Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-29-2010, 07:04 PM

Default It does happen to the best of us.....

Shot at a buck tonight. First shot I think missed as he or all his 8 or so does didn't run too far, he was looking at me so I gave him another one right through the brisket, he looked like he did a flip, so he was running now, slower then most of the does, I shoot again, not sure about this shot, then again on the run which i think i may have grabbed the guts. Looked for a good hour (in the dark) and couldn't find a speck of gut fluid or blood... Go back out in the morning and look... Looking pretty doubtful tho...
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 11-29-2010, 07:07 PM

Good luck!!! Hope you find him and the cyotes dont eat him up!!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Staring at my Rack View Post
Good luck!!! Hope you find him and the cyotes dont eat him up!!
It's a given the coyotes or wolves will get to him before me. It's thick with em. Hope he is dead and deal with the rest later..
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Old 11-29-2010, 07:12 PM

sounds like he should be dead....wait until the sun comes up and follow the birds!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Gone Hunting

It happens.

Lets hope you find him, in any event. The not knowing what became of him can be worse then a total miss. A lot worse.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:20 PM

Buddy told me that it usually takes longer for a blood trail with a chest shot because the chest has to fill up with blood to the hole.. Makes sense. Hope this is the case...
Old 11-29-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic6 View Post
It's a given the coyotes or wolves will get to him before me. It's thick with em. Hope he is dead and deal with the rest later..
Well hopefully they leave you the antlers.....
Old 11-29-2010, 09:08 PM

I shot my buck on saturday, I put one in his chest but there was no blood trail, Luckily he was in the middle of the field. It sounds as if he's down, Best of luck finding him!!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:14 PM

Grab a coleman latern and head out tonight if you can. The wind could blow in his tracks and then it will be harder to follow. Also any blood on the snow could get covered and you would only have the trees and high grass to look on. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 PM

That sucks, but sometimes them darn deer are to tough for they're own good.

Hope you find him.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:35 PM

i know the feelin, my moose ran like 200 yards down this cutline before he bedded down and a shot in the head finally stopped him.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:34 PM

X2 on the lantern, get out there and look, phone up a couple friends and go look ! can't hurt if your worried about the scavengers getting it !
Old 11-29-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOutdoorsmen19 View Post
I shot my buck on saturday, I put one in his chest but there was no blood trail, Luckily he was in the middle of the field. It sounds as if he's down, Best of luck finding him!!
Exactly what happened with my buck this year, the shot was too high, and there was NO blood AT ALL to follow. Luckily there was lots of snow to follow his wobbly tracks.

Good luck, Elk, I do hope you find him, but your right that the wild dogs will get him first.

Was he a decent buck? ( probably, if he had 8 girlfriends..... )
Old 11-29-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoors forever View Post
Exactly what happened with my buck this year, the shot was too high, and there was NO blood AT ALL to follow. Luckily there was lots of snow to follow his wobbly tracks.

Good luck, Elk, I do hope you find him, but your right that the wild dogs will get him first.

Was he a decent buck? ( probably, if he had 8 girlfriends..... )
I think he was anyways haha. Wide with tall g2's and g3's. We tried following the tracks, but there is just too many tracks..

I hate blacking out when I shoot at something
Old 11-30-2010, 12:03 PM

Why are you on here and not out looking? Its way past morning, go find him.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger15 View Post
Why are you on here and not out looking? Its way past morning, go find him.
My cousin that was gonna help me look this morning, shot his buck this morning so he had to deal with it, now he has to do some things around town. Don't worry, I'm going to go find him.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 PM

Well, no sign. Found dark yellow liquid where he was standing but that's it. Only seen 1 crow and he was circling us. I would be out there right now looking for redemption but, being the useless kid my brother is, he is gonna use my stand(s) and spot to try and fill his tag.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:49 PM

Maybe I'm wrong but , sounds like a poor effort to me.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:02 PM

A poor frontal shot and a winger in the guts arent high percentage....id bet that deer is still alive...sick...but alive

Old 11-30-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
A poor frontal shot and a winger in the guts arent high percentage....id bet that deer is still alive...sick...but alive

That's what I'm guessing.. Atleast my uncle can keep an eye out there all winter to see if anything turns up.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong but , sounds like a poor effort to me.
How do you know are you a ranger or something ? jk
Old 11-30-2010, 06:16 PM

Guts=dead, may take a while but it will die.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Guts=dead, may take a while but it will die.
X2, especially around here, with a bad tummy ache he'll bed down a lot, then the wolves or coyotes will find him. Too bad.

