Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2013, 02:26 PM

Question Crafting Eyes

JR is asking about making eyes with line. we saw this done by one of the tiers at the FFE last year. basically the technique used was as per the video link below. can any of you experienced tiers add any tips or tricks to this? has anyone ever experimented or used fly line vs. mono? any shared knowledge is appreciated. he's currently in stonefly nymph mode .thanks.

http://www.intheriffle.com/fishing-v...ing-mono-eyes/

Dace
Old 03-17-2013, 05:28 PM

Smile

Dace..

Used fly line wil not work unless it is a clear mono line. Regular line is a nylon or Dacron core c/w a PVC coating.
The video shown is how most of us make eyes.
The only trout sized food where eyes are prominate are minnows, dragon fly nymphs and damsels. Most of the rest really don't matter much.
Damsels usually have light olive eyes and dragons are dark olive to black. Both are tough to do without dying the eyes after making them. Buying what you need is a whole lot easier.
Dying mono is quite easy. Do it similar to other materials. Dyes are available from the major tying suppliers. Also clothing dyes work.
Unless you are tying hundreds of the same pattern, dying eyes is hardy worth the effort.

Regards,

Don
Old 03-17-2013, 08:50 PM

I do the same as what the guy in the video does, except I push the soft heated mono against my vice base. This along with using 50# mono gives me a fairly large eye if I want. I color mine with a permanent marker in the appropriate color.

I have used colored beads with mono as well if I need bigger eyes. Heat one side and press against a hard surface to get the mono big enough to contain the bead. Slide two beads on the mono and trim to appropriate size and heat other side and repeat the heat and press. Then the assembly can be tied unto the hook shank. This is quit a bit lighter than brass bum-bell eyes, if that is a concern.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-23-2013, 10:21 PM

thanks guys.

he's been experimenting with mono eyes on a couple mysis shrimp patterns as well as a flat tied stonefly nymph using a kahle hook. if anyone has a proven alberta waters shrimp pattern they'd care to share, that would be cool. i'll post pics of a couple of these bugs he's been playing with here in the next couple days.

pikergolf he hasn't tried your suggested method yet. he did nod his head though when he read it and said, that'll work need to get some heavier mono though.

Dace
Old 03-24-2013, 08:16 AM

Default Mono Eyes

I use Mono eyes and for larger eyed I am a believer in reflective material . Self adhesive reflective material . I am trying luminous paint black pupil and coating with nail polish . Can't hurt to try on the larger patterns .