Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-16-2013, 03:46 PM

Default starting up tying

Just moved up to Edmonton last week and I'm already bored, so I think in going to start tying. Since ill be in edmonton I figure ill try tying mostly pike streamers, any reccomendations on what to by or even an approximate price? Are those beginner tying kits any good?
Old 03-16-2013, 04:12 PM

I think your best bet is to get a decent vice, google best value in vice etc. and do a little research. If you get a good one it will be easier to sell if you decide you want something else.

Then research the patterns you want to tie and buy the exact materials you'll need. Kits are aimed more at trout and contain a lot of stuff you'll never use unless you tie for trout, even then I don't think they are a good value.

You'll need a good pair of scissors, a good bobin, whip finishing tool, and some head cement.

Some ideas for patterns as well as a wealth of info can be found here.
http://www.flytyingforum.com/

Youtube is great for info as well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-16-2013, 04:43 PM

Join the Northern Lights club: http://www.nlft.org/

For a vise, I would suggest a Peak or Apex from BassPro....should run about $120-$150....buy everything else separately....once you meet some tyers in Ed, they can likely steer you to some good local supply shops.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:14 PM

Check out a local fly tying club or take some lessons to see if you would even want to do it long term. You do need patience and dexterity. I taught tying and found my people would buy equipment and then it would sit in a drawer when they found it to be too frustrating for them. Others found it to be a rewarding life long hobby. I actually have a write upon my blog "s Fly tying for You?"

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 03-18-2013, 06:28 AM

I started tying about 9 months ago and am just now really starting to enjoy it. The flies are actually starting to look like something, and I am not afraid to show a few of them to people either! I'm by far not the best person in the world at fine detail work, however in tying, you always have the option to go back a step (long as its not whipped off) and correct minor errors!

Enjoy the beginning of a lifelong addiction
Old 03-18-2013, 06:18 PM

When your learning learn the proper proportions and how to measure according to hook size it will help a lot.