Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 09:36 PM

Default Ice auger suggestions!

On a previous thread, I was asking everyone which ice fishing tent they prefer, as I was interested in purchasing one, I received some real good feedback, and decided to go with the Eskimo 949i, as I will more then likely be sleeping in it, now I am in the market for a ice auger, and curious to hear some feedback on some of the brands. I had a pretty bad experience with Jiffy, and will probably be leaning towards the Eskimo, as their 5 year warranty is attractive! All feedback is welcome and greatly appreciated!
Old 02-01-2017, 09:56 PM

I have the Eskimo z51 8" and it's been great no issues in the 3 years I've had it. I would buy another if this one went missing. I also have the tent you just bought and it great as well, it will serv you well.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:03 PM

Both Jiffy and Eskimo offer 5 year warranty now. Jiffy vs Eskimo is personal preference imo, guys have had good or bad luck with both brands. I have used both and they are both good in my eyes. The propane augers and the ion's are good too.

I prefer a propane or ion if you use a suv/car as your main vehicle. Gas will leak and will make your car stink. I also prefer either of these for drilling inside a tent/shack, a gas motor will smoke you out.

I prefer gas or propane if you do lots of multi day trips or usually drill a ton of holes. Gas if you live up in Fort Mcmurray or north where it is often colder then here.

For propane I like the Jiffy for 8 in holes but the Eskimo for 10 in since it has lower gearing and more torque.

For Eskimo gas augers I prefer at least the 43 cc for 8 in and the 51 cc for 10 in.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:03 AM

Or an ION.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:58 AM

ION all they way... You will never regret it
Old 02-02-2017, 06:07 AM

I have a Strikemaster now. If it ever died (it's 20 years old and still runs strong) I would replace it with an Ion or possibly a K-drill. Lighter, no gas, no fumes, quieter, and less pollution.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-02-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Both Jiffy and Eskimo offer 5 year warranty now. Jiffy vs Eskimo is personal preference imo, guys have had good or bad luck with both brands. I have used both and they are both good in my eyes. The propane augers and the ion's are good too.

I prefer a propane or ion if you use a suv/car as your main vehicle. Gas will leak and will make your car stink. I also prefer either of these for drilling inside a tent/shack, a gas motor will smoke you out.

I prefer gas or propane if you do lots of multi day trips or usually drill a ton of holes. Gas if you live up in Fort Mcmurray or north where it is often colder then here.

For propane I like the Jiffy for 8 in holes but the Eskimo for 10 in since it has lower gearing and more torque.

[B] For Eskimo gas augers I prefer at least the 43 cc for8 [/B]in and the 51 cc for 10 in.

I picked one of these up on sale for $349. I am no expert, but it zips through 24" of ice pretty darn quick. More power is always good, but this one really does get the job done very well.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:

For Eskimo gas augers I prefer at least the 43 cc for 8in and the 51 cc for 10 in.
I picked up one of these 43 cc Eskimos on sale for $349. I am no expert, but it zips through 24" of ice pretty darn quick. More power is always good, but this one really does get the job done very well.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:33 AM

They are pricey to get into, but I Love our Ion! Easy to keep battery from getting too cold with an insulated lunch bag and a hand warmer. Instant on, no fumes, lots of holes. Awesome customer service when the charger had a broken LED out of the box. New charger sent immediately and keep the old one (just can't tell when it's finished a charge cycle)
Old 02-02-2017, 06:47 AM
Banned

I agree with the guys on the electric. I bought a strikemaster lithium Lazer and I'll never go back to a gas powered auger. Most new vehicles have a 120 plug so if you're going on long trips and planning on more than 40 or 50 holes you can charge it on the go. If not inverters are cheap.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:48 AM

I had an older Eskimo bought it 1999 it was an 8" pirhana it was ok, but nothing like my dads 8" jiffy that was bought a few years later. An iceauger should last you along time if you store it properly in the off season. I run seafoam in mine and all toys get premium fuel, quad, pressure washer, chainsaw, etc.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:57 AM

I bought an Eskimo Z71 about 3 years ago. It's never given me any issues to speak of. They're super easy to pull start. You just have to be careful that you don't pull them too hard... my buddy pulled the cord right out of his because he was pulling it like he was trying to start an old lawnmower. I didn't really need the Z71, but I it was kind of a spontaneous purchase and Wholesale had a deal. I think that there was only a $30 price difference between the Z51 and the Z71. And my buddy had a Z51, so naturally I had to get the bigger one ;-).
Also, I enjoy fishing through a 10" hole. I know everyone has their own opinion on this. Also I heard rumblings of the province putting restrictions on 10" holes because they're worried about people stepping in them??? I'm honestly not sure if there's any truth to that.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:37 AM

I used to only run a 6" hand auger until I tried a strikemaster. Friends have always had Jiffy or Eskimo that got the job done but not like a strikemaster. I have had mine for a couple years and warm or cold there is never a starting issue. Always run premium oil and premium fuel (0% ethanol!!!!) and no issues. Mix a fresh batch of fuel every year as well.

I have tried the ion augers and they are definitely pretty neat. I have heard that the strikemaster lithum lazer seems to have an edge on it though - both in battery life and cutting speed.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:24 AM

I too am looking for a new auger. Anyone try the Eskimo HC40? The cutting technology seems like a great idea.

