them. One said he would get a quote for me. Never returned my second call. According to the TC website Wholesale is listed as the only retailer in Alta and yet they can't get them. I tend to shop locally as much as I can because of the service but sometimes it makes more sense to shop elsewhere. BEL
Old 01-31-2008, 10:27 PM

Sorry BEL....

shoulda kept to myself. I must have missed something in your original post.

LeRoy
Old 01-31-2008, 10:52 PM

BEL, Come into Red Deer, backcountry is carrying TC. They have encore stuff on display, but if they are bringing it in, i am sure they could order you a ProHunter.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 PM

Default No problem

No problem LeRoy, I wasn't offended or anything. 220, I talked to a fella who said they were $1000 at Backcountry. I'm not even sure they have them because I was in there just before Xmas looking at guns and I didn't see any. Have you seen them there? BEL
Old 02-01-2008, 06:29 PM

Default Kevin at WSS

Have you guys ever been to WSS Edmonton and talked to Kevin..He works at the gun counter and he is such a good guy..
He has helped me out so many times and juct want to say thanks....Keep up the good work kevin..

Last edited by tikkat69; 02-04-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:36 PM

I've only learned one thing from this thread. One needs to know who the gun dealer is buying from. It is pointless dealing with a dealer who has higher raw costs. If Phil is still following this thread, I have one bit of advice. This is the internet age. If you don't improve your website, you will not be in business 5 years from now.

Ron
Old 02-01-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AKA View Post
I've only learned one thing from this thread. One needs to know who the gun dealer is buying from. It is pointless dealing with a dealer who has higher raw costs. If Phil is still following this thread, I have one bit of advice. This is the internet age. If you don't improve your website, you will not be in business 5 years from now.

Ron
While more info is never a bad thing, I find their Firearm page the best out there. Everything is listed in order of caliber, LH are clearly marked and you know if it's on that page it's 99% most likely in stock. I personally go to the manufacturer website for pictures and info, and the store website for price and availability. P&D does the best job out there for my criteria
Old 02-01-2008, 07:52 PM

I agree. Phils gun pages are second to none and the weekly updates are great. I would however like to see the scpes page set up like this as well as ammo. Maybe not as many updates but some prices and stock.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealj View Post
While more info is never a bad thing, I find their Firearm page the best out there. Everything is listed in order of caliber, LH are clearly marked and you know if it's on that page it's 99% most likely in stock. I personally go to the manufacturer website for pictures and info, and the store website for price and availability. P&D does the best job out there for my criteria
I have been dealing with SIR for over 45 years (I'm from from Manitoba), and while they are trying to keep up with the times their website is not great either. I suspect Cabelas will force some improvements, although their website is not the best.

From what is out there that I've seen, I think MidwayUSA sets the standard. For most products they have a specification hotlink that gives you the details you will not even find at the mfg site.

http://www.midwayusa.com/

Too bad that even with our strong Cdn$, the leaches that handle our "free trade" customs and shipping, make it very costly still to buy in the US.

Ron
Old 02-02-2008, 02:11 AM

Default Improvements?

Quote:

Ron
What is it you'd like improved on our web site Ron? The time and energy needed to have all of the inventory in the store on the website just isn't worth it for any single outlet family run business.
If people need to know that we inventory the best selection of powders in Alberta we'd be happy to tell you that. There is a contact us you can use to ask any question you like. Very few web sites are updated once a week with exact gun inventories, surely you must like that about our site? FS
Old 02-02-2008, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkat69 View Post
Have you guys ever been to WSS Edmonton and talked to Kevin..He works at the gun counter and he is such a loser..
I ask him to sell me a marlin in 30-30 and all he whated me to buy was a Savage 110 with a Junk scope...What kind of lop of crap is this guy?
I hate him ..
Sorry is you are mad at me but i dont care..

Go see Jason he is a cool dude and loves 30-30's
maybe kevin knows that most people buy a 30-30 when they first start hunting and over 80 percent come back the following year to "upgrade"
i like 30-30s as well and have a large collection of leaver actions..
iv worked in the trade fo 30 year and most of the time when a "newby" want to buy a 30-30 i try totalk to him to make sure its what he want and that he will be happy for year with it ..
the savage u are talking about are great gun and yes the scopes suck but for the pice u can pick up a good scope for 100 to 150 and your set ..it not like the guy tried to sell u a weatherby besides hes a salesman what else is he supose to do
Old 02-02-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:

Ron
I've learnt much about Ron over the last day or two.
That being that he is a better typer than he is a sniper.

All I see from Cut Pate Ronny is just that, he is impressed with flashy websites, and can cut paste tables and links. Yet when called upon to show that he has any knowledge past the internet, he dummies right up. Until you come up with some sort of proof of your so called experience Ron, your just another internet hero.

back to the interest in P&D.

