Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-30-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
It pays to look hard and spend the time if you think you hit him good. My old friend called me the other night and told me his story about his wt buck. He shot it with a 25.06 but there was a spruce tree just in front of the boiler room on the shot. The deer humped up good on the shot but took off. This was before the snow and deep in the bush. He shot at 9am in the morning and found the first drop of blood at 11am. He meticulously followed the almost invisible trail for several more hours and eventually spooked the buck up. After a couple of more glimpes of the fleeing buck he finally got a killing shot at him late in the afternoon. The deer went about a mile he said. The original shot deflected and hit the deer low ripping the deer for about a foot just at the diaphragm. A few guts were hanging out. His efforts to find the buck paid off big time because the buck went 180+. I will get a pic of it and post it up when I can.

Elkaholic, grab your compass and walk that bush in a big grid. You never know if you will stumble on him. He might have lived and got away....you never know .
There's 2 major cutlines in the bush he went in. I'm gonna give those a look when I have time. I walked the field he was in about 7 times. No luck. I did find a splatter of dark fluid by my trail cam, which, was where I saw him last. But we followed it for awhile and it disappeared. I think it's just urine. If he did make it out of the bush to the North or West, I ain't ever gonna get him or find him. Crazy farmer will NOT let me step a foot on his property, even though that's illegal.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 11-30-2010, 10:26 PM

Everyone has or will have taken a bad shot. The second shot discribed should, have realized that you missed the first. No judgement on my part. a shot is the shooters discission. I do however, do not agree with the easy dismissal of a shot and and miss, or a wound, so if I find it latter, by the birds, or my uncle, great, and that is hunting, I got to go help my brother, who killed one. Just a little bit dissapointed in your feelings toward this.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic6 View Post
There's 2 major cutlines in the bush he went in. I'm gonna give those a look when I have time. I walked the field he was in about 7 times. No luck. I did find a splatter of dark fluid by my trail cam, which, was where I saw him last. But we followed it for awhile and it disappeared. I think it's just urine. If he did make it out of the bush to the North or West, I ain't ever gonna get him or find him. Crazy farmer will NOT let me step a foot on his property, even though that's illegal.
You have time right now why are you on the computer take a light and leave the gun at home and go look.

And what is illegal about denying anyone access to the property that they own.

It is not their fault that you wounded an animal and it ran onto their property, they own the land they have the right to tell you no, whether you or anyone else likes it, it is private property.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
You have time right now why are you on the computer take a light and leave the gun at home and go look.

And what is illegal about denying anyone access to the property that they own.

It is not their fault that you wounded an animal and it ran onto their property, they own the land they have the right to tell you no, whether you or anyone else likes it, it is private property.
Pretty sure it says in the regs that they cannot deny you access to retrieve your animal...
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Old 11-30-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure it says in the regs that they cannot deny you access to retrieve your animal...
nope Landowner if he wants to be an Arse can deny access to anyone unless they have a warrant to go get it they are SOL
Old 11-30-2010, 11:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
nope Landowner if he wants to be an Arse can deny access to anyone unless they have a warrant to go get it they are SOL
if the hunter gets the co's involved they will make the land owner give access to the hunter,or the landowner will be interfering with a legal hunt.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:32 PM

I'm just sticking my neck out there, but , Elk, I'm thinking you are a pretty young hunter, wrapped up in killing big whitetail deer. Being you are from highprairrie, which has bagged, killed, or whatever the term is there. It is, easy to, retreive your animal "antlers" after the season has ended. It is no secret that highprarrie, saltlake, etc. has produced 3 or 4 "200" inch deer,Just don't get wrapped up in the book issue. Hunt, because you love to hunt. Respect the animals you hunt. And pass on the respect to your children, and grandchildren.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
I'm just sticking my neck out there, but , Elk, I'm thinking you are a pretty young hunter, wrapped up in killing big whitetail deer. Being you are from highprairrie, which has bagged, killed, or whatever the term is there. It is, easy to, retreive your animal "antlers" after the season has ended. It is no secret that highprarrie, saltlake, etc. has produced 3 or 4 "200" inch deer,Just don't get wrapped up in the book issue. Hunt, because you love to hunt. Respect the animals you hunt. And pass on the respect to your children, and grandchildren.
I'll admit it, I hunt whitetails for the trophy. All of my family does. Just the way I was raised around hunting. Moose and Elk are for the freezer, if they have a big rack, a bonus I'd love I love hunting for the outdoor experience and being in the animals playground. This is a horrible feeling, and hope I never have to experience it again. Just gonna use it as a learning experience. I've already learned some things since last night. Me and a buddy are gonna giver another look, since I have to take down my cams and blinds. So hopefully!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:24 AM