Keep us posted, Elk6, sounds like he might have been a good buck.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:25 PM

Sorry to hear about your deer, sorry to hear the deer is probably been eaten by dogs. I don't know how confident you were in your shot but it seems that alot of guys take a shot that is not clean or ethical. now don't get your panties in a knot, i am not saying your shot was bad it just seems we hear alot about wounded deer or other game for that matter. On another note i have a little question.

Why do guys take neck/head shot instead of boiler room shots where you know it's going to be game over. Or waiting for a clean kill shot? Not knowing if you hit and wounded and animal is not too cool.

I know a guy who tries to take hero neck shots with his 7mm and has wounded 3 moose i know of and a deer this fall. all in the last 2 years. He went to a 375HH cause he didn't like his 7mm???? he's got me baffled

sorry to hijack
Old 11-30-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason crozier View Post
Sorry to hear about your deer, sorry to hear the deer is probably been eaten by dogs. I don't know how confident you were in your shot but it seems that alot of guys take a shot that is not clean or ethical. now don't get your panties in a knot, i am not saying your shot was bad it just seems we hear alot about wounded deer or other game for that matter. On another note i have a little question.

Why do guys take neck/head shot instead of boiler room shots where you know it's going to be game over. Or waiting for a clean kill shot? Not knowing if you hit and wounded and animal is not too cool.

I know a guy who tries to take hero neck shots with his 7mm and has wounded 3 moose i know of and a deer this fall. all in the last 2 years. He went to a 375HH cause he didn't like his 7mm???? he's got me baffled

sorry to hijack
Definitely not the shot I wanted to take, but with the buck fever and not sure about the first shot hitting or missing, I had to do a follow up. I was confident in my follow up through the brisket. But that's hunting..
Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 PM

fair is fair, i am not knit picking just wondering that;s all. I'd have taken a follow up shot as well if i thought i may have connected with the first and he was on the move.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason crozier View Post

sorry to hijack

A poor musician blames his instrument.

You should try to talk him into a different past time.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:44 PM

yes it's kinda disgusting what he's doing to these animals.

he spends the most time at the range of any person i know and claims he can shoot consistant to 600 yards. Why the hell would anyone need to shoot a critter at that distance? I call BS

Last edited by jason crozier; 11-30-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 PM

they can be hard to track got mine with a high lung shot befor the snow no blood trail and no tracks tried to follow were vI thought he went thick bush after 2 hrs thought I'd go back to the truck for a coffe and get help so wen I get to the road I see a wiskijack in the brush 50 yrds or so up the road and there he was I followed the blood trail back and found he went 150 yrds or so befor I could find a drop then it was allover in 50ft if he stayed in the bush he started in he may never have been found got lucky on that one
Old 11-30-2010, 10:03 PM

It pays to look hard and spend the time if you think you hit him good. My old friend called me the other night and told me his story about his wt buck. He shot it with a 25.06 but there was a spruce tree just in front of the boiler room on the shot. The deer humped up good on the shot but took off. This was before the snow and deep in the bush. He shot at 9am in the morning and found the first drop of blood at 11am. He meticulously followed the almost invisible trail for several more hours and eventually spooked the buck up. After a couple of more glimpes of the fleeing buck he finally got a killing shot at him late in the afternoon. The deer went about a mile he said. The original shot deflected and hit the deer low ripping the deer for about a foot just at the diaphragm. A few guts were hanging out. His efforts to find the buck paid off big time because the buck went 180+. I will get a pic of it and post it up when I can.

Elkaholic, grab your compass and walk that bush in a big grid. You never know if you will stumble on him. He might have lived and got away....you never know .