Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-06-2019, 04:33 PM

Default Barrel Painting Day

Painting several barrels for a black BAT action. Bare steel was bead blasted, degreased with acetone, and painted with rattle can Endura epoxy paint.
Barrels ready for paint in a frame with rods holding them upright so they can be rotated.

Close-up of modeling clay to seal off crown.

First coat.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:45 PM

Every time I paint something in the basement, my G/F loses her mind...!

Let's see the finished product.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:51 AM

How does the endura stick without primer,is it thinned
Old 08-08-2019, 05:12 PM

I purchased my Endura from their shop in Edm. They make the color of your choice and put the paint/resin it in an aerosol rattle can which has fixture on the bottom to release the hardner when you are ready to use. Shelf life is a year but once activated with the hardner, 24 hours is all you have. No thinning required as it is an aerosol spray. Prep for metal requires “roughing” the metal and degreasing. I did some barrels about a year/maybe two ago which I roughed up with sandpaper and it seemed to stick pretty good. It finishes real hard but can be chipped. I touched up the barrels previously done with this batch. Total cost to paint 7 barrels was about $40.00 for the rattle can and $10.00 for a lifetime supply of acetone. The guy at Endura said degreasing only requires soap and water. For this batch of barrels, I had the gunsmith do a bead blast finish when they were chambered.
I think the primary use of the Endura epoxy is to paint metal containers that are exposed to corrosives?
Old 08-09-2019, 02:51 AM

I have sprayed lots of endura,mostly industrial stuff.It is a very durable paint,sandblaster will barely touch it.I have always primed bare metal before painting it.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:10 AM
Banned

Looks good, I have to ask. Why don’t you paint the crown of the barrel?
Old 08-09-2019, 09:24 AM

RZR - I have no idea if it could be an issue, but I thought if a chip came out of the crown, it could affect accuracy. I am probably over-thinking the potential for that to occur. So, when I clean and pass the last oiled patch down the bore, I just put a swipe on the crown.
bubba - I will be sure to check with the Endura folks regarding primer the next time I do any barrels. You are right about it being a tough finish, it cures hard like a rock.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:52 AM

Just curious as to how the adhesion is,I have quite abit of endura kicking around might try it on my next barrel.Have you ever tested it with duct tape.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:43 PM

No, never tried to remove any. On the barrels I previously painted, I had to touch up a bit close to crown as a few flakes came off in that area. Could have been that I touched the area with the modeling clay, but I don’t know. The only other thing I noticed was that the area under the barrel vise got a bit shinny ... after swapping out the barrel.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:20 PM

Bubba - I put some duct tape on one of the “batch one” barrels painted with duracoat ... nothing peeled on removal. Got to say the duct tape does not adhere that well to the duracoat. Is that what you referenced when you asked about testing it with duct tape?
Old 08-10-2019, 04:15 PM

Ya if you use good duct tape and stick it good and tear away quickly and no paint comes with it you have good adhesion