Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 12:26 AM

Default Sherburne

Any updates on access to the launch? With the good weather forecast this week it would be nice to go for a fall outing. Been trying to get updates from smrid but last news was from august.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:14 AM

Was just by there yesterday and the road is still blocked
Old 09-26-2017, 07:58 AM

You will probably be lucky to have access by next year... Things like this don't happen overnight(which is months in situations like this lol).

Probably have to have a monitored boat launch and possibly even a wash station there if they do believe it is infected.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
You will probably be lucky to have access by next year... Things like this don't happen overnight(which is months in situations like this lol).

Probably have to have a monitored boat launch and possibly even a wash station there if they do believe it is infected.
The lake is NOT infested! I cannot be more clear. IT IS NOT INFESTED! Being an unmonitored launch, it is considered high risk, especially with all the boats being caught entering the province, and a few that got through to BC

We are working towards a solution, we are working with SMRID towards a solution, and are currently working on a design for a gate at the launch. Most of us work in agriculture, including board members of the SMRID, so it slowed down. Hopefully we should have a solution very soon.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:56 PM

There are several other unmonitored boat launches in southern alberta but this lake seems to be the only issue.... why?
Old 09-26-2017, 01:22 PM

All the other ones the water has been lowered to the point you could not get within 20 meters of the water.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:12 PM
Banned

Meh.. should be one hell of an ice fishing season then!
Old 09-26-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
There are several other unmonitored boat launches in southern alberta but this lake seems to be the only issue.... why?
This is one of a couple of unmonitored launches that access SMRID reservoirs from SMRID land. If invasive species are introduced to irrigation structures, the cost to mitigate them will be astronomical. Most other launches have monitors of some sort, such as campground host. The SMRID did a fantastic job of explaining thier position at our meeting, and we all support them in an effort to mitigate this. There is a solution, just need some time to put it in place.

SMRID CANNOT control access to lakes, only thier reservoirs. They will take all action necessary to ensure that the reservoirs are protected, and rightly so.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouleerunner View Post
This is one of a couple of unmonitored launches that access SMRID reservoirs from SMRID land. If invasive species are introduced to irrigation structures, the cost to mitigate them will be astronomical. Most other launches have monitors of some sort, such as campground host. The SMRID did a fantastic job of explaining thier position at our meeting, and we all support them in an effort to mitigate this. There is a solution, just need some time to put it in place.

SMRID CANNOT control access to lakes, only thier reservoirs. They will take all action necessary to ensure that the reservoirs are protected, and rightly so.
I understand the whole invasive species predicament, I just thought it was odd that this was the only lake they seemed concerned about. St Mary's and Jensen are both unmonitored as well, so I assume then that the access to these lakes is on private land and there is nothing SMRID can do to restrict access to these ones?
Old 09-26-2017, 10:40 PM

Oh I thought they figured it had a chance of being infected or something and didn't realize it was just closed because SMRID felt like it.

I guess most lakes in AB are high risk for mussels...
Old 09-27-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
I understand the whole invasive species predicament, I just thought it was odd that this was the only lake they seemed concerned about. St Mary's and Jensen are both unmonitored as well, so I assume then that the access to these lakes is on private land and there is nothing SMRID can do to restrict access to these ones?
St mary's and jensen are not controlled by SMRID, St mary's is gov't of alberta not sure who controls jensen but it's not SMRID
Old 09-28-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcodh View Post
St mary's and jensen are not controlled by SMRID, St mary's is gov't of alberta not sure who controls jensen but it's not SMRID
I see... I wonder if there is somewhere that says which reservoirs are controlled by who, it would be interesting to know.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:22 PM

The guy that closed grassy said that he was in charge of chin east and had no control of the western portion. Also said that he knew he would upset a lot of people but he felt he had to do something. Think about it!

No body at Watertown, st Mary's, Jensen, ridge is questionable, chin has a host, but they close grassy. It will be a long time before this makes ny since in my head.

There is more probability that something is introduced up stream of Sherburne. Way more out of province boat traffic at st. Mary's with no monitoring. And in the end it all ends up in the south saskatchwan river after rattlesnake and then into sask etc. Mussels are not the problem here. Somebody knows more than they are saying. All smoke and mirrors from my point of view.

All I have to say. Out