Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-10-2008, 09:13 AM

Default powder

Need to buy some more powder so am wondering if anyone has any other place to buy it in calgary other than WSS. Have always bought it there but if can support someone else that is fine by me. Of course price is also an issue.

thanks everyone
HFC
Old 02-10-2008, 09:36 AM

what about russels sporting goods
Old 02-10-2008, 10:12 AM

Pro Line Shooters in Inglewood stock powder and a smattering of reloading components.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinfishincampin View Post
Need to buy some more powder so am wondering if anyone has any other place to buy it in calgary other than WSS. Have always bought it there but if can support someone else that is fine by me. Of course price is also an issue.

thanks everyone
HFC
What kind of owder are you looking for?
shot gun powder can be bought from Will Bilozir
(403) 938 6066

or get some friends to go in on a 21lb. order from Higginson's .
Shiiped to you door CHEAP .
(613) 632 9300
Cat
Old 02-10-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkafan View Post
what about russels sporting goods
Russel Sports is now owned by Wholesale Sports.There used to be a handful of smaller gun shops in Calgary but I think they've all gone under now.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNorther View Post
Russel Sports is now owned by Wholesale Sports.There used to be a handful of smaller gun shops in Calgary but I think they've all gone under now.
Although Russel's is owned by WSS, they are a different company , with different staff and store policies, etc.
Sort of like GM , Cheverolet, Pontiac and Cadillac

Cat
Old 02-10-2008, 03:15 PM

Cat
You are right, Russell's still has the service, You do not need to grab a number to be helped.
Gramps
Old 02-10-2008, 04:05 PM

If hitting Russels, nearly all of the staff are very good, with the exception of the one fellow with the european accent and the shaved head. I've witnessed him offending other customers right out of the store when they had legitimate beginner questions and seemed ready to make a purchase, I personally take him and half the things he says with a couple grains of salt.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 02-10-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:14 PM

Last week I received my first mail order from Russells in Cgy.

Elapsed time from the order being placed - by phone - and order showing up at my Post Office box in BC was under 2 full days. Heavy things and light things, all packaged by someone with brains so no damages. Since the postage was less than they'd figured, the price against my cc was lower by about $20.

Russells mail order dept. is top notch in my books.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:30 PM

Just dont mail order powder, for a pound or two the Haz Mat charges will eat you alive.
Every spring after the income tax refunds flow in we muster up a bunch of the locals and do a great big shipment of powder, primers, bullets, brass, and other reloading stuff from Higginson Powders http://www.higginsonpowders.com/
once you get over 21 pounds of powder the shipping is free, Haz Mat charges are typically $15.00 / shipment, and Andrew will split the Haz Mat charges amungst all who place an order.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-10-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Just dont mail order powder, for a pound or two the Haz Mat charges will eat you alive.
Every spring after the income tax refunds flow in we muster up a bunch of the locals and do a great big shipment of powder, primers, bullets, brass, and other reloading stuff from Higginson Powders http://www.higginsonpowders.com/
once you get over 21 pounds of powder the shipping is free, Haz Mat charges are typically $15.00 / shipment, and Andrew will split the Haz Mat charges amungst all who place an order.
Once a year??!!
We don't have a big enough magazine up here for that!!
Us fellas order about every few months from Tom and Andrew, great company to deal with.
the sell lee stuff as well as hornady as well....
Cat
Old 02-11-2008, 11:16 AM

Is there a group in the Calgary area that orders form higginson powder I have a brother there may be able to help with a few lbs.

Alan.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:01 PM

I'd double check with the Mod's, but likely just post a thread in the Buy Sell asking for fellows to get in on a bulk morder from Higginson.
They pay their own way, just have to sort out where the powder will be shipped to.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-11-2008, 08:00 PM

Default That's funny.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
If hitting Russels, nearly all of the staff are very good, with the exception of the one fellow with the european accent and the shaved head. I've witnessed him offending other customers right out of the store when they had legitimate beginner questions and seemed ready to make a purchase, I personally take him and half the things he says with a couple grains of salt.

I know exactly who you're talking about......... He's easily my favorite @ Russells or any other large store for that matter. Hard to picture him being offensive. He has always bent over backwards for me. Even obliging my 4 and 5 year old boys requests to hold certain rifles, etc. But, hey, hard to predict human beings.........

He's actually one of the most knowledgeable 'gun counter' guys I've met. We've spoken at length about his European upbringing with target shooting clubs in schools and such. Lots of competitive shooting in his background as well.........

Anyways, just found it funny how people clash, or not............