Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-09-2008, 08:57 AM

Default 25-06 Ammo

I will soon be adding the 25-06 to my collection. I want to shoot factory ammo and want to know in your experience what you have found to be the best ammo.

I want a lighter load for varmints like the Federal Premium or Winchester Siver Tip 85 gr and i want the best take down round for larger game. What are the best rounds for accuracy, take down, etc.

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:06 AM

Although i've never run any factory ammo through my 25'06 I will chime in on a general note about bullets, and my observations.
85gr. BT's are extremely violent projectiles, they leave coyotes at ranges from 30 to 400yards, and leave nasty exit wounds at all the ranges I've shot coyotes at, typically in the relm of stick the toe of your boot in the exit wound size.
For big game you need not look any further than the 100gr. Nosler Partition, or the 100gr. TSX bullets. The 115gr, TBBC and Nosler Partition are good bullets as well, just my rifle has too slow of twist to stabilize them(factory made rifles will be ok here)
Just remember that every rifle has quirks unto it's self and some loadings may perform better in my rifle while shooting under par in yours. I cannot determine what your rifle may like, that task falls upon you, to get out and determine the prefrences your rifle exhibits.

Good luck

There are no absolutes
Old 02-09-2008, 03:03 PM

Default 25 ammo

Winchester Supreme and Federal Premium ammo I've found to be consistently good to work with in 115 to 120 grain ballistic tip bullets in most of the 25's I've owned. My H&R Ultra Hunter in 25.06 prefers 100 grain bullets though I shot three deer with it using 120 grain Federal Fusion bullets this past fall. The terminal performance of economy priced Fusion bullets are second to none, though the expected accuracy seemed to be a bit lacking, at least in the H&R. I've got some new Winchester Supreme 110 grains of kill (Accubond) bullets this year in another gun to try out and bonded bullets are tough bullets so it should be interesting. I personally don't like 100 grain quarter incher bullets so the H&R may be on the way out. Whatever you and the gun decide on the 25.06 is usually an easy gun to figure out. I've never handloaded so can't compare the two, but high end factory ammo is the way to go.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
BT's are extremely violent projectiles, they leave coyotes at ranges from 30 to 400yards, and leave nasty exit wounds at all the ranges I've shot coyotes at, typically in the relm of stick the toe of your boot in the exit wound size.
Good luck
LOL, reminds me of a funny story. One of my first Sakos, bought back in the early 90's was a 25-06. Still one of my favorites.
However, I was young then and didn't handload much. I went to Russells and asked about some factory loads suitable for coyotes.
The guy at the counter showed me some federal premium 90 gr hollowpoints they had on sale.
He assured me they would kill the coyotes dead and do little pelt damage as they would blow up inside, killing it instantly and not exit.
Well, he was mostly right. They sure killed instantly, and they blew up inside the coyote but all those pieces still had the energy to exit in a most impressive way.
The first coyote I shot was a juvenile and he dropped at the 125 yd shot. I walked up and he looked good until I turned him over. The hide on the near side was the only thing holding him together as one piece. The far side really wasn't there in any identifiable way.
Not meant as a slam on Russells, I've always enjoyed going there and have had excellent service and advice (except that once! )
Old 02-10-2008, 05:31 AM

I have been using Federal Premium 115 gr. Nosler Partitions in my Browning Stalker for 20 some years. They have proven to be the most accurate of any that I had tried. They are hard on deer and antelope out to 3/350 yds. Coyotes & wolves can be somewhat messy, however.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:50 AM

Just remember that every rifle has quirks unto it's self and some loadings may perform better in my rifle while shooting under par in yours. I cannot determine what your rifle may like, that task falls upon you, to get out and determine the prefrences your rifle exhibits

There are no absolutes
Old 02-10-2008, 10:33 AM

Default 25-06 ammo

I am torn between the Winchester supreme and Federal premium. I looked at the specs on the websites and i am leaning towards Winchester. I know that every gun is different when it comes to liking ammo but what i want to know is who has the better bullets (performance). They both make a 85 gr that will be great for varmints but the confusing part is once you get to the big game ammo. If i wanted to shoot something larger what ammo will do the best job on it? Winchester uses the Ballistic Tip and Federal uses a bunch of different bullets like the Barnes TSX, NP, etc. The strangest thing is both companies make a 110 gr Nosler Accubond and the numbers are identical. I have always liked Federal premium but price wise the Winchester Supreme is a way better deal. What do you guys think?
Old 02-10-2008, 12:53 PM

Default ammo

I always lean toward Winchester Supreme, but that's just because Ive always been a big fan of Winchester guns and their other products. Federal bullets are just as good and they do load ballistic tips as well, but if it makes you feel better go with Winchester. When it comes to deer and antelope you really can't go wrong with either choice in a BT, NP, PEP (if they still make them) or a Barnes product. In my opinion a well placed 115 to 120 grain 25.06 caliber bullet will never let you down. Not to confuse the issue, but Remington's higher priced ammo has never let me down either. It used to be called Extended Range ammunition but not sure what they call it now. I like what velocity/foot pounds charts say about 110 grain Accubonds and expect they will be just as deadly on deer. Price wise nickels are only nickels, it's better to shoot what works and what makes you feel good about your shooting.