Just a hint young feller, check every trail leaving that field in the area the animal went in. deer or men are alike in one manner, they will take the easiest path. Good luck
Old 12-01-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Pretty sure it says in the regs that they cannot deny you access to retrieve your animal..
If you can find such a regulation,by all means post it for all to see,unfortunately,I doubt that you will find such a regulation.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
if the hunter gets the co's involved they will make the land owner give access to the hunter,or the landowner will be interfering with a legal hunt.
BS

My family has declined hunters from retrieving animals on our land before and the CO's did nothing. The reason we declined was the idiots shot a deer amongst our cattle and we had 500 head of cattle on the land there was no way we were going to have to worry about some idiot not getting his deer when first off he shot it on land he did not have permission and secondly amongst 500 head of cattle.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
BS

My family has declined hunters from retrieving animals on our land before and the CO's did nothing. The reason we declined was the idiots shot a deer amongst our cattle and we had 500 head of cattle on the land there was no way we were going to have to worry about some idiot not getting his deer when first off he shot it on land he did not have permission and secondly amongst 500 head of cattle.
so you allowed the edible meat of a big game animal to spoil? By not allowing hunters to retreive game is doing just that. If people shot amongst your cows report them for that!! But not allowing legal hunters to retreive an animal that has been legaly shot where the hunter has permision and that has then ran onto your land is wasting edible meat and is a chargable offense and some land owners have been charged with it in our area. Not sure if they were convicted but the charges were layed.
SG
Old 12-02-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
so you allowed the edible meat of a big game animal to spoil? By not allowing hunters to retreive game is doing just that. If people shot amongst your cows report them for that!! But not allowing legal hunters to retreive an animal that has been legaly shot where the hunter has permision and that has then ran onto your land is wasting edible meat and is a chargable offense and some land owners have been charged with it in our area. Not sure if they were convicted but the charges were layed.
SG
No I did not allow edible meat to be wasted, the CO's took and charged the people with hunting from the road, hunting with out permission, and shooting on an occupied quarter since my house was 350 yards north of where they shot the deer. They did not legally have permission to shoot on the land, my land is posted with NO Hunting on almost every gateway. From what I was told a single mother in a small town ended up getting some free meat after it was all said and done.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:37 AM

Default I'm not sure I get all this...

So piecing together from your posts, you think you missed your first shot, are fairly sure you connected on a second standing shot and are not sure on the third running shot. You mentioned that you hate blacking out when shooting (not too sure what you mean by "blacking out"). You went into the bush for an hour in darkness right after the shooting but found nothing then the next day (sometime after the morning because your help was not available) you went back and found some yellowish liquid near a trailcam. After that you went back the following day and found nothing more. You mention you walked the field like 7 times and you will check the 2 major cutlines and your uncle will keep an eye out over winter - let me know if I have missed anything.

If your deer survived to the 2nd day he will get to see his next birthday. I agree that high shots can leave a poor blood trail but for me your effort seems weak. Not too sure why you gave up after an hour the first night, not too sure why you were not out looking at next sunrise (unless for some reason you need your relative to help look). I have had cases where a weak blood trail turns into a bloodbath with a dead deer at the end of it; following the trail periodically or when you have some free time (as your thread indicates) will probably not result in a recovered an edible animal.

Whenver I have to leave a wounded animal, I flag where I was standing, where he was standing when I fired and where he entered the bush with seismic tape. Any sign (blood, **** etc.) gets flagged as well as it makes it easy to pick out direction of travel; picking up a trail is tough when you only have your memory to rely on. It's fairly rare to spend less than 3-4 hrs when tracking at night and an entire day when tracking in daylight. A blood trail can change a lot in a day so I don't see the advantage of a slow or intermittant pace.

Just my $0.02
Zeke
Old 12-02-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
So piecing together from your posts, you think you missed your first shot, are fairly sure you connected on a second standing shot and are not sure on the third running shot. You mentioned that you hate blacking out when shooting (not too sure what you mean by "blacking out"). You went into the bush for an hour in darkness right after the shooting but found nothing then the next day (sometime after the morning because your help was not available) you went back and found some yellowish liquid near a trailcam. After that you went back the following day and found nothing more. You mention you walked the field like 7 times and you will check the 2 major cutlines and your uncle will keep an eye out over winter - let me know if I have missed anything.

If your deer survived to the 2nd day he will get to see his next birthday. I agree that high shots can leave a poor blood trail but for me your effort seems weak. Not too sure why you gave up after an hour the first night, not too sure why you were not out looking at next sunrise (unless for some reason you need your relative to help look). I have had cases where a weak blood trail turns into a bloodbath with a dead deer at the end of it; following the trail periodically or when you have some free time (as your thread indicates) will probably not result in a recovered an edible animal.