BW
Old 02-02-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:

For Eskimo gas augers I prefer at least the 43 cc for 8 in and the 51 cc for 10 in.
I have the eskimo M43, came with a 8" and I recently updated it to a 10". Lots of power for the 10". Have had it for well over 5 years now and no problems other than me breaking the thumb throttle lever twice. LOL. Always starts within 2 pulls if primed and choked. I have seen them offer the M43 new with the 10".
What ever you get, buy a 10" Great to look through a picture window and pulling a larger fish other than perch up through the hole. Much easier to ice a fish and less fish lost at the hole.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:04 PM

Pretty happy with my 51cc 10in Eskimo. They go on sale fairly regularly.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:43 PM

Ive had my 10 inch Jiffy 3500 series proII for 7-8 years now, and it's junk. I battle through the hard water season with it, but its far from an enjoyable experience. If i were to replace this auger tomorrow, it would be with the 71cc Eskimo.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikka300 View Post
I used to only run a 6" hand auger until I tried a strikemaster. Friends have always had Jiffy or Eskimo that got the job done but not like a strikemaster. I have had mine for a couple years and warm or cold there is never a starting issue. Always run premium oil and premium fuel (0% ethanol!!!!) and no issues. Mix a fresh batch of fuel every year as well.

I have tried the ion augers and they are definitely pretty neat. I have heard that the strikemaster lithum lazer seems to have an edge on it though - both in battery life and cutting speed.
X2 on the Strikemaster. My 10" Solo with the dual blades starts easy, has loads of power and cuts like a machine. As already stated, I run premium with Seafoam and use new fuel every season.......
Old 02-02-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I too am looking for a new auger. Anyone try the Eskimo HC40? The cutting technology seems like a great idea.

BW
I just bought a new HC40 10" propane. It works some nice.
I really like carrying 1lb propane bottles over gas jugs
Old 02-02-2017, 03:53 PM

I don't own one but ive been on the ice with a couple buddies that had the ION and that thing is top notch. no sound, no gas, no fumes, no mixing gas, super light, no scooping holes out(reverse lets u send the slush the other way) On the other hand my little 8" stingray just wont die so I cant justify getting an ION just yet. I have had to replace a lot of stuff on it but that is all because the gas eats the gas line, gas tank, primer bulb. all were not expensive but would not need to be replaced had I had the ION
Old 02-02-2017, 04:25 PM

Just got a strike master honda lite. Starts first pull. Has lots of torque and cuts like a bugger and is much quieter, lighter and better on fuel the old jiffy 2hp auger I had and no mixing gas required either. Only a 2 year warranty on the engine though.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:45 PM

I would recommend ION. It is worth the money, and you won't regret. One charge can give you 20 holes on 2' ice. It is quiet, light, maintenance-free, and environment-friendly.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:37 PM
Banned

I lined up against my z71 that I sold to my buddy with fresh blades and my new strikemaster lithium Lazer. Both had 8 inch flights and I beat him by almost a full hole on a 3 hole race. Z71 34 lbs. Lithium Lazer 24 lbs. Take that how you want but I won't ever go back to a gas auger.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
What ever you get, buy a 10" Great to look through a picture window and pulling a larger fish other than perch up through the hole. Much easier to ice a fish and less fish lost at the hole.
I prefer an 8 inch hole 99% of the time. I only want a 10 inch if going for 20 lb pike/lakers. Sight fishing they are kind of nice too but if I really want I just drill 2-4 holes together with my 8 inch and that solves that.

I don't like the 10 inch augers for normal use because they are so much heavier, slower tougher drilling and too easy to drop things into or accidentally step into.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:41 PM
Banned

I'm with you ravyak. I ran 10 inch for a few years and went back to 8. I've stepped in my own hole to many times. Hole cover tip ups don't fit. It's harder on the body drilling 40 10 inch holes. Nor much benefit to them in my mind.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:45 PM

I have the Eskimo Z51 Shark 10"

Love it. Had it for 5 years now and finally changed the spark plug and blades. I did crack the fuel tank late last year so I had to replace that this fall. Easy fix and $65.
I like the 10" because it's not that heavy, maybe I'm just stronger because I don't have an office job, it's not heavy and I'm never carrying it across a lake. No need to own an 8" and a 10". Just go as big as you can afford.

A couple outtings ago my buddy was drilling holes with it and it snapped a weld on the blade mount. Buddy took it to our local warranty depot and after a bit of a wait since the lady at Eskimo was sick, we have a new 10" flight on its way free of charge.

Great warranty and she fires up easy all the time. I do recommend good oil, I run Opti2 only in all my 2 strokes.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Banned

Go punch 40 holes. Once you get through the first 20 I'll let you try my auger lol.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Go punch 40 holes. Once you get through the first 20 I'll let you try my auger lol.
I would get the ION X but don't feel like spending the $1200 to get what I have now and why would I punch 30 holes without fishing for a while? Plus, when I do help out with kids events I do drill around 20-30 holes. I don't see a problem
Old 02-02-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangpeishen View Post
I would recommend ION. It is worth the money, and you won't regret. One charge can give you 20 holes on 2' ice. It is quiet, light, maintenance-free, and environment-friendly.
20 holes in 2ft of ice isnt enough for me.
The batteries arent cheap.
And if its as reliable as my other battery powered tools its not gonna be good enough
Old 02-02-2017, 08:34 PM

ION X all the way. Take good care of the battery and you won't regret spending the extra dough on it. Maintenance and fuel free. Enviro friendly. No grief. Starts every time at the press of the button. Reverse. Cast bottom. Screws itself right in effortlessly. Never break a sweat again! Lug it around all day, never get sore! Good luck! Will never go back to gas or propane again, ever!
PS- I've cut over 3 dozen holes in a day on a single charge and still had lots of battery with no power loss. All you need is an inverter to plug in to the truck and you can charge in the fly if you really needed to but I haven't so far