Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 PM

Default Reels

I have an orvis frequent flyer 4wt 8.5ft travel rod. I want to upgrade my reel from my current okuma sierra. I was thinking about a sage 2000 series or a hardy ultralight click. I was also drooling over a custom abel trout reel.... but I'm thinkin that's a little rich for my blood...

This setup is what I use for hike-in lakes.

Also, I want to purchase a new 5wt (I think I've settled on an echo3) and I want a cartridge reel for it. I've never owned a cartridge reel before but I was thinkin about a hardy again...

Info on any of these, plus other recommendations would be appreciated!

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 PM

I would wait a bit until you feel the Abel fits your budget. Keep using the one you have or make a sacrifice somewhere else in your life and do it now. The main reason for this thinking is if you buy the slight upgrade now, sooner than later you will go - geez if i would of spent the extra hundred or what ever it would be i would of had my Abel. Buy once and buy right. It actually is the cheaper way to go in the long run. This little exercise will also help you in later years if your not married now. Sell the old reel after you get Abel. If you say you are going to do this it also helps justifying the purchase to yourself.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Banned

WOW!
We must be brothers from different mothers er sumthin??
Coincidentally,I was just today fondling an Abel Creek1 w/brown trout finish at BRT,and thisssssss close to placing my order for the AC1 in deep blue to match my new Sage 3wt blank.The only thing stopping me....well....truth is a few things stopped me....I'm off work for the next month,it probly won't see any or very little use until May anyhow,I have 2 Hardy deals in the works thru another flyfishn forum at the moment......and the missus is gonna shat kittens when she catches on to my shopn spree......so I think I'll just let her buy me the AC1 for my birthday in May....giver time to settle down over the 2 Hardys,moooooowaaaaaahahahaaaaaaa!!
"But really babe,buddy cut me a sweet deal cuz I bought'em both.....look how much money I saved!"...hehe

Seriously though,I'm a click'n pawl fanboy...a salmon running on a Hardy to me is THE sound of flyfishing.I'd say buy the Hardy and know that your grandson will fish it with pride someday.....he'll probly never even see the Sage?I actually kinda had my sights set on matching a Sage Click3 to this rod until I took a hard look at them and decided they are way overpriced with stupid plastic pawl and some poor reviews in regards to the weak drag setting that can be prone to spool overrun.
So then it came down to either another Hardy or my first Abel?I think the custom color option sold me on giving the Abel the nod?

Yea sure the high-end stuff is an unnecesary,excessive personal indulgence,especially given the fact that I've always preached that the reel is the least important component of a fly rig,but I calculate things in terms of cases of beer and/or packs of smokes....so I might have to buy a few less of each next month...big deal,probly be better for it,and I've blown more $$ in a night on "personal indulgences" on many occasions and woke up with nothing but a headache to show for it,so WTF,I'm getting me some new toys this spring.

Last edited by grinr; 03-21-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I would wait a bit until you feel the Abel fits your budget. Keep using the one you have or make a sacrifice somewhere else in your life and do it now. The main reason for this thinking is if you buy the slight upgrade now, sooner than later you will go - geez if i would of spent the extra hundred or what ever it would be i would of had my Abel. Buy once and buy right. It actually is the cheaper way to go in the long run. This little exercise will also help you in later years if your not married now. Sell the old reel after you get Abel. If you say you are going to do this it also helps justifying the purchase to yourself.
I just say oh you just bought 1000 dollar shoes, im buying a new winston rod and hardy reel. thanks wife.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 AM

If you have the passion for fly fishing just do it, get want you want. All the time we spend pursuing our passions is what life is about. Get the best out of each dollar you earn, you deserve it. That being said, for any reel under a 6wt you really don't need a $250 plus reel. Get the Abel, Tibor or whatever if you really need that super drag for 8wt plus.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:07 AM

bernie maldof's son owns abel. every time i see an abel reel i can't help but think of what a dirtbag/slimbag/scumbag those guys are. i'll never own an abel.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 AM

Not anymore! Sold it to a Colorado company (kritofr - local Abel expert will pipe in here with the deets).

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
bernie maldof's son owns abel. every time i see an abel reel i can't help but think of what a dirtbag/slimbag/scumbag those guys are. i'll never own an abel.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 AM

probably for a huge profit...........scumbag!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
WOW!
We must be brothers from different mothers er sumthin??
Haha! must be! I was lookin at a click for my 2wt at the fly fishing expo! again, for no actual drag system, they are extremely overpriced.... I do like click and pawl very much as well. On heavy duty(er) rigs I do like the Lamson-Waterworks.... and was considering trying one of the new Speedsters. I was eyeballing the Abel in moss green/pink.

So many toys, so few paychecks

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 03-22-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
probably for a huge profit...........scumbag!!!
But it is his son as you said not Bernie.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Not anymore! Sold it to a Colorado company (kritofr - local Abel expert will pipe in here with the deets).
http://www.abelreels.com/news/9/40/M...utomatics.html

Thanks Peter, I am a bit of a reel junkie and am quite fond of Abel reels. So I will add some input here.......

Yes a Madoff did own Abel reels, Steve Madoff, son on of the infamous Bernie (Mr Ponzi) Madoff. However his son has tried to distance himself from his father and his history.

However to condemn a company who has always treated their clients properly with both great product and service is unfair. Even more unfair to put such a opinion on a forum especially when the information is incorrect.

Abel is a top notch company, they take pride in their work and do not outsource any component of their reels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TWUAM9mDDU

Above is a great link on how they manufacture their reels
Old 03-22-2013, 12:09 PM

i apologize, i was unaware that it had changed hands in january.

thousands of people lost everything(including friends of mine), the madoff family got rich. the old man took a plea bargain/protecting his family. it's common knowledge/old news.

steve abel made a great product, and it is still a great product.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:23 PM

Check this deal out on a great reel. Good until Monday.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_d...ubcat_id=32274
Old 03-22-2013, 02:28 PM

Great sugestion BBT! Just be cautious if I remember correctly Orvis charges an extra handling fee to Canadians in addition to the shipping and only uses UPS!! If you can have it sent to some in the US that can either bring it up or send it up, you will do ok!!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:26 PM

How about an Islander Reel -made in Canada
Available in most ff shops.

Don
Old 03-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
How about an Islander Reel -made in Canada
Available in most ff shops.

Don
Islanders are beautiful reels and wayyy up there on my must have list.I'd have probly went with Islander this time around if they made a smaller LA click/pawl.
Islander LX 3.8 is on my bucket list for my next 8wt salmon rod.