Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-26-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisman View Post
I will have to do some reading for sure and get that book. I would like her to range but hopefully not to far. I have hunting with a friends 2 WHP that go out 300 - 400 ydrs and scare things up and then point later as they land after that. I don't think he trained them much. Another friends dog goes out about 50- 100 ydrs, I seem to like that better.
That right there is what you want to avoid. LOL.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:01 PM

Another bit of info, The last I heard there are two chapters of NAVHDA working in Alberta. The training days were very helpful to me and and if you can get your dog through the tests you will have a good hunter on your hands. I can't understate how helpful they were for me.

And if you have the space , get pigeons yes it's a pain , but I found it useful to have homing pigeons .

Also save some duck/goose carcasses or have buddies safe a few for you. Even if all you will do with the dog is upland you will still need them to retrieve from water and ducks float .
Old 08-26-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I will have to do some reading for sure and get that book. I would like her to range but hopefully not to far. I have hunting with a friends 2 WHP that go out 300 - 400 ydrs and scare things up and then point later as they land after that. I don't think he trained them much. Another friends dog goes out about 50- 100 ydrs, I seem to like that better.
Range is up to the dog and the handler. My 5-year-old Britt will tear back and forth across the field, often getting out up to 400 yds; but he'll slam up on point when he catches a scent and will hold until I get there to flush. I'm happy for him to range out, as long as he remembers to work closer when we're out for Blues or Ruffies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Another bit of info, The last I heard there are two chapters of NAVHDA working in Alberta. The training days were very helpful to me and and if you can get your dog through the tests you will have a good hunter on your hands. I can't understate how helpful they were for me.
There are indeed 2 NAVHDA clubs in the province. My membership with one of them has been a HUGE help to my first bird dog and I in terms of techniques learned and the helpfulness of other members. I'll be continuing to work with them to keep the 5-year-old sharp and to train the new pup.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-27-2019, 07:32 AM

Default WWbirds

Good advice.
I have had the conversation and planning on booking something next week with him. Very nice over the phone and offered to teach me with Chuckars and a bird launcher with my pup. I am excited. I just need to nail down a time that works.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:14 AM

NAVHDA is a great resource... information, trainers, birds, other dogs, land access - you can’t beat it..

We just finished up until January but it’s something you should look into!
Old 08-27-2019, 11:17 AM

Just came out. Good Timing maybe?

https://thehuntingdogpodcast.com/epi...e-collars-101/
Old 08-27-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Where dio you send your dog for training and how long was it gone for?
I sent him to Ultimate gun dog. Starting training was anywhere from 2-3 month
Old 08-27-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Good advice.
I have had the conversation and planning on booking something next week with him. Very nice over the phone and offered to teach me with Chuckars and a bird launcher with my pup. I am excited. I just need to nail down a time that works.
Good call right there.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:21 AM

Default Great advise for a pointer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
5 months seems young , the pup is just starting to develop independence. There is a line you need to tread especially with a young pointing dog , you need solid recall but you also need the dog (and yourself) comfortable with being away from you. The danger of over working recall early is you run the risk of hacking your dogs working range down.

Realistically it's easier to fix a dog that runs too big than a dog that does not leave your side.

Are you planning on following any training system.

Also if your new to Versatile dogs I would recommend you read

https://www.amazon.ca/HOW-HELP-DOGS-...gateway&sr=8-1

The basic premise is that in the first year you develop the in born ability of the dog, then after that year you mold it with formal bird dog training.

New dog owners so often want a obedient pup instantly that they forget it takes time and molding in the direction you want him/her to go if you are to maintain a enthusiastic attitude in your pup.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:49 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
I am looking to buy an e collar and I am new to owning a gun dog. So many choices out there right now.
I am thinking that the beeper options is nice to find a dog that is pointing that you may not be able to see.
Most of the place I hunt the visibility is pretty good but I have always been on foot with my partners and we have never had a dog.

I have Wirehaired Pointing Griffon that is 5 months old and strong willed, knows the commands but at times will not come.

Do I really need the most expensive $500 kind? I realize that if the pup is well trained you shouldn't but.

What are hunters using and why?

Best way to check for quality is to strap it on your neck, waddle around a field and every now and then have the wife zap you for last bad behaviours.....the collar that gets you to respond the best is the one she will allow you to buy

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-19-2019, 08:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puphood1 View Post
[/B]
New dog owners so often want a obedient pup instantly that they forget it takes time and molding in the direction you want him/her to go if you are to maintain a enthusiastic attitude in your pup.
Yup....instant results...a sign of today....I say put the time in.....13 years of retrieving from my ol'girl and never got zapped.....just time well spent together...she tires quickly now and just kinda pokes around....the first few years she was a wee crazy but then again we were all once young too....she probably wished I could hit what I was shooting at.....I know the look when she stops and gives me the "come on man" stare!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...