I have shopped at this store for many years, and have known Phil and Diane for a wee bit longer.
They have run their store as I feel a gun shop should be run, with friendly folks behind the counter, and focusing upon customer service along the way. I have noted new faces coming and going, yet if asked a question they do not know the answer to, the simply say so, and seek the advice from others more knowledgable.
Phil and Diane are also human beings and I have also noted on a few occasions where they obviously are dealing with several issues at the same time, and often conversations are shorter, and maybe not so flowery, but never are they rude, just pre occupied, and I can accept that.
Phil and Diane are off to the Shot Show, so I suppose Phil will be absent from our midsts, for a week or so, But I will still frequent their shop when I'm in town, and I know I will share a few good words with their staff while in there.

I also stuck my head into WSS yesterday, and will admit their are many newer faces behind the gun counbter, and the attitude put forth from those behind the counter was better than I last remembered, so perhaps WSS has turned the corner, and is begining the long road back into establishing customer service.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-02-2008, 07:25 AM

Another not so well known but VERY busy shop is D. Henry Gunmakers in Bentley.

David has always taken the time out ofn his busy day to talk to me on the phone, and from the business dealings we've had I count him with Pud, P&D, Paul Reibin, Peter dobson, and a few others as super people and honest dealers.

David Specializes in gunsmithing, but does have guns for sale.
I have seen and shot his work, and it is top notch stuff.
peter dobson of Hirsch precision is an old school businessman, as id Paul Reibin.
Anybody who has done business with these two will know what I mean.
Simply super people to deal with, all of them.....
Cat
Old 02-02-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Another not so well known but VERY busy shop is D. Henry Gunmakers in Bentley.

David has always taken the time out ofn his busy day to talk to me on the phone, and from the business dealings we've had I count him with Pud, P&D, Paul Reibin, Peter dobson, and a few others as super people and honest dealers.

David Specializes in gunsmithing, but does have guns for sale.
I have seen and shot his work, and it is top notch stuff.
peter dobson of Hirsch precision is an old school businessman, as id Paul Reibin.
Anybody who has done business with these two will know what I mean.
Simply super people to deal with, all of them.....
Cat
From a third party source, apparently Dave Henry will be closing the retail side of his business, and only opening the doors upon appointment, so he can better concentrate on the gunsmithing back log.
Cant fault his desire to be able to take in work and get to it within a reasonable time frame.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-02-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I've learnt much about Ron over the last day or two.
That being that he is a better typer than he is a sniper.

All I see from Cut Pate Ronny is just that, he is impressed with flashy websites, and can cut paste tables and links. Yet when called upon to show that he has any knowledge past the internet, he dummies right up. Until you come up with some sort of proof of your so called experience Ron, your just another internet hero.
X2 on that!
Old 02-02-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
What is it you'd like improved on our web site Ron? The time and energy needed to have all of the inventory in the store on the website just isn't worth it for any single outlet family run business.
If people need to know that we inventory the best selection of powders in Alberta we'd be happy to tell you that. There is a contact us you can use to ask any question you like. Very few web sites are updated once a week with exact gun inventories, surely you must like that about our site? FS
If you wish to remain as a small family run business, where all your customers are walk ins, then the website is fine. I just question whether one can survive with that business model. Your street used to have 3 gunshops on it, and now it is down to one.

Ron
Old 02-02-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
If you wish to remain as a small family run business, where all your customers are walk ins, then the website is fine. I just question whether one can survive with that business model. Your street used to have 3 gunshops on it, and now it is down to one.

Ron
I would put money down that it wasn't the lack of internet website info that closed those shops down.
It is very hard to compete with big chain style stores.
The only websites I really look at much are tradeex and Ellwood Epss.
Usually I jus the phone the dealer up and ask if they have it.

I don'r use the internet as much as some would think, in fact this and one other forum are the only ones I frequent.
Most of the email I get is useless crap, and half the time my computer is crashed, so I don not rely on it.

I think they will do just fine with super web sites, in fact a fwew of the bulders I know, one a very busy barrel smith, and sevral gunsmiths do not even have computers!!
Cat
Old 02-03-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkat69 View Post
Have you guys ever been to WSS Edmonton and talked to Kevin..He works at the gun counter and he is such a loser..
I ask him to sell me a marlin in 30-30 and all he whated me to buy was a Savage 110 with a Junk scope...What kind of lop of crap is this guy?
I hate him ..
Sorry is you are mad at me but i dont care..

Go see Jason he is a cool dude and loves 30-30's
Which one is Kevin? I only ever graced that place once and had to deal with this BS'er named Pat. Full of more sh*t than a septic tank. He spent more time talkin about some stupid whiskey buck to his buddies than dealing with me or the other customers. Never again
Old 02-03-2008, 10:43 PM

Default Kevin The_Cruiser...Welcome to AO

Nice to see you put your picture up Kevin..LOL..Thats your good side...Tard
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cruiser View Post
Which one is Kevin? I only ever graced that place once and had to deal with this BS'er named Pat. Full of more sh*t than a septic tank. He spent more time talkin about some stupid whiskey buck to his buddies than dealing with me or the other customers. Never again
Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 PM

Eh.. sorry, I had to register just to reply to this thread. I've lived in Edmonton all my life and have dealt with each firearm dealer in the city at least once.. and comparing P & D to WSS is laughable at best.

