Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 AM

Default loading larger animals and heavy objects

So many times I read and hear about guys that have trouble loading their game animals and heavier things, such as generators and such, when the problem is quite simple, canadian tire sells a portable 12 volt winch for $100, and princess auto sells pulleys and snatch blocks for under $40. Ive used mine on several ocassions, just to load another hunters , elk or moose, and my own, so I spose what i,m saying is, if you cant afford a quad wth a winch , why not have one of these portable winches , in yer pickem up truck ,
they save alota grief and yer back

2000 lb Multi Purpose Winch

Read all reviews Reg. $99.99
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Old 12-01-2010, 10:52 AM

winch is definetly the way too go i have killed a pile of moose by myself loaded with ease
Old 12-01-2010, 11:35 AM

The winch works well,as well the last couple years I have been using a pully system,tie one ond off at the front of your box,one end off on a tree and idle forward the truck will pull the deer into the truck for you.

This year I used a quad winch and it works very well

Ian
Old 12-01-2010, 12:59 PM

is a quad winch sufficient for a moose , or do i need a larger warn winch ?
Old 12-01-2010, 01:09 PM

I havent done a moose but my winch is rated for 2000 pounds , so it should do a moose. For deer I have being slideing them up some 2 x 6 planks using the winch,it sure saves on a bad back
Old 12-01-2010, 01:22 PM

I have a portable winch. But...

I have a little technique, as I'm sure many of you guys have too, that a guy can hoist a 300 lb quarter by himeslef eaaily up onto a meat hook.

I'll put up a vid later ....lol !
Old 12-01-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
I have a portable winch. But...

I have a little technique, as I'm sure many of you guys have too, that a guy can hoist a 300 lb quarter by himeslef eaaily up onto a meat hook.

I'll put up a vid later ....lol !
My question is where can I get a 300lb quarter?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
My question is where can I get a 300lb quarter?
The farm....lol..

I have hoisted a few big steers and buffalo
Old 12-01-2010, 11:49 PM

Lots of great ideas out there for loading game if a guy looks..I have been meaning to buy a hitch setup for awhile now but just never have..

I dont have any problems hand loading elk or deer and have even done full moose if you can find the right slope lol

Biggest life saver is having a full size rachet strap...
Old 12-02-2010, 07:02 AM
Banned

buddy and i just talked about that last night, i'll be setting one up as i start to look for elk and moose more often in the future and even just for less wrassling of the bucks
Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
is a quad winch sufficient for a moose , or do i need a larger warn winch ?
I loaded mine this year with a 2000 lb winch and no pulleys. Used a piece of half inch plywood for a ramp, without that I'm sure it would be a chore.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:56 AM

A few years ago I was hunting in the Peace region. I noticed a fella in front of me on the cutline pulling a moose with his Kawasaki quad. Upon arriving back at his truck, which was backed up to a hill with tailgate down, he unhooked the moose as close to the back of the truck as he could get it. He hooked his quad winch up to some sort of pulley system in the box and slowly pulled the moose into the box. I should have observed his system more closely. Where to put the quad--he drove it right on top of the loaded moose and left for home. One of the funniest things I've seen. BEL
Old 12-02-2010, 12:35 PM

I have heard and seen that lots before bel, it does look odd though with the atv's riding the animal home eh?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
So many times I read and hear about guys that have trouble loading their game animals and heavier things, such as generators and such, when the problem is quite simple, canadian tire sells a portable 12 volt winch for $100, and princess auto sells pulleys and snatch blocks for under $40. Ive used mine on several ocassions, just to load another hunters , elk or moose, and my own, so I spose what i,m saying is, if you cant afford a quad wth a winch , why not have one of these portable winches , in yer pickem up truck ,
they save alota grief and yer back

2000 lb Multi Purpose Winch

Read all reviews Reg. $99.99
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

hey, they are on sale for 69.99 will giver a try hopefully by the end of jan if the late season tags pan out
Old 12-03-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
hey, they are on sale for 69.99 will giver a try hopefully by the end of jan if the late season tags pan out
the one i have i set up a channal iron post in the front of the box on my toyota huntin truck, that stands up a tad higher than the cab, it winches a moose up into the box no probelems, as well wth deer i lower the tailgate and winch them 1/2 way up, no bending over to dress them out , but a perfect angle to gut them out no bending over , c[l bungie straps 2 hold the legs apart am whaaaLaaa 8 t0 10 minutes the gutting job is all done
best $100 i spent for hunting equipment
Old 12-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Banned

no ramp?

i just finished testing it, i ran a heavy ratchet strap between two front hooks in my box and found some heavy 500 plus lb caribeaners to go right in the holes where the hitch loop would attach to body(short box, want to keep winch as short/close to cab as possible) and i can snap the caribeaners over the ratchet strap nylon, hook it up and go, have not tried my tail gate unhooked to use as a 'ramp' though....that would be nice to not have to throw a ramp in!

had a ryobi tool bag that came with full cordless ryobi set, the whole works fits nicely inside and can ride in the rubbermaid....good call man! i like it for the gutting with bungee leg holding idea! i don't kill the bigger critters very often but plan on chasing them more in future so this will do until next truck where i get the 8' box and keep the quad in it all the time, i will do the pulley trick like the guy mentioned and park on top....i don't think that is funny idea at all! i was thinking of same thing so glad to hear people doing exactly that
Old 12-03-2010, 04:10 PM

I have a winch sitting in the garage.... but haven't come up with a system yet that I think will work.

Some great ideas here.

I tried loading a moose by hooking a pulling to the front tie down anchor on my dad's Chev. As I began running the winch from the quad the anchor began to bend and the moose hadn't really even moved yet. So we stopped that and then got luck and three BIG boys showed up in a truck...5 min later the moose was in the back of the truck.

I would like to come up with some sort of system that I can mount the winch onto something solid that is not permanently attached to the truck. This way I can use it whoever's truck we happen to have at the time...

Any suggestions.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

I once helped a wildlife officer load a poached moose into the box of his truck. He had a winch mounted atop of his headache rack, it worked really well. But my idea is even better, at least to my way of thinking. Hunting with horses means that I have to quarter an animal such as an elk to fit it into the meat bags on the horse. This means no gutting. I simply skin it on site, cut out the front and back quarters, remove the backstraps and take some meat off the neck for stew or trim. To get at the beloved tenderloins, I go in from the spine and around the ribs where it joins. Never getting into stuff that I don't want to eat, like the guts. This makes it a whole lot easier to load pieces into the truck or in the meat bags without a hernia loading an animal.