Whenver I have to leave a wounded animal, I flag where I was standing, where he was standing when I fired and where he entered the bush with seismic tape. Any sign (blood, **** etc.) gets flagged as well as it makes it easy to pick out direction of travel; picking up a trail is tough when you only have your memory to rely on. It's fairly rare to spend less than 3-4 hrs when tracking at night and an entire day when tracking in daylight. A blood trail can change a lot in a day so I don't see the advantage of a slow or intermittant pace.

Just my $0.02
Zeke
There was no blood trail... Only sign was dark yellow liquid where my second shot hit him. Then by my trail cam I found splatter of yellow liquid, which I think is urine. Say what you guys want. I didn't put in a poor effort. I put in alot of effort trying to find a piece of blood, or anything to identify a hit. I would of been out there all day Tuesday if I found blood. But not knowing where he went in at, and no blood, and hundreds of deer tracks go every which way, kinda hard to stay on his foot trail. I honestly think he is still alive. If he died, over that night, there would of been tons of coyotes, crows, and magpies surrounding the area. But there wasn't.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you put in a lot of effort....
Old 12-02-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Shot at a buck tonight. First shot I think missed as he or all his 8 or so does didn't run too far, he was looking at me so I gave him another one right through the brisket, he looked like he did a flip, so he was running now, slower then most of the does, I shoot again, not sure about this shot, then again on the run which i think i may have grabbed the guts. Looked for a good hour (in the dark) and couldn't find a speck of gut fluid or blood... Go back out in the morning and look... Looking pretty doubtful tho...
Yup, pretty doubtful after a good hour of looking....
Old 12-02-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
Sounds like you put in a lot of effort....
Meh whatever.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
It's a given the coyotes or wolves will get to him before me. It's thick with em. Hope he is dead and deal with the rest later..
Sounds to me that you gave up pretty quickly,..."it's doubtful I'll find him" after an hour of looking ...

"Coyotes or wolves will get him before me..."

....give up and you can guarantee it...
Old 12-02-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
My cousin that was gonna help me look this morning, shot his buck this morning so he had to deal with it, now he has to do some things around town. Don't worry, I'm going to go find him.

Who cares what he has to do, you have something to do toooo...right?
Old 12-03-2010, 02:37 AM

Default I have to give you one thing

You are consistent. Your effort:

Quote:
i may have grabbed the guts. Looked for a good hour (in the dark)
Matches perfectly with your attitude:

Meh whatever.

Most certainly the wolves and coyotes will get your deer...they try harder.

It's a pity that deer didn't fall into a pile of wrapped steaks when you pulled the trigger (I think this happens in cartoons). Perhaps a "hunting" trip to the local butcher shop is a good idea for next year.

Don't bust a fingernail in the effort.
Zeke
Old 12-03-2010, 06:22 AM
Gone Hunting

Can we all stop bitching about his tracking job? Some people can make the littlest things such a big deal. Loosing a deer must suck (hasn't happened to me yet with a deer), but by now the deers either alive or eaten by something else so who really gives a sweet flying ****. JMO.

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 12-03-2010, 07:28 AM

It was a **** poor effort and your who gives **** attitude tells me you young guys got a lot of growing up to do. I hope you both change your thoughts on what's expected of you after you make the shot.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:09 AM

Unless you were holding his hand, surpervising the tracking job, I suggest you keep your opinions on the tracking job to your self. There is alot of speculation here, and once again you guys have brought out the pitchforks and torches.

I am sure many of you guys have been certain on a hit only to find out after looking for an hour or so that you missed. I have. Not on big game, but coyotes have played that trick on me.

If you know your area, have fresh snow, and know the general direction of a deer's travel, you should be able to find some sort of hit indication within the first hour. If no magpies or coyotes on day 2, chances of a dead deer are even slimmer.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:04 AM

There is alot of speculation here, and once again you guys have brought out the pitchforks and torches.

X 2 - lets leave the guy alone. This is getting stupid. He shot at a deer. Couldn't find it, or any sign of it.

Drop it.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:23 AM

He says he is sure he hit the deer....
Also says it flipped in the air from being hit.

Goes on to say that he looked in the dark for blood for an hour and then called it off, it was dark. Fair enough.

Next Morning, rather than looking for the possibly wounded deer, he is on this forum and was off helping a friend with his deer, and in running some errands in town and stuff...that's waht I didn't like the most....but I'm just a guy on the interwebs with an oppinion, and that oppinion was that before you do anything next morning, take an hour and get out there and put in a good effort.

That is all...