Prime example.. went into WSS three weeks ago looking for 3 items I needed.. a gun boot mount, rubber finger grip rifle holder for my new quad and .22 cal brass cleaning brushes.. They had LOTS of gun boots, but ZERO gun boot mounts.. what good is that? Rubber finger grip holders, empty shelf where they hang (come on, regular hunting season has been over for how long now?).. and .22 cal brushes.. wow, they were out of stock of most brushes, including .22 cal..

Yeah see, I've gone to WSS too many times only to find 9 times out of 10 that they didn't have stock of what I needed. I'm sorry, I pray for the day that Russell Sports comes to Edmonton and shows them how to do it. In the mean time, I'll continue to support Phil and P & D.. I've never been disappointed shopping there.

</end rant>
Old 02-05-2008, 10:05 PM

Umm Teddy you do know that Russell's and Wholesale are the same company right?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:21 PM

Default Same company

Its true that Russells has been purchased by Wholesale sports. But to say that they are the same company is not true. The offer a far higher standard of service than their parent company, they still make all of their purchasing decisions independently. FS
Old 02-05-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGSP View Post
Umm Teddy you do know that Russell's and Wholesale are the same company right?
Your joking, right?

I know Wholesale Sports has a store in Calgary as well, never been there.. Russell's is nothing like Wholesale here. Is this a recent acquisition? I've had conversations with various staff at Russells about how I they were leaps and bounds above Wholesale, and they've told me they get that alot.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:36 PM

Default russells

it happened a few months ago but the best thing is russells still ships mail order to Edmonton and WSS does not .Its lame but russells usually has what i need in stock.just mail order or phone them ..
Old 02-05-2008, 11:37 PM

I have purchased guns and ammo from every shop in Edmonton over the years.
Being a previous business owner myself i always try to support the little guy over the bigger shops.But when it comes to P & D YES i find their prices a bit higher than other places BUT if i don't have time to go visit all the gun shops in town i go to P & D because the chances of them having in stock what i want are VERY good. And as far as Diane being not so sociable, hey nobody's perfect!
I have bad days too. I know that when i bought my Tikka from Phil and Diane i had to rush to get there before closing time but they waited for me, they didn't rush me. They even told me that they had plans that evening but the customer came first and insisted i not be in a rush. They wound up taking a wood stock off of a .338 to mount on the .300 win mag as i insisted on having a wood stock. hummed and hawed over rings and then at the last minute wanted a limbsaver recoil pad mounted along with the scope i supplied. service is not just good but TOP NOTCH!!! And if the store isn't busy Phil and Diane will chat you up like no tomorrow. Never have i received service like that at Wholesale.
Keep up the good work Phil and Diane you'll always have business from me.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
No problem LeRoy, I wasn't offended or anything. 220, I talked to a fella who said they were $1000 at Backcountry. I'm not even sure they have them because I was in there just before Xmas looking at guns and I didn't see any. Have you seen them there? BEL
last time i was in there, about 2 weeks ago, i fondled one. They also have the barrels there on the rack across from the counter.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:41 PM

Default WSS Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cruiser View Post
Here is a picture of Pat so you know who not to deal with a WSS. He's back row on the far right. Kevin, unfortunately didn't make it that day for the photo. He is the handsome one who works there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pat's family photo.jpg (54.1 KB, 76 views)
Old 02-13-2008, 08:43 AM

Default SIR vs WSS vs P&D

Checked out a couple of guns at WSS yesterday, and asked if they would meet SIR prices. I was told that no they don't, because SIR is not in Edmonton, and they don't consider them a competitor. Hmmm.

I did pick up a few things there, and would have spent more if they were not out of stock. No CCI Mini-Mags? None at P&D either.

What bugs me about the gun pricing is that I am looking for a Savage made in Canada. Our dollar is now worth the same as the US$, but WSS wants 5% over the US retail price listed by Savage (P&D another 5-10% more on top of that), while SIR at least sells at a 10% discount to the US retail. That compares to the US where the same gun is sold at a 23% discount to retail. Me thinks that it is not just the auto industry that is ripping the Canucks.

I found the scope rings at P&D that I am interested in, but they were 45% more than SIR.

My conclusion is that unless SIR has a stock problem, they get my business. I have been dealing with them for 45 years or so, and in the past the only knock on them was that their prices were too high (compared to good old WW Arcade...). Perhaps US ownership isn't all bad.

Ron
Closed Thread