Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-11-2008, 04:02 PM

Default Skeet shooting???

I picked up a new Beretta (over/under) and was wondering what chokes would work for skeet??? The gun came with a F(Full) IM(Improved Modified) M(modified) IC(Improved Cylinder) SK(Skeet).

All chokes are SP chokes to be used for Steel Shot...However the manufactuer doesn't recomend using Steel Shot on the F & IM chokes...has anyone used Steel Shot with these tight chokes before????
Old 02-11-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisb View Post
I picked up a new Beretta (over/under) and was wondering what chokes would work for skeet??? The gun came with a F(Full) IM(Improved Modified) M(modified) IC(Improved Cylinder) SK(Skeet).

All chokes are SP chokes to be used for Steel Shot...However the manufactuer doesn't recomend using Steel Shot on the F & IM chokes...has anyone used Steel Shot with these tight chokes before????
Nominal scope for Skeet, not surprisingly, is Skeet -- just a little more open than IC. Nominal for trap is the IM.

I have a bit of trouble with the manufacturers declaring the evil of steel shot. Seems to me to be just another way to sell more new guns. The test would be to shoot a few rounds out where you can collect the shot wads and see if the steel is actually going through the plastic shot holder sleeve. If it is not, I don't see how the barrel or chokes will know what shot you are using.

Ron
Old 02-11-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisb View Post

Barreta chokes, such as used with my franchi O/U, are marked F/lead and
MOD/lead - F/steel, meaning that the modified lead choke will doule as the full
choke when used with steel.
For your Barreta and skeet shooting, use the IC barrel for your going away bird, and the SKT for your incoming.
If you are going to shoot a lot of skeet, I'd consider getting a set of trulok
extended chokes in skeet diameter , with ports.
They are only $100 a set landed at your door, and come with a choke box and cool hat ( if you like ball caps!)
Here's a pic of what they look like - trulok BTW, is a small jobber shop in georgia that builds chokes for many OEM companies
Cat
Old 02-12-2008, 09:04 AM

Default thanks

Just the advise i was looking for...Thanks
Old 02-12-2008, 09:19 AM

F and IM not recommended for steel? That seems nuts, as those are the chokes you are more likely going to use on those long range goose shots I would think. I'm never going to put any steel through a skeet or IC choke.

I'd better read my berretta manual again. Hadn't noticed I couldn't put steel through my IM.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:50 PM

My manual states that its not recomended to use Steel Shot through the Full & Improved Modified chokes even though the chokes are stamped SP for steel shot...
Old 02-12-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
F and IM not recommended for steel? That seems nuts, as those are the chokes you are more likely going to use on those long range goose shots I would think. I'm never going to put any steel through a skeet or IC choke.

I'd better read my berretta manual again. Hadn't noticed I couldn't put steel through my IM.
Actually , whatt the choke is called is inconsequentil, a
full for steel " choke is likely going to be the same reamed diameter as a "modified lead" which is exactly what my Fanchi ( Barreta) choke says....
Cat
Old 02-12-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

You will get or should get nice tight full choke patterns with steel in a modified choke, heck in some shot sizes I had to use my IC tube to get full choke patterns.
You guys are all hung up in the choke labeling, it means nothing until you actually pattern your shotgun with the loads you will be using, steel shot follows diffrent parameters so get with the new world.
Actually if the choke and the barrell would survive the running of steel through a full choke you'd likely suffer from the phenominom of over choking, and have your patterns suffer, remember steel will not compress as readily as lead and it simply will bounce off each other like a golf ball off a cement sidewalk.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Lightbulb Choke

Choke is deemed to be skeet if at 20 yards......80% plus is in a 30"circle
" " " " " imp cyl 221/2
mod 25
imp mod 27 1/2
full 30
It matters not what the choke says it's what the pattern does, 12 gauge bore dimensions vary from 715-.735 and imp cyl constriction is .005-010,mod .020.imp mod .030,full .040.You can see that a .040 constriction on a .715 bore would give a tighter choke than if it was on a .735 bore.

The length of the forcing cones for lead shooting barrels is shorter than barrels built for steel,which can increase pressure when steel is abruptly forced in an older gun with a tight choke.That's why there is 1/1000 chance of damaging shotgun not choked for steel.

Oktokian I think you got it reversed,it don't matter to me I won't shoot steel out of either of my older o/u's.