Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-29-2010, 02:37 PM

Default Nice whitetail and a great morning.

Well I finally lined up on a decent buck on saturday morning. Its been a long hard season of chasing nocturnal bucks around, and seeing all their little brothers instead.

I decided friday night that I was going to head out saturday morning for a few hours before my wife and I headed out of town at noon. I hadn't been able to get out since the cold snap or snow had came. I made the choice to go back to a spot I had hunted during archery season on and off and seen some great sign and had one good run in with a bachelor group of bucks.
So as I pulled up to my spot saturday morning there was a 4x4 whitetail silhouetted in the moonlight on the quarter directly north of my spot, I though this was a pretty good sign. I parked in my spot sprayed my boots with doe scent and made a slow meander in to the property. The first corner I came around there was a group of wt does with a small buck (possibly the 4x4 I had seen 10 minutes before) that spooked and bounded a few hills over, it was still about 30 min before legal light at this point so I just carried on. I walked another 75 yds or so and let out a few bleat calls from ridge, not 10 seconds later the king kong muley I have been looking for came sprinting right down the bush line towards me, gave me a quick glance and carried on north away from me obviously on a doe trail. I had no tag but had wished I did. At this point I headed back in to the hills souith of me planning on doe calling and slow walking from point to point, I came over the second hill and this guy was skylined about 250 yds from me. He looked like a good mature buck. I couldnt see the broken point on the left or the broken brow tine either but The more character the better as far as i'm concerned. He had a group of does but was curious to my bleat calls and was trying to figure out what was up. I let him have 130grains of 270wsm right through both lungs and that was the end of it. He took about ten steps and laid down. He was expired by the time I got to him. Luckily the fella who owns the land was around and loaned me his quad for the haul out because this fella had some weight to him and my toboggan was not draggin very nicely in 6 inches of snow. He also loaded him with his bobcat which was quite nice of him as well.
I even made it home with time to spare to dress him out and get the head and cape in the freezer before heading out of town.

My hunting partner was a little disappointed that he decided not to come along for this hunt as it was the first day we had not hunted together all season.

I'm happy with this guy for sure. He's a nice mature buck, not sure what he will score but not overly concerned about it either. It was a good hunt to end a long season. Congratulations to everyone else with their succesfull seasons.

Forgot to mention I dont have the field pics yet, only ones from at home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0109.JPG (127.2 KB, 786 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0113.JPG (57.5 KB, 586 views)

Last edited by tbosch; 11-29-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:51 PM

good work!
Old 11-29-2010, 04:03 PM

Atta boy tbosch.....great looking whitie. You definately put the time in to get a good one......Marco
Old 11-29-2010, 04:06 PM

Any guesses on scores. Maybe a guess as to what he would have been before the broken tines as well? I'm going to have a fella measure him up in the next week or so, just curious as to what others think.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:21 PM

Congratulations on a great buck!!!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 PM

Nothing wrong with that one, congrats!!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:17 PM

Looks like a great buck! Congrats!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:27 PM

nice buck, Sparky!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:30 PM

Congrats!
Old 11-29-2010, 11:16 PM

Nice heavy whitetail, congrats on a good one!
Old 12-03-2010, 12:42 PM

The loins are going on the bbq tonight. Thanks for the congrats and good luck to everyone on their 2011 season. 2010 was another gooder. T-minus 9 months and counting...