Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-24-2010, 05:44 AM

Default Cold Weather Boot

Whats a good cold weather hunting boot?

Something that a guy could still really move in, nothing bulky. A boot that would be designed along the lines of late season hiking. Hopefully you could still drive in them.

What would you guys wear for a November Cadomin hunt, chasing cats, hiking for elk in this weather?

I have to pick a pair ASAP.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:39 AM

try the schnee winter pack boot love mine
Old 11-24-2010, 08:20 AM

Good timing on this thread. Looking forward to the answers cause it sure seems the older I get the less blood my feet receive. I'm wearing my big heavy skwallz but I wouldn't want to climb mountains in them.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:24 AM

i may have an option for you, pm me.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
try the schnee winter pack boot love mine
Check this thread. The ones I mentioned are great. I tried them last weekend for a 2 day bowhunt in the -26 to -14 range. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=74747

I walked 45 minutes into my location and sat for 3 hours ... my feet didn't get cold, however I also had a wicking sock and a wool sock on plus 2 heat packs in each boot.

I also still hunted still them in 18 inches of snow....they worked well.

They aren't heavy and clunky, but warm, which is why I bought them plus I was sick of carrying around 1000 - 2000 grams insulate where most of it is on the upper part of the boot (ankle and above) .... I can't remember my ankle of lower calf ever getting cold????? Those type of boots don't have any insulation (insulate) (or very little) in the toes .... duh?

I walked up some hills and they had great grip. My old boots with 1600 grams insulation always made my knee 'click' the next day (I have a bad knee) ... these ones didn't so they are definetly lighter.

I was worried that snow would come in, but with my 4 layers of bottom on, I just put one layer (3rd one) over the boot and it kept the snow out without any troubles.

They are in stock at Mark's for $160. Replaceable linear as well which is great ... like buying a new boots in a few years for $40.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:07 AM

Default Ek trackers

It Depends alot on the type of hunting you do,
If you plan to walk alot i would look into the Irish Setter Elk Trackers in a 1000gram or 600gram thinsulate,
if you plan on still huntin i would go with the ones mentioned above in the thread,
read some reviews on them and look like a pretty good deal,

just look for goretex no matter what,
i find that goretex even helps with warmth,
goretex being a inner liner will avoid buildup of water on the boot,
when the waterproofing is a spray, the moisture stays on the boot , and then will freeze, body heat wont transfer to your feet as easily then,

Good luck choosing a boot !
Old 11-24-2010, 09:36 AM

Kentrek 13" Northern (pack boot) which are rated to -20F. Best boot I ever had. Also get the hunting gaiters that they sell.

Or the Kentrek Moutain Extreme (they make a non-insulated, 400gram and 1000gram). Would be a great sheep boot and all around hunting boot. I'm looking at getting the 400gram for sheep hunting next year. I tried a pair on last week and they are nice; also light.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Kentrek 13" Northern (pack boot) which are rated to -20F. Best boot I ever had. Also get the hunting gaiters that they sell.

Or the Kentrek Moutain Extreme (they make a non-insulated, 400gram and 1000gram). Would be a great sheep boot and all around hunting boot. I'm looking at getting the 400gram for sheep hunting next year. I tried a pair on last week and they are nice; also light.
Who carries kentreks around Edmonton?
Old 11-24-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Who carries kentreks around Edmonton?
Cheekah Outdoor Wear Ltd in Beaumont. They have a wedsite; price seems high on his boots. Bartons in GP also carries Kentrek with a better price.

http://www.kenetrek.com/canada.asp

Last edited by JohnB; 11-24-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:06 PM

Default x1000 on Elk Trackers

Light, no break in period, and very warm. I am wearing my 600's as I type.

Taken from the aforementioned thread:

I just picked up a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers. Iris Setter is the hunting division of Red Wing boots. Synonymous with quality, I am very pleased with how comfortable they are, and very light for a robust, insulated, water proof boot. They exceed your budget... but I am willing to bet that most folks will go through 2 pairs of $200 boots in the same time that I will wear out these.

In addition, everyday I put these on; I am warm, dry, and confident in my purchase.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:41 PM

Default i like the look of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post

I don't own a pair as I have plenty of perfectly good boots but I looked closely at them at the last trade show I was at and they look like real nice boots. They will be at the top of the list when I need a new pair that's for sure.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:26 PM

I just picked up a pair of Irish Setter's with 2000 grams of insulation the other day. I needed something for the late season rifle hunt at Wainwright. I have been out running the dog in them for the last couple nights in this -25 to -30 weather and they have been awesome.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. After stand hunting for 5 days in this cold weather for 5 days I realized my sheep hunting boots weren't going to cut it for a elk hunt coming up and chasing cats.

I picked up a pair of Irish setter elk tracker 1000's from WSS last night for $310.

The weight was very comparable between the 600's and the 1000's. The 2000's I found a little to bulky for what I was looking for.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:37 PM

Default winter boots

Please let us know how these boots work for you. I think alot of us are in need of better boots, and the more testimonials a person hears, the easier it is to narrow down and decide on a warmer all around quality boot. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:55 AM

I have a pair of new, size 13, 1600 Rating. Anyone interested for $85.00?
Old 11-28-2010, 07:02 AM

Should I start a new thread to ask about Ladies' boots for marching through the snow or can I ask here? (sorry, still a NEWB hehe :-) )
Old 11-28-2010, 07:36 AM

http://www.bogsfootwear.com/_product...EN'S_BLACK

I wear the Bogs. They are great for me. They don't have much for ankle support though, but for coyote hunting in deep snow they've been great. Comfortable and warm.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:06 AM

Was down in the Med Hat area last weekend, on a bald ass praire hunt. It was -25C with wind, and I wore my Danner Canadians all day,and didn't have cold feet! Even sitting watching a coulee for 45 min, they got a little chilly, but nothing serious!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 AM

http://www.elkcountrytradingpost.com...oduct-footwear

if your size matches what they have

Last edited by cowdog; 11-29-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Banned

I wear a pair of Ice Trekkers by Georga Boot. They are Hikers with 2000grm of thinsulate and gore-tex lined. They are the best that Ive found, feet are never cold and have the support(that most pack boots dont have) and comfort you need to climb. Sole is also threaded for picks which comes with the boots. Not sure if they still make them but they are a great boot. Been using mine since 1999.
SG
Old 12-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Had the Elk Tracker 1000's out for a couple treestand sits, a mountain elk hunt and killed to cougars with them.

Fairly good test I'd say, from sitting to running to hiking.

Great boot I would recommend them.