Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Banned

Default No Whitetail For Me..

Got back from up north on Wed afternoon from my whitetail trip and I came home with a tag in my pocket.. Its all good though.. I had a really good hunt. Unfortunately most everyone one was busy working and I ended up hunting by myself for 3 of the 4 days.. Put a few miles on the quad,, a guy had to to get away from the crowds,, sure is getting busy up in that country.. But being born and raised in those woods I know quite a few back and out of the way honey holes that saw little or no traffic. Unfortunately I just missed the rut.. The deer were switched over to their winter mode for the most part and due to the extra traffic they saw over the weekend it pretty muck shut them down or moved them way back into their hiding spots.. Oh I saw a few decent bucks a couple dandy 4 x 4's that would have pushed the tape to the 140 mark but I was on a quest this fall,, big or nothing..

Did lots of walking once I got back into my spots.. Tryed it all grunting/rattling,, the works,, really worked hard at it brought out all the stops but it was all for not. I only brought in 2 smaller bucks the whole time and that was on the second morning after that it was quite. Just caught the few standing in the bush here and there. One night we spent at an exclusive private field watching some deer. There was one nice 4x4 in there with a smaller buck and a few doe's and that buck couldn't of cared less.. All he wanted to do was eat..

But like I said it was awesome to get back in the old stomping grounds for a while,, always brings back the memories for me,, killed a lot of deer over the years in that country.. It is kind of sad to see it get so busy and popular but what can you do,, thats life I guess.. Like I said a guy just has to go farther in,, and that never bothers me..