Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-27-2017, 10:12 AM
Banned

Exclamation Orange Invasion.

I have heard about people seeing seeing huge Orange (and other color) Goldfish in some local stocked ponds, but the ones in St. Albert AB have got to be the toughest breed out there.
I was reading an article about how somebody had relesaed a pair of goldfish into the Edgewater storm pond in St Albert, and how they now number in the thousands and are growing a foot long. In 2015 they drained the pond so it would freeze solid, but the gold fish survived. In 2016 they eltrocuted and netted them, but they survived. St Albert's director of the environment say's he thinks of Zombie movies when talking about these goldfish. This year they are going to try poison, as they are now in 2 ponds and are getting closer to the Sturgeon river.
It would almost be funny except that apparantly goldfish can be an environmental disaster if they get established in AB natural waterways.
Can any members here let me know if a person could close to these ponds? I'd like to bring my Grandson down to see them, and possibly even fish for a few.
Yeh,yeh, I'm sure it's illegal to fish for them.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I have heard about people seeing seeing huge Orange (and other color) Goldfish in some local stocked ponds, but the ones in St. Albert AB have got to be the toughest breed out there.
I was reading an article about how somebody had relesaed a pair of goldfish into the Edgewater storm pond in St Albert, and how they now number in the thousands and are growing a foot long. In 2015 they drained the pond so it would freeze solid, but the gold fish survived. In 2016 they eltrocuted and netted them, but they survived. St Albert's director of the environment say's he thinks of Zombie movies when talking about these goldfish. This year they are going to try poison, as they are now in 2 ponds and are getting closer to the Sturgeon river.
It would almost be funny except that apparantly goldfish can be an environmental disaster if they get established in AB natural waterways.
Can any members here let me know if a person could close to these ponds? I'd like to bring my Grandson down to see them, and possibly even fish for a few.
They are so close to Prussian carp only a biologist can tell the difference so slay away

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-27-2017, 12:19 PM

Some of those fish in these ponds are definitely longer than a foot!

People are catching and releasing them there.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:59 PM

saw an article today that they have poisoned the pond now, pulled out 4000 fish. can't seem to find the link now though.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:12 PM

Golf course in Med hat had hundreds of them in a pond, guess where they all ended up when we had our second hundred year flood. Yes the river.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-27-2017, 07:32 PM

Default Bodies galore

Pond poisoned, dead fishy along pond,kids busy netting the bodies in buckets and hulking them away, that just seemed ironic stopped by to talk to the grown ups, as they read somewhere I.e paper it's natural perfectly safe! My response doesn't smell to good, ddt was supposed to be safe too, I wonder where there going to dump all those bodies, dads reply guys wash your hand when you get home, side note local heron was busy filling up before winter
Old 09-28-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Thousands of them in beaumaris lake and bearspaw lake. There are several other stormwater lakes that also have the thriving goldfish .
Old 09-29-2017, 12:50 AM

Are they really a problem? Never heard of them establishing in any natural waterway in Alberta, only in storm water ponds or self-enclosed trout ponds. If that's the case, who cares? Or are they actually infesting natural waterways in the prairies and we need to be concerned? I think pike and walleye would make quick work of any goldfish in natural waterways.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:44 AM

Default Asian carp

something needed to be done before its to late,which they might be already headed into the North Sask. river via the Sturgeon . LOok at what the Asian carp is doing to the us waterways and is close to or in the Great Lakes, native species don't have a chance.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h3vgSq6KpQ8
The more educated, the better we all are.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:10 AM

100 pike. Problem solved, naturally and without any risk to anything.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
Thousands of them in beaumaris lake and bearspaw lake. There are several other stormwater lakes that also have the thriving goldfish .
I have a buddy who has a Koi pond. He says he would love to get some of those big Koi that are in Beaumaris pond. I'm not sure if that is legal, and I hate to ask. Sounds like it could be fun though.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:50 AM

Default Biologist friend

He used to put in a few tiger muskies, they are sterile and grow very large very fast. In the fall after they had consumed all the other fish in the lake, he'd net them out and then in the spring introduce the species that they were trying to establish, usually brook trout.

Might work here.