Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-16-2008, 10:46 PM

Default Mikisew lures?

Hey guys, I just bought a trip to Mikisew for two at a DU dinner and auction and am wondering what I should be taking for lures. I want to pare it down as you are only allowed 100 lbs. of luggage,including your food and libations.I will call Tim tomorrow to see about openings but I am leaning towards earlier as opposed to later.I would think big white tubes for the lakers but what about the pike and walleye.I'm also bringing my flie rod and some big streamers.Any help would be great.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Administrator

If you can get a time in June the flyrod and big flies are key. But don't, whatever you do, go without a good selection of William's Bulleys for your casting or trolling gear. The gold/red are proven winners but take some silver/green with you as well. Don't get the small ones's either - choose the mid-size. And make sure your flies are as big and ugly as can be!!

If you can get Colin or Charles Lake (North Camp) in June you're on your way to some fine fishing.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:55 PM
Administrator

And do some trolling with your flies around any structure you can find. If you don't have a wet line just put a spit-shot on the leader of your dry line to get you down a few feet.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:46 AM

Rob pretty much nailed it. I've been to Charles 8 years in row now. It's almost impossible to get an early season slot since the lakers are up shallow and this appeals to many people. If you do manage one right after ice off, look for gravel points and shallow water. I've caught them (lakers) in 2 ft of water. Normal, big, ugly pike flies work. I prefer ones with alot of white in them.
Most likely, the slots will be July or August. This is a good time still. Pike are done spawning, lakers are easy to find. Williams whitefish 90 have been the ticket for us on lakers in about 40-60 feet of water. Look for transitions in the deep water.
For pike, I like to bring the flies out and look for shallow water near transitions to deep holes.
Also, trolling big rapalas magnums at sundown in about 20 feet of water are killer for big pike.
I actually prefer going July or August up there. Have fun. Tim is a good guy.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:17 AM

We always had good luck with the len thompson lures in five a diamonds,nickel blue and rainbow trout in sizes 2 and 4 also the williams whitefish lures for lakers and big pike. For walleye we used the walleye divers and rattlin spots and bottom bouncer spinner rigs.