Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 AM

Default Bow river flys

I am heading out today to the bow and was going try a saun Juan worm with a prince nymph at the bottom. Any other suggestions ?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:57 AM

stay close on bottom!!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:29 PM

don't go with an attitude of "i'm going to use xyz" walk into the water, knee deep and pull up a rock.... match what nymphs are crawling on the rock. Fish these below the worm
Old 03-11-2013, 03:01 PM

Jay's advice is good.
Here is another point of view. Don't nymph. Walk out further, cast as far as you can with a sinking line of some kind. Throw something the fish have never seen before (or something they have)...but looks intriguing from a fish's point of view.
Let the line swing across the current then slowly strip it back to yourself. Repeat as required.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:57 PM

Use a red wire worm with a very small size red chironomid underneath, I put one BB split shot a bit above the wire worm, and the indicator about 6 to 7 feet above the bottom fly, this works very well for me at fish creek park a bit upstream from hulls wood, always try to stay in deep pools, BUT the only thing I can seem to catch on this setup is whitefish, anybody know where to go to catch some trout on the bow in winter and what to use?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFlyfishin View Post
Use a red wire worm with a very small size red chironomid underneath, I put one BB split shot a bit above the wire worm, and the indicator about 6 to 7 feet above the bottom fly, this works very well for me at fish creek park a bit upstream from hulls wood, always try to stay in deep pools, BUT the only thing I can seem to catch on this setup is whitefish, anybody know where to go to catch some trout on the bow in winter and what to use?
Lengthen your leader to 10' to your first fly. Forego the chironomid, and fish the biggest worm you can. The whitefish will leave the worm alone if its a size 2-4. As for a dropper, fish a hares ear, leech, or stone. Should limit the amount of whites you catch. Head to a starting point further downstream from hulls wood.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Banned

Darkish streamers with a little flash in them...and run it along the rivers bank edge.
No need to get in the icy water
Old 03-11-2013, 08:41 PM

i took my son out on saturday, we caught a 22 inch brown, 17 inch rainbow, and 13 whitefish in just a couple of hours, were usuing 14 foot leaders, 2 split shot and pheasant tail for a top flie and a flashback haresear gold beahead for the second flie all but one fish caught on the haresear, not to mention we probably lost a half dozen between the 2 of us. fishing any where from a ft and ahalf of water to 7 ft, make sure you can feel the flies tagging bottom. lost an asbolute beauty brown.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 PM

Can I ask why you would need a 14ft leader in 7 feet of water?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Can I ask why you would need a 14ft leader in 7 feet of water?
i have fished the bow for the last 15 years and i can tell you for certain that this time of the yr the fish don't move around alot, its best to pattern the water your fishing, i like to pattern my area in 6inch runs, basically if that flie isn't banging off everything down below the fish arn't going to take it, you litteraly have to bounce it right in front of there faces, i started the day with a 10 foot but after 10 minutes move to the 14 ft leader, first cast and fish on, trust me give it a try, your success will improve 10 fold
Old 03-11-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat111 View Post
i have fished the bow for the last 15 years and i can tell you for certain that this time of the yr the fish don't move around alot, its best to pattern the water your fishing, i like to pattern my area in 6inch runs, basically if that flie isn't banging off everything down below the fish arn't going to take it, you litteraly have to bounce it right in front of there faces, i started the day with a 10 foot but after 10 minutes move to the 14 ft leader, first cast and fish on, trust me give it a try, your success will improve 10 fold
Why change something that works right?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:26 PM

X2 on the long leader maybe not fourteen feet but hey if it works. I usually use a 10 foot leader and vary the length of the dropper 2 foot max. Lots of weight to get the flies down quick.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:04 PM

Thanks bhflyfisher
Old 03-15-2013, 02:47 PM

Any good spots for trout this time of year on the bow?
Old 03-15-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
X2 on the long leader maybe not fourteen feet but hey if it works. I usually use a 10 foot leader and vary the length of the dropper 2 foot max. Lots of weight to get the flies down quick.
As long as your hooks are bouncing on the bottom does your leader length Realy matter? Fish in the bow aren't line or leader shy. What is the advantage of the long leader. With a minimum length leader as possible I can see my mend in my fly line better. Am I missing something?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:49 AM

I am going out in about an hours time and would really like to catch a trout at policemans flats, I have one rod with a golden stone fly first and a larger hares ear at bottom, and one rod with a red wire worm up top and a green pine squirrel leech at bottom, does this sound like a good setup? Please I need some quick replies!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 01:42 PM

good luck, have you looked at the temp?
Your leader and flys will be coated in a nice layer of ice in no time
Old 03-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
good luck, have you looked at the temp?
Your leader and flys will be coated in a nice layer of ice in no time
Iv fished in -30 while steelheading and for trout, their are products to help with that issue.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
As long as your hooks are bouncing on the bottom does your leader length Realy matter? Fish in the bow aren't line or leader shy. What is the advantage of the long leader. With a minimum length leader as possible I can see my mend in my fly line better. Am I missing something?
I used to use just the standard length 7' never hooked up with a lot of fish. Started using the longer leader with my indicator right up tight to my leader fly line connection my catch rate has greatly increased on the bow. They say to use 2x the actual depth of the water. I believe it helps the flies and weight down before the fly line starts pulling the flies down stream. Just my opinion.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:31 PM

Most of the Bow isn't very deep. I've never felt I needed to go over 9ft. Mending helps.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:48 PM

agreed mending helps but every time you mend the fly line it pulls the flies up slightly. It works for me. I have caught some big fish almost right after someone has left a spot. Try it some time you'll be surprised.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 PM

Going out this weekend any suggestions? lol last trip was horrible slush everywhere couldn't even cast into river had to leave after 10 mins everything including my flies froze, BUT it is supposed to be a lot nicer this weekend than last weekend I went out
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
agreed mending helps but every time you mend the fly line it pulls the flies up slightly.
Ummmm....not if you do it right.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFlyfishin View Post
Going out this weekend any suggestions? lol last trip was horrible slush everywhere couldn't even cast into river had to leave after 10 mins everything including my flies froze, BUT it is supposed to be a lot nicer this weekend than last weekend I went out
go when the temperature is closer to zero. when the temp is below 0 your line and fly will freeze unless you are using some sort of coating for ice on your line and guides

as for slush if its been constant weather thats not extremely cold then there will be less if any on the water.

personally what i always use as my top fly would be a beadhead sjw, underneath it i change it up between prince nymphs, hares ear, midges, zug bugs, pheasant tails.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:18 AM

When you mend...don't move the indicator
Old 03-22-2013, 12:45 PM

Yeah! My success on the bow improved dramatically with the long (flat) leaders. Absolutely go with long leaders. Drag plays a significant roll on the depth of the fly, and I was once told by a guide that the indicator should be a MINIMUM 1/3 longer than the depth of the river. For 6' water, use a 9' leader under the indicator etc. As long as you can see the connection between fly and indicator, you will not lose fish because of slack even on a super long leader.

Last time I was on the bow there was a LOT of back swimmer action. My combo was two back swimmers and a red wire worm. Worked great.

Those are my thoughts.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I used to use just the standard length 7' never hooked up with a lot of fish. Started using the longer leader with my indicator right up tight to my leader fly line connection my catch rate has greatly increased on the bow. They say to use 2x the actual depth of the water. I believe it helps the flies and weight down before the fly line starts pulling the flies down stream. Just my opinion.
x2 on the double depth.