Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-12-2013, 01:25 PM

Default LH and RED

Picked up a LH bow last year...and I have been able to have fairly tight groups at 30 yds, shooting with both eyes open. (haven't shot much over as I want to get this yardage down first).

BUT I just realized I'm right eye dominant...

The reading I've done most people say to switch to a RH bow. Like I said I've been able to do consistent groups at 30yds with both eyes open...to avoid re-learning mechanics should I close my right eye, or keep doing what I've been doing??

Hope to get back to the range shortly, just would like some opinions before I head there next!!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:41 PM

I am LH and RED.....I have trained my brain to be able to shoot with both eyes open and I shoot reasonably well.

One thing you can do, this is what I do, close your right eye while you draw and acquire your target, before you shoot open your right eye to shoot with both open.

What this does is force your brain to use the sight picture that your left eye is focused on.....that way the right eye doesn't take over, and you still have the benefit of full peripheral vision.

I shoot rifles (scoped and not scoped), shotguns, handguns the same way.

LC
Old 07-12-2013, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the trick Lefty...will try that out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I am LH and RED.....I have trained my brain to be able to shoot with both eyes open and I shoot reasonably well.

One thing you can do, this is what I do, close your right eye while you draw and acquire your target, before you shoot open your right eye to shoot with both open.

What this does is force your brain to use the sight picture that your left eye is focused on.....that way the right eye doesn't take over, and you still have the benefit of full peripheral vision.

I shoot rifles (scoped and not scoped), shotguns, handguns the same way.

LC
Old 07-12-2013, 03:48 PM

I am right handed with a bow and left eye dominant. I force myself to ignore the image of the pin from my left eye. I consciously train my right eye to be the one to be putting the pin on the target. Sounds weird, but if all else fails you can do the close one eye thing. It takes lots of practice to train your brain, but its worth it in the end, since you don't have to lose one eye of vision while you draw the bow, which in a hunting situation is the moment of truth.

I shoot rifles left handed, just to make it easier. Lol
If that's possible.